New Coach And Need Some Pointers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 28, 2014
I'm a new coach for 9-10 year old girls. I was a cheerleader for many years but I have been out of it for a long time. Not to mention this was a last minute request on the leagues behalf. But anyways I need some pointers on how to come up with a cheer and dance for competition as well as stunts and tumbling passes any and all help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

This is going to sound flippant but it's truly not. YouTube can be a great resource for helping with dances and even full routines.

This is going to sound flippant but it's truly not. YouTube can be a great resource for helping with dances and even full routines.
Yea I've watched some and I found a cool website that let's you place things on the floor mat to see what formations look like thanks so much for the information

I wouldn't say take someones routine and teach it to your kids with out permission. However yes youtube sparks a lot of ideas. I'm a visual learner...so watching videos sparks something in my mind, I'll watch a video see something that inspires me and it'll end up completely different but it inspired my thought process. Also contact other coaches most are more than willing to have skype choreography sessions. I coach an all-star prep team and don't hire out for choreography so I use other coaches as my main resource for help.

1. Focus on safety. Take the free CDC concussion course. Get certified - first aid/CPR (see if your league will pay for this) and NAYS/NYSCA: National Alliance for Youth Sports This course is online and will introduce beginning stunts. DO NOT do stunts that you don't know how to do, just because you saw them on YouTube and they look easy. See if your local all star gym offers a rec coaches clinic. If they do, take it. If they don't, suggest it to them. It is a great way to build partnerships between rec programs and gyms.

2. Focus on fun. You're there to make sure the kids are safe while learning this athletic activity. Make it fun. I'm not saying that you should let them run all over you, but don't treat it like boot camp. Make sure it is fun for you, too.

3. Make your halftime performances into your competition routine, or break your competition routine into pieces and use the pieces for your halftime performance.

4. This goes with #1, but teach solid fundamentals. Always always perfection before progression. Focus on being clean. Focus on good, solid jumps. Focus on performing. These parts that I just mentioned do not require fancy equipment or special knowledge, but will make your cheerleaders look great even if they're doing lower-level skills.

5. Thank you for volunteering to coach. You will affect more kids' lives in a positive way than you could ever imagine.

1. Focus on safety. Take the free CDC concussion course. Get certified - first aid/CPR (see if your league will pay for this) and NAYS/NYSCA: National Alliance for Youth Sports This course is online and will introduce beginning stunts. DO NOT do stunts that you don't know how to do, just because you saw them on YouTube and they look easy. See if your local all star gym offers a rec coaches clinic. If they do, take it. If they don't, suggest it to them. It is a great way to build partnerships between rec programs and gyms.

2. Focus on fun. You're there to make sure the kids are safe while learning this athletic activity. Make it fun. I'm not saying that you should let them run all over you, but don't treat it like boot camp. Make sure it is fun for you, too.

3. Make your halftime performances into your competition routine, or break your competition routine into pieces and use the pieces for your halftime performance.

4. This goes with #1, but teach solid fundamentals. Always always perfection before progression. Focus on being clean. Focus on good, solid jumps. Focus on performing. These parts that I just mentioned do not require fancy equipment or special knowledge, but will make your cheerleaders look great even if they're doing lower-level skills.

5. Thank you for volunteering to coach. You will affect more kids' lives in a positive way than you could ever imagine.
Thanks so much :) and I hope I can spark the love of cheerleading that I have into these girls. And thanks for all the useful information it's much appreciated

I wouldn't say take someones routine and teach it to your kids with out permission. However yes youtube sparks a lot of ideas. I'm a visual learner...so watching videos sparks something in my mind, I'll watch a video see something that inspires me and it'll end up completely different but it inspired my thought process. Also contact other coaches most are more than willing to have skype choreography sessions. I coach an all-star prep team and don't hire out for choreography so I use other coaches as my main resource for help.
It also helps me to come up with ideas that's all I really need when I cheered we had indivual cheer and dance now days they transition from cheer to dance and everyone is talking about themes and such just trying to get ideas thanks so much for the information it is very much appreciated :)

I've used videos for ideas, so there's a place to start. I usually start with a very basic routine. What are some skills my kids can do easily but safely and clean. I start there and we work up once they've mastered them. For example, libs started at a thigh level (base on 1 knee) and then progressed to arabesque and scorps as they got better. Preps eventually moved to half ups to prep. Smoosh down moved to cradles. It gave the kids a basic routine they could compete early on but also gave them something to push for. They weren't allowed to compete the new skills until they were hitting clean in practice. The kids wanted to do harder skills so they worked for them.

Tumbling wise, I looked at who came in with what skills, who was close and choreographed accordingly. But everybody tumbled, even if it was just a forward roll or cartwheels (elementary school team).

Back