All-Star Netflix Cheer 2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I binged it all today and loved it. I didn't watch the first season (I'll probably watch it all this weekend since school starts on Monday) I knew what Jerry did but I didn't realize how much he was loved by Monica and his teammates. I'm glad what he was doing was uncovered and I'm amazed that those boys were brave enough to report him. I can't believe the amount of jewelry and gum I saw during the practices. I was worried someone's bellybutton ring would rip out. Jada and Maddy were my favorites.

So I only cheered allstar and I have a question about college cheer. Is it normal for schools to only compete at literally one competition? Or is that something just Navarro does since so many of their kids do allstar as well.

I binged it all today and loved it. I didn't watch the first season (I'll probably watch it all this weekend since school starts on Monday) I knew what Jerry did but I didn't realize how much he was loved by Monica and his teammates. I'm glad what he was doing was uncovered and I'm amazed that those boys were brave enough to report him. I can't believe the amount of jewelry and gum I saw during the practices. I was worried someone's bellybutton ring would rip out. Jada and Maddy were my favorites.

So I only cheered allstar and I have a question about college cheer. Is it normal for schools to only compete at literally one competition? Or is that something just Navarro does since so many of their kids do allstar as well.
That is the norm with college cheer.

I’m in the minority here but I wasn’t a fan of the 1st episode… and the language was a little much to the point it was kinda annoying. I wish there was more cheer and less of the side stuff. Hoping I like the next episode better
agreed. there is way too much promotion. I'm happy for the athletes who are able to financially profit from the series, but leave that out of the actual filming.
No series about cheer should have a child abuse, sexual content warning tied to it. Jerry should have been left on the cutting room floor - permanently. It disgusts me that Navarro and the producers are openly profiting off the situation.
It's also odd to me that they used any of the 2020 content other than an introduction of the new athletes and a scene showing when they find out NCA was cancelled - many of the athletes highlighted haven't been at Navarro for two years - some even competed with other colleges at Daytona nearly 2 years ago.

After watching the entire second season I have to admit I am not impressed. I did not like the first part, it was too much showcasing of the "cheerlebrities" the first season created. In general the entire season painted the picture off both TVCC and Navarro that just came across as kind of negative to me. TVCC gets a lot of hate and backlash on social media now for The way they were portrayed by the producers. People need to sit back and relax for a second and remember that this is a Netflix show that was created for entertainment purposes. The whole rivalry between TVCC and Navarro reminded me of a bring it on movie and I think that is exactly what the producers were trying to do.
Navarro to me was also not shown in the super positive way the first season did. You could definitely feel some sort of tension going on all the time between teammates aswell as teammates and coaches.

To not only say negative things though, I like that Cheer is being portrayed as an actual sport and people get to see that there is a lot more behind cheerleaders than just pretty faces and shiny uniforms.

agreed. there is way too much promotion. I'm happy for the athletes who are able to financially profit from the series, but leave that out of the actual filming.
No series about cheer should have a child abuse, sexual content warning tied to it. Jerry should have been left on the cutting room floor - permanently. It disgusts me that Navarro and the producers are openly profiting off the situation.
It's also odd to me that they used any of the 2020 content other than an introduction of the new athletes and a scene showing when they find out NCA was cancelled - many of the athletes highlighted haven't been at Navarro for two years - some even competed with other colleges at Daytona nearly 2 years ago.
This is what makes it a hard watch for me.

I watched the first episode of the new season, I'm not planning on finishing it. The show is all over the place, it's not my cup of tea. I didn't really like season 1 of it either but I made myself watch it because I felt like I HAD to watch it.

I think the inclusion of the promotion stuff was inevitable. The first season was HUGE. To not show how it affected the team would’ve almost been a false narrative. Plus I think the thing to take away from that was how much of a distraction the show was — and how that may have compromised the team’s success (envy among teammates, Monica not being there, etc.).

Also, I think they HAD to address the Jerry thing. To not do it would’ve meant vicious accusations of sweeping things under the rug, which the cheer community doesn’t need any more of. Yeah Netflix might be profiting off it, but I’d rather they include that storyline than completely ignore it.

And yes the timeline was weird. I spent the first few episodes wondering if I was watching the 2021 season or the 2020 non-season.

Ok, I really bristled at the way the blonde ex-gymnast reporter handled things. I got definite “I’m one of those gymnasts who hates cheerleaders” vibes.

She initially said about covering the Jerry accusations, “We’re not trying to take away anyone’s ‘cheer’ heroes.” And I thought, that’s a weird thing to say.

And then she went onto completely trash Monica for not wording her statement in the exact way the reporter herself would’ve preferred. It felt personal. Especially because Monica’s statement was pretty good: she mentioned the victims and expressed sorrow and empathy for them. No “This is a witch hunt!” “The Jerry I know wouldn’t do this!” etc etc. But the reporter took issue with Monica’s statement anyway (specifically the part where she asked for privacy, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable thing to do given that people were blaming her for Jerry’s actions which was ridiculous). It just seemed like she was looking for something to pick on. Because she was trying to take away “cheer” heroes. Because she doesn’t like cheerleading.

That’s just the vibe I got. Like, out of all the things to be angry about — USASF, the police, the trolls on Twitter calling the victims fame-seekers — she chose to direct her energy toward the coach who had no idea what was happening and who expressed sorrow for the victims? K.

@Sterling von Shimmer I agree with you. I felt as if she was projecting her anger at her coaches for not protecting her towards Monica. She failed to see the situations are very different. Monica was not aware. Jerry victimized young athletes at all-star competitions and through social media. Jerry didn't victimize Monica's College-age athletes. That would have been easier for Monica to possibly catch. Even with that, sexual abusers are master manipulators/con-artist.

Last edited:
Yeah this season just didn't hit the mark for me... They spent way too much time on the 2020 non-season (why not make that season 2 and release it last year? They easily could have made 6 episodes about that season on its own). I made an audible comment along the lines of "wow it took them 6 episodes to introduce the best female tumbler in cheerleading and still really just glossed over it" because they only actually had 4 episodes pertaining to the actual 2021 season.
I also didn't love the way they portrayed any of the athletes or Monica this season, and made it really difficult to find someone to "root for" like Morgan to make mat in season 1. It made Monica look out of touch for putting her fame over her job, made Kaylee? the new assistant coach look like she couldn't coach because she "just isn't Monica" and then they confusingly threw in the bit with Ladarius and the dog.. that either needed to be explained better or just didn't need to be there at all, where the heck was Andy in the 2021 season - they never addressed why he wasn't around a lot, they still had a LOT of 2020 season Jerry in there - which to me should have been cut. They had to have the episode with the twins speaking out (the bravery is outstanding), but otherwise Jerry should have been scrubbed from the show. I just have a lot of questions, and even though I actually watched NCA and knew the outcome I was confused as to why it was edited the way it was.

@Sterling von Shimmer I agree with you. I felt as if she was reflecting her anger for her coaches not protecting her on to Monica. She failed to see the situations are very different. Monica was not aware. Jerry victimized young athletes at all-star competitions and through social media. Jerry didn't victimize Monica's College-age athletes. That would have been easier for Monica to possibly catch. Even with that, sexual abusers are master manipulators/con-artist.

Yeah that might’ve been part of it too: her latent anger.

But yeah everything you said is right. Nobody knew about Jerry. He literally had the whole world fooled, including his closest friends. Someone said on here once that abusers not only groom the victims, but everyone around them into believing that they could not possibly be abusers. I think that’s very true here.

Back