High School Not Approving Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Degrassi doesn't take place in Quebec, Canada.

Elementary school stops at Grad 6th, then it's secondary 1 to 5. You get out of secondary at age 17. Then you have what is called CEGEP for two or 3 years or you can choose a professional program. CEGEP gets you ready for University. Seems complicated but it's simple really.
Didn't realize it was different across the provinces, sorry! Sounds more akin to education in the UK where you go trade or academic route. Thanks for explaining.

Degrassi doesn't take place in Quebec, Canada.

Elementary school stops at Grad 6th, then it's secondary 1 to 5. You get out of secondary at age 17. Then you have what is called CEGEP for two or 3 years or you can choose a professional program. CEGEP gets you ready for University. Seems complicated but it's simple really.
That does sound confusing. So what age do you get out of school then? 19/20? I know some here will be fully done by 17 (with late birthdays). Is the CEGEP mandatory?

That does sound confusing. So what age do you get out of school then? 19/20? I know some here will be fully done by 17 (with late birthdays). Is the CEGEP mandatory?

Education is mandatory here until age 16. So after that, you can stop whenever. But if you want your secondary diploma, you have to finish the 5 years.

After secondary you have many options, including CEGEP. If you want to go to University, CEGEP is mandatory. It offers two types of programs: general (classes to get you ready for University programs) or technical (which leads you to work right after).

We don't have SAT so universities choose a candidate based on the CEGEP program the candidate did and how well he performed. You get out of CEGEP at 19, fully-rounded and ready to get to the big school. It really helps make the transition between secondary school and university.

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that your parents may never approve and support you on this and if that is the case I am truly sorry. On the upside their are some wonderful kids and parents involved in cheer that will be there for you in some capacity.

Based on reactions when cp started doing rec many years ago I will take a guess that your parents, mainly dad, may be afraid of you being gay for liking what is now considered a woman's sport. For some that fear may never go away even though that is not how it works.

I agree with trying to get them to watch some videos of Navarro, Louisville, Kentucky, TGLC, BSB to see the roles the guys play in this. Also, look for videos from Stuntfest this weekend from the college NCA in Daytona this weekend. One thing cp always told people is look at all the beautiful ladies I get to hang out with. It did quiet a lot of them down.

Do a little research on the history of cheer as well. A lot of people are shocked to learn that sideline cheer was originally created by men and dominated by them for many years before women started. Lots of famous men have participated in cheer over the years.

**Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to so I feel smart answering them**
It's my mom, dad, grandma, and uncle. My friend mom told me that she will gladly help with anything but I passed the offer. I'll showing her the nfinity movie. My mom thinks I'm gay because I hangout with girls and I talk fast when I'm mad, but I don't see why she want me to play football and wrestle when she thinks I'm gay. I told her all the famous male celebrities who were cheerleaders. Also I tried taking her to a cheerleading competition and she wouldn't go but my grandmother did but it was still no it's for girls and there were like 10 male cheerleaders there. My mom also told me that I will quit once the bullying starts.

Does your school have male cheerleaders already? If so, maybe reach out to them to see how they've dealt with this.

Ya what Kpep said only applies to Quebec in canada. Every other province in Canada does Junior and Senior kindergarten and then grades 1-12 and post secondary. I think we start kindergarten younger so we graduate at 17/18 years old.

As for your parents I think you should show them examples but you can't do much if you don't have money to pay/they won't sign for you to be an athlete.

I tend to agree with @Cheer Dad . Wish I had wonderful advice, but it's really hard for outsiders to correctly diagnose family situations.

I hate to say this but if your family is that homophobic about this I don't think there is much you can do until you are 18 and able to sign your own consent forms and be financially responsible.

**Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to so I feel smart answering them**
I actually had a talk with them. My mom and dad are not together so my dad can take a bow and get off stage. My mom said she see why but don't approve. But my mom is weird so it have to depends on tryouts.

I actually had a talk with them. My mom and dad are not together so my dad can take a bow and get off stage. My mom said she see why but don't approve. But my mom is weird so it have to depends on tryouts.
Okay, she doesn't approve but will she sign off on school cheer so she can prove she is right and you are wrong? Does that make sense?

Back