Moving To Another Country To Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I did a year abroad at the University of North Carolina Wilmington and I LOVED it. Applying for the program was the best decision I ever made and I had the time of my life. Study abroad is a really fantastic experience and definitely one worth pursuing. I know it's expensive but it gives you so much more back in return. You meet amazing people from other countries and cultures and have the opportunity to study in a new exciting location and do lots of travelling too!

My biggest regret however is not cheering while I was there. I couldn't join the college team as the tryouts were held before I came over and then I was too scared to just turn up at the local gym. I wasn't on fierceboard back then and since I've come home I've talked to people from the gym I could have joined who said I would have been completely welcome.

scottish_cheerleader you should have gone to Wyoming! I know people who went there and loved it!

I'm sure any gym in Canada would welcome you, but honestly it's barely different from the US, so if i were you and looking to cheer/live abroad, i would probably choose somewhere else to get the full experience

Something a lot of people do here in New Zealand is go on student exchange programmes at university. It's where you pay the university's normal fees, but get to study overseas for a year. It's pretty much the cheapest option for studying abroad so maybe that could be an option?

I'm not so sure about Australia, but I know in NZ many, many cheerleading clubs would love to have you. American cheerleaders are somewhat of a novelty as we all really look up to you. Most clubs here aren't as stringent as they are in the US about joining at the start of a season - usually, you can join at any time, though to get into a high level team requires some pretty good talent.

So yes, to answer your question, it's definitely possible!

Back