All-Star New Basket Rules For College Cheer Are Making A Lot Of People Angry...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
Starting this season baskets in college that involve flipping will only be allowed to twist if they’re being thrown by men. Three men to be exact, two male bases and one male back spot. A lot of the women I used to cheer with are obviously very angry about this.

Thoughts?

2018-19 AACCA College Cheerleading Rules – Cheer Rules – Cheerleading Rules for Coaches

Edit: The new rules also limit coed baskets (with three boys throwing it) to only one twist. Ball X fulls are now the most elite basket skills that can be done.

Last edited:
Starting this season baskets in college that involve flipping will only be allowed to twist if they’re being thrown by men. Three men to be exact, two male bases and one male back spot. A lot of the women I used to cheer with are obviously very angry about this.

Thoughts?

2018-19 AACCA College Cheerleading Rules – Cheer Rules – Cheerleading Rules for Coaches
Excuse me? How about we put some rules in place so that all athletes, male and female, are strong enough to launch baskets with a high enough amplitude to allow for twisting.

Either let all college athletes do them, or take them away across the board.

Excuse me? How about we put some rules in place so that all athletes, male and female, are strong enough to launch baskets with a high enough amplitude to allow for twisting.

Either let all college athletes do them, or take them away across the board.

It’ll be a non-issue soon enough because I’m fairly sure they’re moving towards getting rid of them altogether, but I’d bet that this is a reaction to an increased number of head injuries that are occurring to the bases and backs as a result of skills twisting into the cradle. The excess height provided by male tosses allows more time for the twist to complete in the air where it belongs, resulting in decreased injuries to male bases/backs. As fun as it is to say “make rules so that all of the athletes are strong enough to do them,” it’s not possible to make a rule that makes females as physiciallly strong as males.

It’ll be a non-issue soon enough because I’m fairly sure they’re moving towards getting rid of them altogether, but I’d bet that this is a reaction to an increased number of head injuries that are occurring to the bases and backs as a result of skills twisting into the cradle. The excess height provided by male tosses allows more time for the twist to complete in the air where it belongs, resulting in decreased injuries to male bases/backs. As fun as it is to say “make rules so that all of the athletes are strong enough to do them,” it’s not possible to make a rule that makes females as physiciallly strong as males.
It's definitely impossible to make females as strong as males (too much difference in testosterone levels), but at first glance it really feels like they are trying to cut corners. I see where they are coming from with the injury stats. It strikes me as ironic that many of the problems they are having to create rules to solve would not exist if the powers that be had done right by the athletes from jump, but that's another story.

Anyway, 99% of scholastic programs period have no business doing baskets.

Last edited:

No one is trying to do that. No one is saying that.
With proper technique the strength difference isn’t important, as is evidenced by the years of successful basket tosses by girls in the sport, and the ability of Acro to throw double twisting double flipping baskets with only two girl bases. Strength isn’t the issue, proper training is.

If they were worried about injuries from twisting baskets they should just start encouraging front baskets. The injuries from baskets almost always come from the flyer not having the time to do a flip and a quarter to get all the way around. Front baskets always land in a cradle.

No one is trying to do that. No one is saying that.
With proper technique the strength difference isn’t important, as is evidenced by the years of successful basket tosses by girls in the sport, and the ability of Acro to throw double twisting double flipping baskets with only two girl bases. Strength isn’t the issue, proper training is.

If they were worried about injuries from twisting baskets they should just start encouraging front baskets. The injuries from baskets almost always come from the flyer not having the time to do a flip and a quarter to get all the way around. Front baskets always land in a cradle.

Again, it’ll likely be a moot point soon enough. If they’re doing this to college tosses and school tosses have already been restricted: all star will be soon to follow. Personally, I’m thrilled, especially for all stars at the younger ages. Those kids don’t deserve to be placed at that kind of risk for 5 points.

Again, it’ll likely be a moot point soon enough. If they’re doing this to college tosses and school tosses have already been restricted: all star will be soon to follow. Personally, I’m thrilled, especially for all stars at the younger ages. Those kids don’t deserve to be placed at that kind of risk for 5 points.

A sexist policy isn’t excusable just because it will one day be a moot point. It’s still a sexist policy.

As an aside, out of all the injuries I’ve seen in my Cheer career throughout a decade in all star and 4 years in college Cheer, not a single one was from baskets. Idk why you act like they’re super dangerous crazy terrifying.
TBH until level 5 they very rarely actually make it higher than a discount from extension would, and in all star all of the basket skills could also be dismounts from extended stunts stunts anyways. Kick double dismounts aren’t uncommon by any means.

A sexist policy isn’t excusable just because it will one day be a moot point. It’s still a sexist policy.

As an aside, out of all the injuries I’ve seen in my Cheer career throughout a decade in all star and 4 years in college Cheer, not a single one was from baskets. Idk why you act like they’re super dangerous crazy terrifying.
TBH until level 5 they very rarely actually make it higher than a discount from extension would, and in all star all of the basket skills could also be dismounts from extended stunts stunts anyways. Kick double dismounts aren’t uncommon by any means.

Baskets have no middle ground. Good ones are good. Bad ones are bad. There’s very little that happens in between. Anything that gets messed up in the load in of a basket has the potential to cause drastic movement at the top of the toss. Small children do not have the knowledge base or reflexes necessary to anticipate these issues and proactively adjust to keep them safe. The same reason we first teach kids to hit a ball off a tee, then a pitching machine, then live pitching.

In my opinion, kids should not be allowed to perform or practice any skill that they are not cognitively and physically capable of spotting for themselves. Any extra spotters standing around at practice should be reserved for the extra-tragic, outside-of-normal-business-operations attempt. Too many kids are learning to rely almost exclusively on these extra spotters for catching purposes at the expense of learning to do things safely.

Look at all-girl acro teams, you have girls throwing triple tucks with only 2 girls throwing without a back spot. Literally so sexist, as a guy who does cheer, that is the rudest/sexist excuse ever & I disagree. I love girls who can throw high baskets. If I did college cheer, I'd quit honestly. Girls ARE strong & THATS final, end of story.

Baskets have no middle ground. Good ones are good. Bad ones are bad. There’s very little that happens in between. Anything that gets messed up in the load in of a basket has the potential to cause drastic movement at the top of the toss. Small children do not have the knowledge base or reflexes necessary to anticipate these issues and proactively adjust to keep them safe. The same reason we first teach kids to hit a ball off a tee, then a pitching machine, then live pitching.

In my opinion, kids should not be allowed to perform or practice any skill that they are not cognitively and physically capable of spotting for themselves. Any extra spotters standing around at practice should be reserved for the extra-tragic, outside-of-normal-business-operations attempt. Too many kids are learning to rely almost exclusively on these extra spotters for catching purposes at the expense of learning to do things safely.

All of that is coaching problems not basket problems. Everything you said could be applied to any building skill and would be equally accurate.

All of that is coaching problems not basket problems. Everything you said could be applied to any building skill and would be equally accurate.

Yes, but there’s a difference in the risk of a skill that has hands on feet, versus one that is free flying.

As to the multiple comments about acro....

To quite Lt JG Daniel Caffey: “it doesn’t matter what I THINK, it only matters what I can PROVE.” (Bonus points for naming that movie)

If there’s some statistical evidence that supports this change, that’s all that matters. No ones feelings about sexism, what is done in other activities, etc matter beyond any degree of trending evidence from accident reports.

This is all speculation anyway, no one really knows WHY the rules were changed except the people who change them.

Latest posts

Back