All-Star New Iasf Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well that I completely agree with, but this is hardly the first time last minute changes have been implemented or have attempted to be implemented mid-season.

It is the first time that major choreo changes have to be made in every scored area except the dance. This is not an easy fix routinewise.

It is the first time that major choreo changes have to be made in every scored area except the dance. This is not an easy fix routinewise.

I'm not making light of that, just saying that I have come to expect this type of messy management from the governing bodies. None of their major announcements ever seem to come at the right time or with enough warning---could they have done this better? Sure, and they should have---I'm more curious as to why now.

I just can't understand how ANYONE thinks this is okay (although at this point I'm not sure anybody does besides IASF).
Main points I've seen and would love to emphasize:

1) Int'l teams may be made up of younger athletes these days HOWEVER there are still athletes who pay their way through allstar to compete levels 5 and 6 at worlds.

2) Athletes have already begun to doubt their decisions on spending their valued school and work time on (for some) a 10+ month season and are ready to pull out. If enough athletes pull out teams will have trouble finding the same talent to replace them for an unfulfilled worlds experience.

3) There has been money, time and energy spent on music and choreography along with skills camps that contributed to the making of the current int'l 5 and 6 routines. Imagine having a coach do privates with you all summer to get that double just for it not to count any different than the skill you already had.

4) This is IASF/USASF trying to put more money in their pockets. If there is a greater chance teams from other countries can make finals there will be more registrations/spectators from other countries. This fact is so true although unproven, and other countries have already spoken up about how this is seen as offensive.

5) Not sure if this has been said (and I am aware it is known) but at this moment a youth 5 team can do a basket toss higher in difficulty than an IOC5 team can.

6) The example of simone and her signature move was a great example. You can't even the playing field this way. All this is about to do is result in a loss. IOC younger athletes may be senior team eligible but at the big name gyms that produce these amazing int'l teams (in the US), those teams are safely filled until the next season unless you want to pay your way through the season as an extra. (Don’t ask me why in the world my 15 years of cheer self can’t think of the name for it!)

ETA:

7) Just like how on first speak of it i wasn’t about XS. But then i stepped back and understood how this will help smaller gyms like the gym i started at and is now out of business (and has been for 7+ years). If this can save cheerleading that’s what I’ll take. If IOC4 or IOCR5 can be a worlds division in order to keep more cheerleaders/organizations involved and give them opportunities to succeed then let’s do it.

Last edited:
And I'd bet if you looked at all the ages of the 2000 or so athletes on IO 5/6 teams, you'd find at least half still fall within the age range of a senior team.

That's probably accurate, but it is still a very minuscule number in the scheme of things. I'm definitely not disputing this rule stinks. I'm just taking off my American hat for a moment and realize that cheer evolved over here, as well as the coaching pool. I don't like the idea of a blanket restriction, I like the idea of having a Res IO 5/6 which is what I was responding to (for World's). My comment of "if this is about safety, so be it", only meaning I'm not going to dispute the fact that it is possible the International coaching pool may not warrant safe training of certain skills. I don't like the idea of holding back what is currently the majority, because of the lack of skills based on safety for another which is why I like the idea of Res IO 5/6. With that said, I do feel @cheermommaRN comment above is the bigger picture.

So, I just went onto IASF's website and attempted to fill out the form to receive a copy of the rules (because...curiosity) However, when I got to the bottom it requires you to select if you're a US or non-U.S. based member of the All-Star community.
When I selected U.S., it directed me back to USASF for rules and guidelines. See below:

'This form is only for non-U.S. based members of the All Star Community. If you are a U.S. based member, to request a set of USASF Cheer and Dance Rules see below:
Anyone have any idea how this would work for U.S. International teams? If they are having trouble getting access to these rules...how are they supposed to prepare for Worlds? :banghead:

Adding "Worlds Level 4 Division" or "Restricted IO5/6" Or any "watered down" division is not the answer. Notice I said watered down, and not less competitive. Guaranteed these divisions would be competitive - as there are tons of gyms that would field very competitive teams in these divisions.

The problem here is, "The Cheerleading World Championships" should be the best of the best. It is the world championships.

Put these restricted/IO4/watered down/ Pre worlds divisions in an equally high stakes environment, same venue, same 'travel competition' called The Summit and reserve the World Championships for the highest, most advanced athletes in the sport (which is a fraction of what is currently being allowed to compete at worlds).

But this will never happen, because 1) gyms use "We field a Worlds Team" as a marketing ploy. 2) Bid competitions will give an exorbitant amount of bids away, maybe to some teams who aren't at a level to compete at worlds. 3) USASF/IASF doesn't care because that's money in their pocket. It comes back to many discussions had on the boards before suck as limiting bids/ athlete level registration/ etc.

I will be the first to admit that me personally as an athlete, at my peak performance, was not what I would personally define, a worlds-caliber athlete. Although I competed at worlds, and I could stunt at an above average level - my tumbling was a strong level 3, basic level 4, with a jump-tuck and the occasional full twist. By no means was I among the elites. Would I have still cheered if I wasn't on a "Worlds Team" - I would like to think so. Would I still Cheerleading if I could have been a maxed-out athlete in an IO4 division, and still compete at a "championship" such as the summit - absolutely.

TL,DR: Adding restricted divisions, or introductory divisions to the world championships is not the answer to this problem.

I have been reading the IASF facebook page and there is a lot of interesting discussion. A few years ago an Industry Professional (maybe @Drkilluzionz - my apologies if it wasn't you) told us to be careful what we wish for and I remember back then thinking his words had a lot of merit. Now here we are, and as many have suggested it's likely that these changes are being made due to the talk of cheer being an Olympic sport. This means that like other sports, the World Championships location would change and different countries would have an opportunity to host - which makes perfect sense, but obviously that would have a huge impact on the current Worlds competition as we know it.
Given the huge amount of changes that would be made, it seems to make the most sense to start with the ICU competition and establish rules, code of points/judging system, etc within that smaller group of teams. Have Team USA funded (at least in part) and that one team travels to the World Championship. Keep all star as it is now with gradual rule changes over the course of several years. It will be interesting to see what IASF comes back with regarding their latest rule changes and where this train is headed next.

Most other sports do not have Worlds for club teams. I just thought of soccer though, they have the UEFA champions league for club teams which is very prestigious, it's for the top European clubs.

So just because you have national teams doesn't mean you can't have club teams compete at a high level also?

I have been reading the IASF facebook page and there is a lot of interesting discussion. A few years ago an Industry Professional (maybe @Drkilluzionz - my apologies if it wasn't you) told us to be careful what we wish for and I remember back then thinking his words had a lot of merit. Now here we are, and as many have suggested it's likely that these changes are being made due to the talk of cheer being an Olympic sport. This means that like other sports, the World Championships location would change and different countries would have an opportunity to host - which makes perfect sense, but obviously that would have a huge impact on the current Worlds competition as we know it.
Given the huge amount of changes that would be made, it seems to make the most sense to start with the ICU competition and establish rules, code of points/judging system, etc within that smaller group of teams. Have Team USA funded (at least in part) and that one team travels to the World Championship. Keep all star as it is now with gradual rule changes over the course of several years. It will be interesting to see what IASF comes back with regarding their latest rule changes and where this train is headed next.

Pretty sure ICU worlds 2019 won’t be in Florida...or not even USA. So there’s that.

Back