All-Star Netflix Cheer 2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Another thing. La' darius portrayal rubbed me the wrong way this season compared to the first, he clearly has a close relationship with Monica and that's great, but him walking all over his team mates and coaching staff, and everyone just stands there and allows it, really put me off on how a coaching staff can allow that kind of behavior on and off the mat from an athlete and think it's ok. Makes you wonder how his attitude and back talk really affected the team behind the scenes, that obviously was never shown.....When you constantly have to have side talks over and over with the same person, when do you finally put your foot down and say "no you are done" Although I can understand that he probably went through a lot emotionally, considering the Jerry fiasco.. (weren't they roommates at one point??.) I'm sure he is a good person in all reality, but such harsh negativity can drag a lot of people down in real life. Especially when you are forced to put up with it day in and day out, and coaching staff turns a blind eye like it's normal. Theres a difference between constructive criticism and just plain rudeness. idc if your a 5th year senior, check the attitude at the door...

People like La’Darius have strong, outspoken personalities that make them either the best or the worst people to be around. When they’re in a good mood, there’s no one funnier, sweeter, or more charismatic. When they’re in a bad mood, there’s no one who can make you miserable any faster.

When they’re on a negative streak, it can be hard to put a stop to it because you don’t want to escalate things further. Because if they’re already THIS upset, correcting them might make them MORE upset and who knows what that might turn into. Sometimes it feels safer to just let them run out of steam. I think that’s what we saw here. It’s not ideal, but sometimes it feels smarter to let personalities like that get it out of their system and hope the next practice will be better.

I disagree. They weren’t asking him to shimmy and hair flip, they were asking him to smile which apparently only gay people do?

If anything it was a case study on toxic masculinity: where you’re so afraid of a perceived femininity that you suppress a facial expression that literally every human makes.

A blunted affect is not “masculine” it’s a trauma response.

Wholeheartedly Agree with you Andy! I remember watching and going "Wow, they really found a way to sugarcoat saying 'I didn't want to go to Navarro because the guys are too gay.'"

@JBS I am curious if you watched. If so, what are your thoughts from a gymnastics v. all-star parent view?

Ok... I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I didn't like the gymnastics show like this...

I am going to keep watching... but I'm not a reality TV type of person.

What is a "Cheer Mom"? People are labeled as a "Cheer Mom"... is this different than a regular "Mom"?

I like watching the performances... and watching when they show coaching... the stories of the characters isn't really interesting to me.

As far as reality TV... I am a "Deadliest Catch" fan.

Ok... I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I didn't like the gymnastics show like this...

I am going to keep watching... but I'm not a reality TV type of person.

What is a "Cheer Mom"? People are labeled as a "Cheer Mom"... is this different than a regular "Mom"?

I like watching the performances... and watching when they show coaching... the stories of the characters isn't really interesting to me.

As far as reality TV... I am a "Deadliest Catch" fan.
If you don’t enjoy season one, I doubt you will like season two.

A cheer mom is one of "those" moms. Every sport has them. More than a few dads are like that too, but Cheer generally has more moms.
It took me a minute to realize this but these people literally exist in every sport.

I’ve even had parents at work try to turn reasonably innocuous activities like homecoming court into that (For example, getting emails about the number of spots being unfair, how teachers should vote for it and not students, etc.)

Anytime you have kids + an activity that has a winner, there is always going to be a problem with at least one person.

Looks like Cheer is going to have a touring show called Cheer Live this summer.

It’ll probably be some thing similar to the Olympic gold medalist tour that happened this year I’m assuming?

A cheer mom is one of "those" moms. Every sport has them. More than a few dads are like that too, but Cheer generally has more moms.

I was just wondering because they labeled Shannon Whelan as "Jerry's Cheer Mom".

I was just wondering because they labeled Shannon Whelan as "Jerry's Cheer Mom".
Ah, so she took him in. She was a mom at the gym he was at. I'm pretty sure that's why she had the title. She wasn't his real mom, who passed away. She was his cheer mom.

It's been fascinating watching this season with my roommate (who didn't watch any of the first season). There's a lot of glimpses at moments/dynamics that she found interesting: in particular from a psychological and behavioral standpoint. A lot of the athletes featured clearly are looking for the structure and stability that is lacking in other aspects of their lives/upbringings and are relying on their coaches to provide that for them. I hope they can find ways to build their own stability and structure and get their healing. Some of them so dearly need it and I want that peace for them.

I had mixed feelings about how they handled the Jerry situation. I don't know how they edited, I don't know if they were trying to avoid flying the crew down more with Covid to avoid exposures, or if they didn't want to pay the crew for more filming days or if the schools could only accommodate so much with Covid happening (so they felt like they HAD to use that footage?). My heart breaks for those boys- being in a position to be that public for something like that must be incredibly painful. I admire their courage.

My roommate doesn't get the whole cheer-lebrity thing, I think my favorite reaction was "....does that happen? Do little girls just WAIT for these people to show up places?!"

We didn't 'love' this season- it felt a little angry? And clearly the team was annoyed with some people getting 'famous', people not being around, etc. Just felt lots of abandonment angst and such.

Also BIG NOPE on that watermelon diet. When Jada brought out the lettuce we were like YOU BETTER NOT and then it was for her guinea pig :cool:

I disagree. They weren’t asking him to shimmy and hair flip, they were asking him to smile which apparently only gay people do?

If anything it was a case study on toxic masculinity: where you’re so afraid of a perceived femininity that you suppress a facial expression that literally every human makes.

A blunted affect is not “masculine” it’s a trauma response.
I am not here to agree or disagree with your statement, what I wrote were my observations of a situation. I just remembered the difficulties I had in introducing this sport to talented boys because of the "gay" perception. When I listened to those boys on TVCC talk, there could be other ways that these boys can perform that do not lean more towards feminine expressions in their eyes. Speaking as a Black mother, unfortunately, this could be perceive as toxic masculinity, but our Black young men are culturally taught that too much smiling is a sign of "weakness."

I am not here to agree or disagree with your statement, what I wrote were my observations of a situation. I just remembered the difficulties I had in introducing this sport to talented boys because of the "gay" perception. When I listened to those boys on TVCC talk, there could be other ways that these boys can perform that do not lean more towards feminine expressions in their eyes. Speaking as a Black mother, unfortunately, this could be perceive as toxic masculinity, but our Black young men are culturally taught that too much smiling is a sign of "weakness."
Thank goodness we don't have to psychoanalyze or label everyone off of a couple of statements or snippets in their lifetime. For a person that is shy, introverted, self conscious, bad teeth, has RBF, from a culture/family that doesn't smile much, etc. that smile can be very hard and awkward. His response was defensive, and frustrated people often don't articulate their feelings in the best way. Demanding him to perform was no more or less important than any other aspect of cheer, but that doesn't mean that smile wasn't harder for him than any tumble pass he's ever thrown.

Back