No One Believes I Can Do Cheerleading, Should I Do It Anyway?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2019
I'm beginning college next month and I'm thinking about trying for cheerleading after my friend encouraged I should do it with her. Every time I mention I wanna do it to my family, they bring me down and say I can't do it because I have no experience and I'm too shy. I even brought it up to my close friend and she just made it really awkward and was like "..oh but you gotta be fit for that" and moved the topic quickly. She suggested I do volleyball, but I'd honestly rather do cheerleading since it is constantly on my mind. No one believes I can do it, but I think with hard work and dedication, I can do anything. I at least want to try it. Should I just do it regardless of what anyone says? Or is this is a sign that I shouldn't do it?

Once again, I do not have any experience and I am a little shy. However, I looked on my school's website for cheer and it says tumbling is not a requirement, it says tumbling will be judged in comparison of those trying out. I also wanted to use cheer as a way to break out my shell and try new things. This is not a competition type cheer, it's just for fun cheering on the sidelines and that is what I want to do.

Do it. If you don't believe in yourself, why should anyone else. I'd head to a local gym and get some experience at an open gym, or a stunt session if they're offered. Get your friend who is encouraging you to go with you and show you the basics. It'll give you an idea of what to expect. Also, check out some adult rec teams too if they're your area, to get more practice as well. Good luck at tryouts

I’d do it! I simply believe that if people tell you that you can’t do it that you have to do it and prove them wrong!

If you want tryout. My oldest CP wanted to tryout for her College Cheer All Girl team as a base. She didn't because of a lack of confidence. Now she regrets not trying. Can I ask which College?

Do it anyway. You cannot listen to people tell you you're not the type. Nobody -- including my mom -- thought I was the type because I was shy, bookish, and low-key. Still am. And when I tell people I'm a cheer coach, their first response is always "...really?" Doesn't stop me from loving it.

And like you mentioned, it's a great way to break out of your shell. A big reason why I liked HS cheer was because it gave me a chance to by loud and sparkly, which is not my usual disposition. Sideline cheer gave me a solid two hours to be something I wasn't and show my peers that yeah...I was THAT girl. So don't let others make this decision for you.

A word of advice: I'd really seek out some private lessons or even Youtube tutorials on basic cheer technique before you try out. If you roll in there clearly not having done your research -- especially at the college level -- it can look a little disrespectful. So study the basics and then give it a shot. Good luck!

Yes. Do it. If you give up before starting, nobody will believe you can do it, even yourself.
Just try, only tried, you can find the truth if you are fit to do it.
Nobody has the right to stop you.
Believe yourself! Don't let yourself regret it.
Good luck!;)

I’m the same way- I am shy but did both hs and university cheer for a short time. I agree, try out so you won’t have any regrets.

Do it anyway. You cannot listen to people tell you you're not the type. Nobody -- including my mom -- thought I was the type because I was shy, bookish, and low-key. Still am. And when I tell people I'm a cheer coach, their first response is always "...really?" Doesn't stop me from loving it.

And like you mentioned, it's a great way to break out of your shell. A big reason why I liked HS cheer was because it gave me a chance to by loud and sparkly, which is not my usual disposition. Sideline cheer gave me a solid two hours to be something I wasn't and show my peers that yeah...I was THAT girl. So don't let others make this decision for you.

A word of advice: I'd really seek out some private lessons or even Youtube tutorials on basic cheer technique before you try out. If you roll in there clearly not having done your research -- especially at the college level -- it can look a little disrespectful. So study the basics and then give it a shot. Good luck!
You should definitely do it !
I’m the same way- I am shy but did both hs and university cheer for a short time. I agree, try out so you won’t have any regrets.

I'm beginning college next month and I'm thinking about trying for cheerleading after my friend encouraged I should do it with her. Every time I mention I wanna do it to my family, they bring me down and say I can't do it because I have no experience and I'm too shy. I even brought it up to my close friend and she just made it really awkward and was like "..oh but you gotta be fit for that" and moved the topic quickly. She suggested I do volleyball, but I'd honestly rather do cheerleading since it is constantly on my mind. No one believes I can do it, but I think with hard work and dedication, I can do anything. I at least want to try it. Should I just do it regardless of what anyone says? Or is this is a sign that I shouldn't do it?

Once again, I do not have any experience and I am a little shy. However, I looked on my school's website for cheer and it says tumbling is not a requirement, it says tumbling will be judged in comparison of those trying out. I also wanted to use cheer as a way to break out my shell and try new things. This is not a competition type cheer, it's just for fun cheering on the sidelines and that is what I want to do.

Believe in yourself & go for it!

My daughter is very shy. The moment she gets on stage it’s like a switch is flipped. She loves to perform- you should do it!

Back