All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i didn't realize it was going to be about extraordinary families... its like they down played the fact that all three athletes won worlds. thats a big deal and it was just an after thought in this piece. all in all, it was well done though and isn't harming our sports image, so thats a plus!

random side note... i hate that they (they being ABC and the narrator, not the Butlers) made it sound like Top Gun was some rinky-dink, no-name gym. TG wasn't mentioned by name, but they did show the video of her with TG in the background while saying she had big dreams of winning and that she had no choice but to travel across the country for a team of that caliber. to the random viewer watching, it meant nothing, but it ever so slightly bothered me.

random side note... i hate that they (they being ABC and the narrator, not the Butlers) made it sound like Top Gun was some rinky-dink, no-name gym. TG wasn't mentioned by name, but they did show the video of her with TG in the background while saying she had big dreams of winning and that she had no choice but to travel across the country for a team of that caliber. to the random viewer watching, it meant nothing, but it ever so slightly bothered me.

Yelled at the TV that Top Gun was a good team too. In general everyone downplays that she was apart of a powerhouse gym/team before moving.

I just wish people would do their own hair. Listening to Gabi yell at her mom over hair made me really upset for her mom, and if I was her mom, she'd be on her own for hair.
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, she was tired/hungry/stressed out (not that her mom wasn't, as well, but still). Though that's not an excuse for her behavior, I can understand. However I agree, it's not typical for a senior-aged kid to have someone else do their hair. This is one of the reason I am not a fan of over the top hair and makeup, it wastes so much time before and after comps.

I just wish people would do their own hair. Listening to Gabi yell at her mom over hair made me really upset for her mom, and if I was her mom, she'd be on her own for hair.
My cp and I, fuss and fight when it comes to hair/make-up, but we love doing it together;it's just more bonding time for us and believe it or not,I think it calms her down some. She actually still comes to me for help and my opinion, on her hair & clothes,on regular day-to-day mornings. I would be upset if she told me to never touch her hair or face again......but we may be the minority on this view...

If the segment had been titled something different (along the lines of "Going for the Win" or something about all star cheer as I was under the impression the segment would be about) I would be irritated with the footage, but it was about the parents and cheer was just the common link to the parents. It was fine for what it was. The athletes and parents represented themselves well. I was happy they showed Carly as an all around athlete and not just a one trick pony that some have accused her of. I agree with the comments about the hair. We all have had that experience and we get it but it comes across as the kid is acting like a spoiled brat on national television - too "toddlers and tiara like" for me.

I am disappointed that both CA and Cali fed into the stereotypes when they had the opportunity to change it. Sports bras and no shirts are not cute to the general public and both gyms are guilty of solidifying the image many not involved with the sport have. If they had the teams practicing in gym t-shirts it would have gone a long way in promoting a better image instead of tarnishing it more.

Carly's family has a nice house. That's about all I got from it but that's ok since I don't think it was meant for much more.

Proud supporter of the IBFC since 1997

The segment was about the extraordinary families in cheerleading and what they go through to participate in cheer. The families themselves (and athletes) looked and presented themselves well and honestly, but the segment did nothing for cheer as a whole. I have said it a few times about this segment. Viewers watch and know that cheerleaders and cheer families would give up school for cheer, pay 100k to do it, and get really stressed and take it really seriously. No one ever covers why they do it. The 'why' is the most important part. All the time people want cheer to be taken seriously. They watch this segment to say 'look at this! We work hard!' Well pretty much anything you take seriously you will work hard at. We want a segment that covers why cheer is so addicting, why others should do it or watch it, why people should put their kids into it!

Possibly while glossing over our current scoresheet though... :eek:

Don't know why I noticed it but practicing with a belly ring! To me it is an accident waiting to to happen! No jewelry allowed at our gym.
Over all a decent show about cheer and the commitment it takes.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

i was actually weirded out when the shot switched to just a zoomed in stomach/pelvis. hope that was an editing error. that shot probably didn't help our case to the possible future cheer moms watching the segment.

Back