Need Bhs Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlockHead

Cheer Parent
Sep 20, 2013
Any advice that you can give me to pass on to my CP. Basically, she is doing a frog-legged BHS. She first got her BHS in November, so it is still a fairly new skill. She is doing good, pushing off with her toes. But when she gets to the handstand portion, she looks like a hot mess. I do know that she does have a bit of an undercut, which is slowly improving.
I would appreciate any advice that you could give.

Any advice that you can give me to pass on to my CP. Basically, she is doing a frog-legged BHS. She first got her BHS in November, so it is still a fairly new skill. She is doing good, pushing off with her toes. But when she gets to the handstand portion, she looks like a hot mess. I do know that she does have a bit of an undercut, which is slowly improving.

For my CP better form seemed to come when she stopped undercutting. It really is the key to a beautiful BHS from what I can understand, just from observing her progress.

For my CP better form seemed to come when she stopped undercutting. It really is the key to a beautiful BHS from what I can understand, just from observing her progress.

Thanks. That is what I keep hearing. As soon as her undercutting diminishes, that everything will fall into place. Can't she just go to tryouts with bands around her legs? LOL

Thanks. That is what I keep hearing. As soon as her undercutting diminishes, that everything will fall into place. Can't she just go to tryouts with bands around her legs? LOL
Definitely have her practice it on a trampoline or somewhere safe with a paper between her legs! That was she's getting used to squeezing them herself and not getting used to bands doing it for her! I've broken a few bands myself because I can never figure out how to squeeze my legs in a handspring!! But yes once she lengthens her handspring it might get fixed. Good luck!

Definitely have her practice it on a trampoline or somewhere safe with a paper between her legs! That was she's getting used to squeezing them herself and not getting used to bands doing it for her! I've broken a few bands myself because I can never figure out how to squeeze my legs in a handspring!! But yes once she lengthens her handspring it might get fixed. Good luck!

Thanks. She does put her towel between her legs at the gym. She actually keeps her legs together when she is on the trampoline or tumble track. But the floor is a whole other story. LOL

When mine were learning they did the same thing. Their coach at the time had them do a standing BHS to a pushup position to force them to straighten their legs and push through their shoulders. By the end of the class they were both throwing strong BHS.

It sounds like the issue is with handstand strength.

In our tumbling classes we use a couple drills. The first two can be done using a wall - Chest in and Chest out handstands. Chest out is a standard handstand , start facing the wall and kick up, making sure to have belly in and straight arms shoulders pushing towards the floor. Chest in handstands start facing away from the wall and the athlete walks her feet up the wall and her hands in towards the wall again belly in and shoulders pushing towards the ground!

A third drill can be completed going over a barrel or smarter spotter and having her be stopped in the handstand. Once in the handstand we have them complete 5 shoulder shrugs then step down from the handspring.

Hope this helps!

Working on core strength will help her rebound and “pop” off her hands. Working on shoulder strength will help her not collapse in the handstand part. Once those two are improved it will be easy for her to keep her legs together.

Back