All-Star My Daughter Wants To Quit Allstar Cheer...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No matter what my kids say, I will always make them finish what they started. No quitting! I might be 'Old Fashioned', but that's the values my parents taught me when I was a kid.

No matter what my kids say, I will always make them finish what they started. No quitting! I might be 'Old Fashioned', but that's the values my parents taught me when I was a kid.

There is a difference between quitting in the middle of competition season and quitting now, during the summer. This is really the only acceptable time to quit. I really don't even consider it quitting, since they're just getting started for the upcoming season, it's more of a "deciding not to cheer".

We have a younger girl who is a flyer on my team. Her mom likes her in cheer and she has said in the past she does it only for her mom. i have seen her struggle with mental blocks in ber flying ad well as her tumbling it is sad to watch. If someone wants to quit or take a break it is def better to let them and if they miss it let them go back, she is super young anyways so she has plenty of time to go back if she chooses.

I had to take the season off this year due to alot of reasons complied together. I need to work alot to start saving for college spending money next year. And being captain of my HS cheer team, I couldnt ask my employer to have off monday,tuesday,wednesday for practice. friday for football decorating. saturday for football games and sunday for competitions. Also my mom is really sick and cheerleading shouldnt be a financial or physical burden. I was given the choice but I respected my parents and situation and decided to take the season off, and since Im going to college in a year, Im probably done with allstar until my kids are in it lol. Long story short, Its only been a couple months and I miss it SO much. Even the nasty hot summer weather and conditioning. Explain to her its going to be a loonggg year without cheerleading at its a pretty permanent solution, just make sure shes ready to face a season without cheering
Thanks for the advice!! I hope your mom is feeling better :)

By any chance did your daughter progress quickly before making level 5? You said she was 12? Sometimes when kids progress too fast their brain will put the breaks on..... resulting in mental blocks or quitting.
This is her 6th year in allstars. In the last 2 years she has went from a round bs tuck (level 3 but our gym only had a level 2) to a Senior open 5. I'm not sure if thats really progressing fast but...I think the summer off is good and we will see what happens a choreography time :)

We have a younger girl who is a flyer on my team. Her mom likes her in cheer and she has said in the past she does it only for her mom. i have seen her struggle with mental blocks in ber flying ad well as her tumbling it is sad to watch. If someone wants to quit or take a break it is def better to let them and if they miss it let them go back, she is super young anyways so she has plenty of time to go back if she chooses.
Totally agree!!!! Thanks!

I have always said I would quit cheering after I win worlds or after I finish four years of college, whichever comes first. But now as i'm entering my sophomore year of college, I am starting to think this may be my last year no matter what happens. Since i go to school and cheer in KY I basically have summers off except for tumbling, and at this point i'm not even missing it a whole lot. As much as I don't want it to, I know my time to retire is coming. I think if your daughter still does not miss it like crazy after the summer, or even in a few weeks then I would not push her to continue cheering. But she also has to understand that if she chooses to go back come the end of summer her spot will most likely not be waiting for her. Good Luck with everything I know how hard of a decision this can be! :)

My daughter was stressed for a few reasons in the beginning of this past season and was having heart pains so when she said she wanted to quit I didn't question it. So through tears we talked to the coaches and owners and they were VERY supportive and understanding and said if she wanted to come back they would be very happy to have her back. Her younger sister was still cheering at the gym so she was always at the competitions and I think it really was hard for her to not be competing. She then tried her high school competition squad and it didn't quite fill the void of all star so when that season was over she came back to the all-star gym. Her spot on the Junior 5 team had been filled but she went onto the Senior 4 team and was very happy to be competing again. I think the key was to have a great relationship with the coaches and kids at the gym. She never felt left out and the kids at the gym were also very supportive, her extended family. It is easier to take a break now BEFORE she is worked into a routine and they have to replace her. She can still support her team by watching them and hopefully she too will decide to go back when she is ready. Good luck!

I would let her quit but would encourage her to stay in tumbling classes at the gym so she doesn't lose her skills. If she was good enough to make a Senior Open 5 at 12, there may even be a possibility that they would be willing to take her back on the team if she changes her mind early enough.

I'm facing a similar dilemma.. kind of. I love allstar cheerleading and the sport and the idea of going to big competitions and doing great. However, my small town gym just doesn't have the means to have a serious, good program. I've cheered there for several years, and it's just slowly declining. Things just aren't the same and I don't enjoy it anymore. I never ever imagined quitting, but I feel like I have no other choice. I'd love to go an hour away to a great gym, but time and money just don't add up. I ended up quitting, because it's just wayyy too much time and money to spend on something I don't love as much as I used to. I'm taking a year to reevaluate and branch out :)

I would let her quit but would encourage her to stay in tumbling classes at the gym so she doesn't lose her skills. If she was good enough to make a Senior Open 5 at 12, there may even be a possibility that they would be willing to take her back on the team if she changes her mind early enough.
She will be starting back tumbling classes on Monday....has been off for about 3 weeks (on vacation). Hopefully when she gets back in the gym she will miss it. If not I won't push her she can take the year off and just tumble and reevaluate next year :) Cheers!!!

I'm facing a similar dilemma.. kind of. I love allstar cheerleading and the sport and the idea of going to big competitions and doing great. However, my small town gym just doesn't have the means to have a serious, good program. I've cheered there for several years, and it's just slowly declining. Things just aren't the same and I don't enjoy it anymore. I never ever imagined quitting, but I feel like I have no other choice. I'd love to go an hour away to a great gym, but time and money just don't add up. I ended up quitting, because it's just wayyy too much time and money to spend on something I don't love as much as I used to. I'm taking a year to reevaluate and branch out :)
We're also from a somewhat small town. Not a lot of options for cheer gyms. Only 2 decent gyms in town. We were lucky enough for ICE to open here. Its hard when you don't have options and its too much money to pay for a level you clearly shouldn't be on. I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you!!!

Back