All-Star My Daughter Wants To Quit Allstar Cheer...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let her try other things! It may be hard to explore outside of your comfort zone of cheerleading, but she's at the age where nothing is too competitive yet and it's a great time to try out new sports or activities. She could wind up being a great artist, good at an instrument, or even get a scholarship to college for soccer! You'll never know until she tries. Good Luck :)
Thanks for the great advice!!! Love Gymtyme!!! A local girl where we live use to be on a team you may know her-Haley Imel!!! Congrats on Worlds too!!!

Like I said, let them lead they way and it all works out. I applaud you for listening to her and allowing it to be her decision. Nice summer break for you. Good luck, hope you have a great season.

Maybe it was too much to fast at only 12. Taking a blow sounds like the best thing to do here. If she stays away and starts to miss it, she'll let you know. This sport is way too expensive for the athletes not to be committed to the year-round grind and they need to want to go to practice and enjoy the grind. Otherwise, it just won't work. If she quits and doesn't go back, it was meant to be. It could just simply be she's getting older and has other interests besides cheering and is starting to realize this. Definitely offer her to continue tumbling and let her do it when she wants to. This way, if she's still on the fence, she still has the skills and conditioning to get back into it. The last thing you want to do is force her to do something she isn't into. That never works and is a big waste of money. Perhaps after time, she will miss it and get the itch to come back but as mentioned earlier, she has to miss it first. Good luck in whatever she does.

Maybe it was too much to fast at only 12. Taking a blow sounds like the best thing to do here. If she stays away and starts to miss it, she'll let you know. This sport is way too expensive for the athletes not to be committed to the year-round grind and they need to want to go to practice and enjoy the grind. Otherwise, it just won't work. If she quits and doesn't go back, it was meant to be. It could just simply be she's getting older and has other interests besides cheering and is starting to realize this. Definitely offer her to continue tumbling and let her do it when she wants to. This way, if she's still on the fence, she still has the skills and conditioning to get back into it. The last thing you want to do is force her to do something she isn't into. That never works and is a big waste of money. Perhaps after time, she will miss it and get the itch to come back but as mentioned earlier, she has to miss it first. Good luck in whatever she does.
She took a break and now she's back! yay! see above : )

Well, glad to hear she missed it and went back:) I was just gonna say, every kid is different. I have 2 and they are COMPLETELY different. One's been doing it since age of 9 and plans on continuing into college if possible, the other quit after 4 years and never looked back. They are just different people and I had to respect their individual decisions, even though the one who quit had a much more natural tumbling ability. The "obsessed" one had to work much harder for her tumbling, but was a more natural "all around" cheerleader. And her love of it is undeniable. Best of luck!

At first I was upset with her decision. I thought maybe I wanted it more than she did. After getting some advice from you all and my cheer fam I decided she needs to be the one to make the decision. I def didn't want to push her to do something she didn't want to do. I'm so glad she missed it and really enjoys what she does. Thanks for all your help... can't wait for this season. Go Black ICE!

At first I was upset with her decision. I thought maybe I wanted it more than she did. After getting some advice from you all and my cheer fam I decided she needs to be the one to make the decision. I def didn't want to push her to do something she didn't want to do. I'm so glad she missed it and really enjoys what she does. Thanks for all your help... can't wait for this season. Go Black ICE!

The good thing was she is still very young, if she had decided to take a year out. If she was a few years older going through this might have had a different outcome. Good luck this season:)

When my daughter wanted to quit, it broke my heart, but I let her do it. As upsetting as it is for us moms to let them quit, if she really wants to quit, you have to let her do it. It makes no sense to pay thousands of dollars on a sport that her heart isn't in. I would sit her down and explain to her, that once she quits, there are no more team bonding events, traveling out of state to comps, going to all of the instate comps and all of the other things that made her fall in love with cheer. If she really wants to quit after that, then you have to let her do it. But keep her in tumbling classes! I am regretting that I didn't do it for my own daughter now.....
Good luck on whatever you and your daughter chose!
that's what my mom's doing! we aren't doing all-star this season because of family issues, but she's making an effort to keep us tumbling! and if your daughter still wants to go to competitions; let her! it's still good to support your gym!! :)

that's what my mom's doing! we aren't doing all-star this season because of family issues, but she's making an effort to keep us tumbling! and if your daughter still wants to go to competitions; let her! it's still good to support your gym!! :)
I agree to let her go to some competitions, but when my daughter quit, she thought that anytime the gym went somewhere, she had to be there. Then I had to lay down the law and let her know that wasn't a reality. But icecheermom doesn't have to worry about it since her daughter is back in cheer! :)

I'm glad that she decided it was in her future..

...I think the only point to make after all the great advice, is once you try out, quitting after that is quitting. There was most likely another athlete that could have had that athletes place on the team and many teams begin creating stunt groups and choreography in July. So IMO...anytime you leave after try-outs is quitting.

I'm glad that she decided it was in her future..

...I think the only point to make after all the great advice, is once you try out, quitting after that is quitting. There was most likely another athlete that could have had that athletes place on the team and many teams begin creating stunt groups and choreography in July. So IMO...anytime you leave after try-outs is quitting.

We're from a small town so the squads aren't all full but I do agree with you to an extent. We had tryouts in May and she quit that same month. Our choreo is in August so its just skill building right now...I think she is aware next year we will not tryout until she is 100% on board. Cheering for 5 years straight with no time off I think she was just burnt out. It may be that she needs a month off in the summer to just relax and have a little fun. Cheers!

I dont want to quit allstar, but i have to becuase my mom wants me to just dedicate my freshman year to hs cheer so i can make new friends in highschoolm then for my sophmore year i can choose between allstar or highschool. What is a good way to tell my team that i am quitting?

I dont want to quit allstar, but i have to becuase my mom wants me to just dedicate my freshman year to hs cheer so i can make new friends in highschoolm then for my sophmore year i can choose between allstar or highschool. What is a good way to tell my team that i am quitting?
Be honest with your coach and team about it. This way you do not burn any bridges should you decide to go back to all star after the season. Does your all star gym have a half-year team? If so, maybe then you can still do both.

Back