All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Don't know why I noticed it but practicing with a belly ring! To me it is an accident waiting to to happen! No jewelry allowed at our gym.
Over all a decent show about cheer and the commitment it takes.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Glad I wasn't alone. Total Mom moment, but Belly ring and no seat belt? No bueno.

@King makes a good point, when you know what is driving someone to do something, it all makes sense. I've had teachers who thought the whole idea of cheer was silly. It wasn't until I wrote the essay about why I cheered - the escape from problems at school, a sense of pride, as I was the performer I wanted to be, that they understood it. This is an element that many cheer documentaries leave out, and I wish they'd cover it more.

@King makes a good point, when you know what is driving someone to do something, it all makes sense. I've had teachers who thought the whole idea of cheer was silly. It wasn't until I wrote the essay about why I cheered - the escape from problems at school, a sense of pride, as I was the performer I wanted to be, that they understood it. This is an element that many cheer documentaries leave out, and I wish they'd cover it more.

I think the only documentary that covers the addiction, the drive and the determination is the Twinkles: Chasing Perfection. Possibly the best cheer documentary out there, i just wish they showed it on TV.

The segment was about the extraordinary families in cheerleading and what they go through to participate in cheer. The families themselves (and athletes) looked and presented themselves well and honestly, but the segment did nothing for cheer as a whole. I have said it a few times about this segment. Viewers watch and know that cheerleaders and cheer families would give up school for cheer, pay 100k to do it, and get really stressed and take it really seriously. No one ever covers why they do it. The 'why' is the most important part. All the time people want cheer to be taken seriously. They watch this segment to say 'look at this! We work hard!' Well pretty much anything you take seriously you will work hard at. We want a segment that covers why cheer is so addicting, why others should do it or watch it, why people should put their kids into it!

Possibly while glossing over our current scoresheet though... :eek:
at 4:09 the narrator says something along the lines "carlys mom believes this all serves a greater purpose" then carlys mom says "she learns lessons that she wouldn't learn outside of cheer"

I thought the episode was fine for what they showed. Night line has a wide variety of people who watch, they can't cater to the cheer obsessed who watch. of course people who follow the sport want a more in depth look, but most people who watch nightline on a daily basis aren't allstar cheer obsessed.

I agree with the comments about the hair. We all have had that experience and we get it but it comes across as the kid is acting like a spoiled brat on national television - too "toddlers and tiara like" for me.

I actually felt that same way about that segment. It didn't help that on the day of worlds, when they were doing her hair, it gave the same vibe. I'm not saying she shouldn't and wouldn't be stressed, but wrapped together it didn't look good to the outside.

For what it was, it wasn't bad; but it wasn't what I was expecting. And nothing again Gabi and Michaeleddie; but I kind of wished they had chosen 3 athletes from 3 different gyms...maybe from Orange, TG, or the like. Or cover 4. Who knows who they tried to recruit first, but it would have been cool to see.

at 4:09 the narrator says something along the lines "carlys mom believes this all serves a greater purpose" then carlys mom says "she learns lessons that she wouldn't learn outside of cheer"

Isn't that a bit vague?

Without actually saying what lessons those are; it lost it's meaning especially when it immediately goes to the school versus cheerleading question.

I actually liked that they showed Gabi acting like a brat (for lack of better words) over her hair. Not for outside viewers, but for you "insiders". People put her and others on a pedestal, like they're actual celebrities or public figures....but they aren't. She's no different than Jane Doe on senior 2 Bickering with her mother getting ready

I'd hope that clip humanized her for the cheerlebrity obsessed

Last edited:
My mom (CP's grandma) saw the segment and called me about it cause of how CP is getting involved in competitive cheer (so it was all new to her). She was fascinated by how Michaeleddie said it was harder than football and shocked by the six figure costs those parents were quoting. I guess that's mostly travel costs making up the bulk of that money, right?

I was surprised, but pleased, that they didn't play up the "its the most dangerous sport of all" angle that much - that really would have freaked my mom out.

It's hard to feel bad for Carly and her family's struggle w/ the 2 hour drive to cheer when you see her beautiful home ;). I kind of felt showing how nice her home was, and quoting numbers like $250K, gave the impression that all cheer families are wealthy and its an activity of the privileged, when that really isn't the case at all, but besides for that, and the scene w/ Gabi's hair, it was a good segment.

Back