Nca Or Uca In College?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 27, 2015
I'm a junior in highschool(male) starting to look into colleges. I've been looking at academics first naturally, but cheer second. It's a huge part of my life and I've always dreamed of cheering in college but my coach tells me I need to decide between a Uca or nca school. I come from a very competitive school background with a couple years of allstar. I like the nca style because it seems more like a real performance/routine while the ice routines seem more like jut throwing one skill, moving to the next. Though I don't think she should classify schools uca or Nca schools since they're all Cheerleaders. Plus I think she's a bit biased as we compete at nca high school nationals and she always tells us how uca routines are boring and don't take long to put together while nca requires intricate choreography and months of practice. I'm pretty open to both as they each have perks. I love the nca flash and all star feel plus I still haven't gotten my nca jacket yet(some one told me that college teams don't recieve jackets at nca or uca, is that true? Why wouldn't they get jackets) but I love the atmosphere of uca. I got to compete there once in allstar and I loved it, I'd give anything to go back, and going to Disney world every year would be fun(but my coach says most teams don't even go to the parks, is this true?) does anyone have any insight to help my decision? The schools I'm interested in are University of Alabama and Ohio state(uca) and North Carolina state university, university of Georgia, and university of South Carolina,(nca)

The two styles are very different but both are fun. I came from a L5 all star background, so I was used to a fast-paced, performance-packed routine before I got to college. My school competed UCA and it was a definite adjustment, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

In a UCA routine, your main course is stunting/pyramids and crowd leading with side dishes of dance and tumbling. A typical UCA routine features very difficult stunts, pyramids and baskets and a long cheer section. The idea is to lead the crowd as you would at a big game. As a guy, you will need very strong partner stunting skills to make most large coed UCA schools, including Alabama and Ohio State. You also won't get a chance to dance as a guy in a UCA routine.

A NCA routine is very comparable to a level 5 all star routine, but with level 6 skills. NCA schools do not stop for a cheer mid-routine.

UCA takes place at Disney. Yes, the teams go to the parks. My senior year I spent 2 full days in the park. If you're on a large coed DIA team, you may not have a ton of free time because you'll have team obligations (partner stunt on Friday, prelims on Saturday/Sunday, separate ESPN taping if you do well). My small coed team typically went to Partner/Mascot on Friday, competed Saturday, spend Sunday morning in the parks, watched DIA Sunday evening, and then spend Monday (MLK Day) in the parks. The block party is on Sunday night in Hollywood Studios.

NCA is in Daytona, so you're not going to get Disney time. Stuntfest is a major party session. I've heard it's pretty fun. It's also a drinking fest.

Your coach is correct -- neither competition gives out jackets. Instead, winners usually get championship rings.

The styles are really different. I came from a level 5 back ground as well. My high school was a mix between NCA and UCA, but I ended up at a UCA style school, first, because of my major and second because of cheer. I am a strong tumbler, but My stunting is really only good for game day collegiate stunts. I was much better at college group stunts. My tumbling, however, was/is stronger than my stunting so an NCA style school is perfect, because I can do the basic coed stunts, but really focus a little more on tumbling. Also, our program had won D1 (not to be confused with D1A), at NCA the past 3 years. In either Small or Large and we do receive NCA jackets and we ordered rings.
bd1b7cca200871811d204fd752b68539.jpg

Coming from an all star background, I only wanted to cheer NCA in college. So when I chose a school and made the team, the coach decided to switch to UCA. And I love it! I realized it didn't matter which style I cheer, and that cheering in college is an amazing experience no matter what! Choose by your school first and whichever cheer style the school has just go with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you should choose your school based off if the school is NCA or UCA. When looking at school I would look at the academics first, but make sure they have a competitive cheer if that's what you want to do. Base your school off academics and what would be best for your future, and then try out for the cheer team.

I came from an allstar background and go to a UCA school and cheering in college is one of the best experiences I've ever had. When I was looking at schools, I looked at top schools for my major and made sure each had a cheer program.

Back