Need Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you've already paid everything and she just has the two comps left and wants to compete, let her. I just wouldn't pay anything more and I'd be attending soon the tryout clinics or visiting other gyms in your area.
well the good thing is we haven't paid for the competition in May. one of the other "great" things about this coach is he registers late every time so we get to pay late fees. Plus I would feel uncomfortable competing knowing several athletes were not of age. :-(

Complaints with BBB and USASF only work if the person is a member of the organization. I'm doubting that very much.

You could also contact @King and submit information to him through Fierce Connection. It's a way for people to "review" vendors to the cheerleading industry. Not sure exactly how this one would work, but he might be able to give you a suggestion.

This literally sounds exactly like cps old gym and coach. Saying she ordered uniforms in sept then we wouldn't get them tile January or February (but she always blamed the uniform company). She always registered us late for every comp and half the time would wait till the week before and decide that the girls "weren't ready". We had a girl fill in on our youth team that was 14 bc one of the youth girls was sick. Long story short she quit in the middle of the season. We found out later that she was basically forced to quit and there is an on going investigation on her and her husband (who also coached) for embezzlement of our cheer funds. I could write a book on all the things that happened that should've opened my eyes to what was going on but it wasn't till after we left that I could see it for what it really was. We are so much happier now that we are at a great gym that is ran the way it should be. So yeah my advice is to get out now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That all sounds so familiar.during the fall, we are supposed to go to 3 competition we didn't find out until like two weeks before that we weren't going because "they weren't ready". so they never got a chance to get judges feedback or get a competition experiencethen when we finally did go to competition and he saw the score sheets and decided to change the entire routine. So they had to learn everything all over again in just a couple of practices.

well the good thing is we haven't paid for the competition in May. one of the other "great" things about this coach is he registers late every time so we get to pay late fees. Plus I would feel uncomfortable competing knowing several athletes were not of age. :-(

I agree w/ the poster that said just stick it out and finish - it's almost done, she doesn't want to let down her friends, etc. However, I'd wait till the very last minite to pay any remaining comp fees, even delaying until AFTER the comp, or at least until I see an online schedule w/ my CP's team on it, if at all possible to avoid any chance of the guy taking the fees and cancelling the comp with some made up excuse.

The stuff about the girls being too young is on him, not you. If he gets caught doing that, he's the one that's going to get in trouble, not the kids on the team. The more people that leave the worse it will be on those who stay, and some of them may really have their heart set on competing.

I just think of those teams you see who barely have enough kids to put up 2 stunts and wonder if it's this is the type of situation that led to that? - everyone bailed but the ones who really wanted to have their time on the mat :(. I wouldn't want my CP to do that to people unless there was abuse or serious irresponsibility by coaches to the point that I couldn't trust them w/ her safety. How bad are these outbursts, are they really intolerable? A lot of cheer coaches yell. How do you think the team would fare without your CP? Would they have to take out a stunt group? Do you think your CP's leaving would cause other to leave?

And DEFINITELY at the same time start looking at other gyms. Sounds like your CP won't be the only one.

He just moved two new athletes to her Sr. Level 2 team (they are both 8) this week. He moved her up 4 weeks ago and had her standing still for a quarter of the routine and she was a base for one stunt (which I think he is changing). She did no tumbling and was part of the dance. I don't know why he moved her to this team in the first place. She was so much better utilized in the level 1 team. He is said reworking the entire routine this week so I think it may not be an issue if she's not there. He completely changes the routine from week to week anyway. I don't think he really knows what he is doing anymore to be honest. Alot of the team has been with him for 5-6 years. Some of them just look the other way or sit and complain about him during practice, but they keep coming. It's a very negative environment. A few weeks ago, he kicked everyone out of practice and said practice was over. We were leaving and he was telling some parents that he was going to kick so and so off the team. Then as we were leaving he told them all to get back in there! Who does that?

He just moved two new athletes to her Sr. Level 2 team (they are both 8) this week. He moved her up 4 weeks ago and had her standing still for a quarter of the routine and she was a base for one stunt (which I think he is changing). She did no tumbling and was part of the dance. I don't know why he moved her to this team in the first place. She was so much better utilized in the level 1 team. He is said reworking the entire routine this week so I think it may not be an issue if she's not there. He completely changes the routine from week to week anyway. I don't think he really knows what he is doing anymore to be honest. Alot of the team has been with him for 5-6 years. Some of them just look the other way or sit and complain about him during practice, but they keep coming. It's a very negative environment. A few weeks ago, he kicked everyone out of practice and said practice was over. We were leaving and he was telling some parents that he was going to kick so and so off the team. Then as we were leaving he told them all to get back in there! Who does that?

Omg - he sounds like a complete loon! I'd probably sit in the parent veiwing area just to watch and laugh at what an idiot he is for this next month (my CP would be laughing too in the car ride home, but she's 12 and has had her share of crazy activity people over the years and I know she often sees the humor in them before she gets angry/upset). It really stinks that you wasted so much money and your CP's time on something so disorganized and ridiculous, but at least it's almost over and then you can move on to somewhere better - or start even moving on now by taking tumbling or privates elsewhere on the nights your CP doesn't have to be at this place (that's what I'd do). However though, if he has a lot of loyal customers are with him for the long haul no matter what, there probably won't be too much impact to the team if your CP leaves - especially if he's conpetley changing the routine all the time. Good luck w/ whatever you decide - hopefully your CP find a good gym next year and years from now her and you can look back a laugh about what a hot mess this place was.

