OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I honestly have no idea how I'm using 5gb/mo. In the last year or so my usage has exploded. I'm on it all the time though. Sometimes I turn the wifi off and forget to put it back on.
We share 30 GB among 6 of us, that's 5 per person... My mom, sister, and I used to be the only ones and each had 2GB per month and never went over. Now with 5 per person my brothers regularly use up the data before the month is over. And when we use it up its typically less than 1GB used by mom, sister, myself, and my oldest brother and then the twins using 10+ GB each! It's out of control. I'm not even sure how they do it considering their school and home both have wifi and basically the only other place they go is church (which also has wifi) and basketball practice... They're going to be paying my parents back for data till they're 30. $15 for every 1GB over and many months we go like 5+ over because of them.

We share 30 GB among 6 of us, that's 5 per person... My mom, sister, and I used to be the only ones and each had 2GB per month and never went over. Now with 5 per person my brothers regularly use up the data before the month is over. And when we use it up its typically less than 1GB used by mom, sister, myself, and my oldest brother and then the twins using 10+ GB each! It's out of control. I'm not even sure how they do it considering their school and home both have wifi and basically the only other place they go is church (which also has wifi) and basketball practice... They're going to be paying my parents back for data till they're 30. $15 for every 1GB over and many months we go like 5+ over because of them.

My husband and I got booted from our parents plans and got our own about a year ago, maybe a little longer, when we were engaged. At the time I was seriously considering getting the 6gb plan because that was more than we used (we used maybe a combined 4gb). And now we're averaging 10. It's so weird.

I think my usage might be partly attributed to upgrading to the iPhone 6. I had LTE before, but maybe the bigger screen somehow uses more data? Not sure how his has increased so much though.

I honestly have no idea how I'm using 5gb/mo. In the last year or so my usage has exploded. I'm on it all the time though. Sometimes I turn the wifi off and forget to put it back on.

She used to only have 2GB per month so I dont know how to she went from that to using around 5. I guess while I was abroad she was using over 6. I tell her to stop streaming music when shes not on wifi but she does anyway and insists that it doesnt use much data. I only used 5GB in November, December, half of January, all of June and part of July combined. I just don't get it.

ETA: I also have the iPhone 6.

She used to only have 2GB per month so I dont know how to she went from that to using around 5. I guess while I was abroad she was using over 6. I tell her to stop streaming music when shes not on wifi but she does anyway and insists that it doesnt use much data. I only used 5GB in November, December, half of January, all of June and part of July combined. I just don't get it.

If you have an iPhone you can see which apps are hogging data by going into settings > cellular. These are my 5 most data heavy apps (usage is since March when I last reset it)

Facebook: 2.4 GB
Snapchat: 1.7 GB (and I'm not a huge snapchat user - but they autodownload snaps I believe)
Twitter: 1.5 GB
App Store: 1.4 GB
Instagram: 1.2 GB

If you have an iPhone you can see which apps are hogging data by going into settings > cellular. These are my 5 most data heavy apps (usage is since March when I last reset it)

Snapchat: 1.7 GB (and I'm not a huge snapchat user - but they autodownload snaps I believe)

How do you reset the usage?

ETA: Is it the reset statistics?

I am on a family plan though AT&T, but I had unlimited data until April. My mom called to see what should could do to reduce the bill and now I have to share data. We keep going over. I'm low key convinced that somewhere AT&T is lying and lied to my mom to get her to drop unlimited. I work at a library (free wifi) and of course I have wifi at home. My phone is on wifi more than its not. Yet, since I got rid of unlimited, the amount they initially said I used for data has nearly doubled and we constantly are going over.

Yet I'm connect to wifi more than ever now.

But okay AT&T. Sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on a family plan though AT&T, but I had unlimited data until April. My mom called to see what should could do to reduce the bill and now I have to share data. We keep going over. I'm low key convinced that somewhere AT&T is lying and lied to my mom to get her to drop unlimited. I work at a library (free wifi) and of course I have wifi at home. My phone is on wifi more than its not. Yet, since I got rid of unlimited, the amount they initially said I used for data has nearly doubled and we constantly are going over.

But okay AT&T. Sure.

This. Everyone I know who has a data plan says no matter what they increase it to, they go over. I am a major skeptic, but I do think these phone companies are playing with data usage.

But okay AT&T. Sure.

Oh my gosh yes. I have WiFi at work and at home, and on the way to work the only thing I use is Beats in "offline" mode.

So how am I using close to 5gb per month all of a sudden? I used to use 2. I'm 100% sure AT&T is doing something shady.

Last month I took my daughter's phone for 3 weeks of the month because she was grounded. It was literally turned off, in the bottom of my purse. But she managed to use 4gb of data that month? Doubtful, AT&T. Yet when I asked them, they just swear she used it all in that one week, or that it was apps running in the background. With the phone off? Then the guy tried to tell me it probably wasn't off the whole time and I just didn't realize it. [emoji19]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This. Everyone I know who has a data plan says no matter what they increase it to, they go over. I am a major skeptic, but I do think these phone companies are playing with data usage.
We had 15 GB and always went over, but when we went over we would never be over 20 GB. Then they doubled our data to 30 GB and we still go over every month. I understand that 14 year old boys are irresponsible but they didn't even know it was doubled the first month, only my mom and I did, so it wasn't like they thought they had more to use... and we were still over. So sketch.
Often times my mom has to turn off their data and leave it for the rest of it. But the problem is if data is off, at least for me, I don't get text messages, even from non iPhones and when I'm connected to wifi. So i have to have my data on, which means if I ever needed to complain they'd have the excuse that "apps were just running in the background".
It's all sketch.

I never go over, but like I said, we have 15gb for two people. But I have wondered if they're playing with usage too. I'm going to try and track my data usage on a month by month basis on my iphone. See what it says there.

But okay AT&T. Sure.

It's really easy to convince somehow who doesn't know any better to drop their unlimited data. Back when my husband was on his mom's family plan this happened to them. "Oh you guys only use a combined 4gb of data. It's cheaper to get shared data and get the 6gb! No one needs unlimited data and you'll save money." So she went ahead and changed it without talking to him.

I think part of my increase in usage is iOS8. But I've followed a lot of the recommendations for turning off some of the OS's data hogging settings. And my husband has an Android. So how has his usage drastically increased since last September or so?

Last edited:

That made me look at mine now. Since September 2013, I've used 8.5 GB on Snapchat and that doesn't surprise me since Snapchat is blocked on my school's wifi[emoji28]

I'm on the ATT family plan with my parents and bro. Everyone but my brother has an iPhone and we rarely go over 10GB per month. I try to keep my phone on wifi whenever I'm at home and I think I've trained my parents enough to do the same. But besides my mom occasionally sending photos, I doubt my parents use that much data.

Oh my gosh yes. I have WiFi at work and at home, and on the way to work the only thing I use is Beats in "offline" mode.

So how am I using close to 5gb per month all of a sudden? I used to use 2. I'm 100% sure AT&T is doing something shady.

Last month I took my daughter's phone for 3 weeks of the month because she was grounded. It was literally turned off, in the bottom of my purse. But she managed to use 4gb of data that month? Doubtful, AT&T. Yet when I asked them, they just swear she used it all in that one week, or that it was apps running in the background. With the phone off? Then the guy tried to tell me it probably wasn't off the whole time and I just didn't realize it. [emoji19]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Someone at AT&T told my friend that they have recently (within the past year) done something with their service that will default to LTE, even if you're on wifi, if the LTE connection is stronger and/or faster. It still shows on your phone that you're on wifi.

Back