College New Nca Rule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Did it also say that there should be a ponytail or was that a rumor?

I actually could see many teams taking a chance at prelims with their normal bows waiting to see if they get a warning.
I know many of the bows don't have tails that hang down in the face so maybe they will lets those bows slide.
Nope nothing about ponytails, I copied the entire email. We just spent $20 a piece on bows. We will be wearing them and taking our smaller plain white bows for backup.

This is not a new rule, it was there last year as well. Our college team was also stressing about the bow thing as well last year. They just don't want the bow to be a distraction and want to make a distiction that this is not all star cheerleading. We did not put jewels on our bows like we planned on and we had the bow more in the center of the girls heads instead of near the front.

And we also had our practice bows with us for back-up just in case

This is not a new rule, it was there last year as well. Our college team was also stressing about the bow thing as well last year. They just don't want the bow to be a distraction and want to make a distiction that this is not all star cheerleading. We did not put jewels on our bows like we planned on and we had the bow more in the center of the girls heads instead of near the front.

And we also had our practice bows with us for back-up just in case

If it were in the rules last year then why isn't it in the rules posted on the nca website? I read through the entire thing and didn't see the bow thing at all because it was instead sent in an e-mail. Did it get removed this year from the actual rules?

Hrmm... interesting. In a larger scheme I would see this trickling down to uniforms in general and standardizing uniforms.

Of course the more standardized the uniforms the easier they are to make and the more players that can get into the game to produce them locally and cheaply.

Hrmm... interesting. In a larger scheme I would see this trickling down to uniforms in general and standardizing uniforms.

Of course the more standardized the uniforms the easier they are to make and the more players that can get into the game to produce them locally and cheaply.

That is what I thought when I found out about the rule. Next thing they are going to do is do away with crop tops, which I actually find odd coming from NCA.

That is what I thought when I found out about the rule. Next thing they are going to do is do away with crop tops, which I actually find odd coming from NCA.

Are there still a lot of teams with crop tops? In the 6 years since my first trip to NCA in 2006, I've seen a lot of teams go from crop tops and low rise skirts to full tops. Or at least much more conservative crop tops.

Are there still a lot of teams with crop tops? In the 6 years since my first trip to NCA in 2006, I've seen a lot of teams go from crop tops and low rise skirts to full tops. Or at least much more conservative crop tops.
dont quote me on it, but i think theres a requirement for how many inches the bottom of your top can be from the top of your skirt.

I have a feeling that teams will do large bows (like normal) on day one and just receive the warning. and then wear a different bow on day 2... A loophole, if you will!
"Violations of this rule during preliminary competition will result in a warning, and violations during final competition can result in a .1 “Collegiate Image” deduction from each panel judge."

Louisville went back to crop tops after 2 years of full tops, HPU wears them, SFA (except for their new ones they got last year), OSU has crop tops, I think South Carolina does too. Many teams have crop tops the differnce is the requirements for the length of the tops and how low the skirts sit.

I have a feeling that teams will do large bows (like normal) on day one and just receive the warning. and then wear a different bow on day 2... A loophole, if you will!
"Violations of this rule during preliminary competition will result in a warning, and violations during final competition can result in a .1 “Collegiate Image” deduction from each panel judge."

I agree, I think teams will wear their normal bows for prelims and see if they get a warning or not and then for finals change their bows. Too many teams have probably already purchased their bows for them to not wear them at all.

Louisville went back to crop tops after 2 years of full tops, HPU wears them, SFA (except for their new ones they got last year), OSU has crop tops, I think South Carolina does too. Many teams have crop tops the differnce is the requirements for the length of the tops and how low the skirts sit.

I agree, I think teams will wear their normal bows for prelims and see if they get a warning or not and then for finals change their bows. Too many teams have probably already purchased their bows for them to not wear them at all.

and its also a "matter of fact" thing to do. Changing rules this close to Nationals is ridiculous. When rules and regulations change, do it then. Not 3 weeks before Nationals!! a bit ridiculous!

wait..
I am reading about this new rule for bows at NCA. I guess they have to be 2" bows with the tails facing the back and if it is too big or facing forward it will be a .1 in deductions for "collegiate image". I find it funny they they would make such a silly rule, what is this UCA with ribbons tied in your hair? Next think you know they are going to say no more crop tops.

Also heard that the hair has to be in a PONY TAIL.
Does UCA have a rule saying that you can only wear a ribbon? Cause when I was watching cheer on ESPN last night I did notice it seemed like everyone had ribbon, but it really stood out that a lot of them would come undone during the performance, which took more away from it than if they wore a bow.. and could possible be dangerous?

wait..
Does UCA have a rule saying that you can only wear a ribbon? Cause when I was watching cheer on ESPN last night I did notice it seemed like everyone had ribbon, but it really stood out that a lot of them would come undone during the performance, which took more away from it than if they wore a bow.. and could possible be dangerous?

I don't know if they have a rule but most UCA colleges just wear ribbon because it is traditional. the UK cheerleaders wear ribbon like they do for games.

I remember a few years ago I had to cut some of our bows going into finals cause the tails were too long, but I didn't think they'd make a rule saying they had to face the back. The UK cheerleaders look pretty like that but they look like they're going out, not going to compete.

This coming from NCA is a little odd! When I think of NCA, I think of Louisville. When I think of Louisville, I think of big red bows. That is their collegiate tradition and suits their image just fine IMO. I like the bows personally! I also don't understand why they want to separate the image from allstars. They are much more like allstars than traditional cheer anyways. Why try to change what you are known for?

Correct me if I'm wrong but a season or two ago UCA tried to do this with high schools. I remember a couple of teams around here following it (my team didn't) and when we got to competition the rule wasn't even addressed and almost no one had their bows backwards.

Back