Someone sounds like they are on drugs. I do not agree with the poster that said unethical practices are not on you. If we as parents turn the other way what are we teaching our kids. I 100% get the commitment part but we are talking apples and oranges. This is not leaving because your kid is standing in the back and unhappy ----this staying with a program breaking rules as just the tip of the iceberg of unethical choices being made. In the end what is the message you as a mom want to teach your daughter and that is your choice and a chance to teach her life lessons (and lets face it that is all you will be getting at this point) either message is good you just need to decide the right one for you all based on being in the situation. Commitment and not quitting even when things suck is important but if what you list is true then this is more than just things being bad.

Last edited:
I do not agree with the poster that said unethical practices are not on you. If we as parents turn the other way what are we teaching out kids. I 100% get the commitment part but we are talking apples and oranges. This is not leaving because your kid is standing in the back and unhappy ----this staying with a program breaking rules as just the tip of the iceberg of unethical choices being made. In the end what is the message you as a mom want to teach your daughter and that is your choice and a chance to teach her life lessons (and lets face it that is all you will be getting at this point) either message is good you just need to decide the right one for you all based on being in the situation. Commitment and not quitting even when things suck is important but if what you list is true then this is more than just things being bad.
YES - this!! By allowing your child to compete underage on a senior team SHE is cheating and you are allowing it. I am shocked anyone would say "oh, no problem, just cheat and finish out the season". I'm curious - would those who feel she should compete at the remaining competitions feel the same way if the last competition was the Summit and this team won?

YES - this!! By allowing your child to compete underage on a senior team SHE is cheating and you are allowing it. I am shocked anyone would say "oh, no problem, just cheat and finish out the season". I'm curious - would those who feel she should compete at the remaining competitions feel the same way if the last competition was the Summit and this team won?

I didn't get the impression that they were winning a thing, but maybe I am wrong. I got the impression they were hot mess all stars and they weren't truly competitive.

Also, great for you for learning all this stuff as a first year cheer mom. My first year I kept asking the team mom do we compete against them? Do we compete against them? CP did her performance and we went and got lunch. I didn't watch any teams in her division, etc. CP's first year I definitely cared pretty much solely about CP and her experience rather than the industry at large. I can say, though, I didn't know who the industry at large was her first year either. I found a video of Ace Warriors and GA Louies and asked the coach/owner year 2 if these kids were under 18 and were they professionals or something and joined here and started learning and we gym switched CP's year 3. I was all about the kids year 1 for sure.

Last edited:
While it's true this coach is definitely a hot mess, the team and the athletes are quite good. Even though we have only competed twice this season, our level 1 team (which CP was on for over 9 months before he switched her) placed 2nd at 1 and 1st at a pretty major competition. It's the level 2 team that has issues. I think what happened was this coach has been coaching for so long and has only had a level 1 team. He really wanted to have a level 2 team because he has 5 or 6 athletes that are very strong tumblers. After our first competition he saw what we were up against and started changing routines and moving athletes from one team to the other. Although these girls are very good at adapting to changes, there is absolutely no consistency and they cannot rely on the routine and their part in it. In his desperation to compete at the next level, I think he is unable to see it is not working and he is just not ready for it. After taking a step back, I see it's a dead end. My CP is never going to progress and move up and she has her heart set on cheering FOREVER. :)

It's sad because these are really good athletes and I think some of them and their parents do no know any better. I have been reading this board for a while and have learned so much about the industry. When I saw the uniform thread and saw what people paid, that's how I knew to look into the cost of what we got. Basically, we got a top. He gave them black shorts from Academy! Not even matching uniform shorts. Also, this board got me thinking about the age violation. I even brought it up to several parents who brushed it off and said "I'm sure he knows what he is doing" etc. I am beginning to think the shadiness does not just end at the coach and that's just another reason for us to get out now.

While it's true this coach is definitely a hot mess, the team and the athletes are quite good. Even though we have only competed twice this season, our level 1 team (which CP was on for over 9 months before he switched her) placed 2nd at 1 and 1st at a pretty major competition. It's the level 2 team that has issues. I think what happened was this coach has been coaching for so long and has only had a level 1 team. He really wanted to have a level 2 team because he has 5 or 6 athletes that are very strong tumblers. After our first competition he saw what we were up against and started changing routines and moving athletes from one team to the other. Although these girls are very good at adapting to changes, there is absolutely no consistency and they cannot rely on the routine and their part in it. In his desperation to compete at the next level, I think he is unable to see it is not working and he is just not ready for it. After taking a step back, I see it's a dead end. My CP is never going to progress and move up and she has her heart set on cheering FOREVER. :)

It's sad because these are really good athletes and I think some of them and their parents do no know any better. I have been reading this board for a while and have learned so much about the industry. When I saw the uniform thread and saw what people paid, that's how I knew to look into the cost of what we got. Basically, we got a top. He gave them black shorts from Academy! Not even matching uniform shorts. Also, this board got me thinking about the age violation. I even brought it up to several parents who brushed it off and said "I'm sure he knows what he is doing" etc. I am beginning to think the shadiness does not just end at the coach and that's just another reason for us to get out now.
100%. Now that you know what you know, it is time to leave. And I agree with @quitthedrama. It's illegal, you know it's illegal, let her stay on the level 1 team if you want to finish out the season. And then never look back. Also other parents may not, as you have already seen, take kindly to your sharing of info about legality issues. Even when you are right.

Im tardy to the party. Sorry... NCA College nationals yall.

Check out http://fiercelist.com

It is only $25 bucks a year for reviewers. Help us out and start listings and lets get all and AND good vendors recognized!

Latest posts

Back