All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's super scatter brained, but I Pmed you.

CP ran a race recently that had a Competitive Walking category---no joke, you should look into it...they handed out cute medals for the top 3.
I found some videos online of synchronized walking. I'd love to see this in the Olympics.

In my homecountry, the media has been very positive about cheerleading granted the provisional olympics status, mainly because it is one of the most successfull countries in ICU cheer.
Like mentioned already here, the olympics cheer = ICU cheer and I believe the divisions will be Coed Premier and All-Girl Premier (no Elite level 5). Some people already mentioned here going for spring floor, which could be a possible scenario to showcase the synchronized tumbling aspect of the sport.
Also very interesting would be if Los Angeles will be selected as host city for Olympics 2024, will cheer have a bigger change to get selected considering the fact that US is a powerhouse of cheerleading. Other candidate cities are Budapest in Hungary and Paris in France where cheerleading is not that well known sport.

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add my view of it.

I always go to both ICU Worlds and USASF/IASF Worlds. I prefer allstar cheerleading - just like most of you here on the board. I do like to watch college cheerleading too, but allstar cheerleading is just what I LOVE. However, ICU Worlds is probably my favorite day during the Worlds weekend. I get chills just thinking about it, the feeling to the event is soooo amazing. Especially if you're on one of the national teams, but as a spectator too. Everyone is so happy to be there and everyone cheers for everyone. It's not about teams or gyms, it's about countries. If you have the opportunity to go, take the chance. If cheerleading in the Olympics is somewhere near the same, it will probably be amazing, just like ICU Worlds.

USA puts out great routines at ICU every year - however, they do NOT dominate the competition. They have the most wins, yes, but they haven't won every year. Chinese Taipei won coed 2015 - the US had to step up 2016 to take back the gold. There's lots of other great countries in the coed category that are "up there" too: Finland, Thailand, Canada, Puerto Rico - to name a few. In the all girl category, Norway and Finland are very close to the US team. Denmark and Sweden are up and coming too. When ICU had the partner stunt and group stunt categories, Slovenia, Finland and Norway all got the gold.

As I said, USA always have great routines. Their teams mostly consist of current or former college athletes from Louisville, OSU, Morehead, Kentucky and so on. I think you have to be 18 to do Team USA? So they want more experienced athletes. Most of these athletes have done allstar cheerleading before college. If cheer would be in the Olympics, trying out for Team USA would probably be even more popular. And they would most likely spend a few more days practicing together - right now they start to practice 10 days before the competition. Most of you probably didn't know that, right? Pretty incredible.

936758_10151369328457274_300976662_n.jpg

298077_10151369885392274_563580030_n.jpg

Last edited:
Double post, but what I also like about ICU Worlds is that it feels more fair. And I'm not talking about scoresheet or hard floor (but that too) - I'm talking about funding. I see Team USA athletes trying to collect money to be able to do Team USA, just like the rest of us do to be able to go (even though we have to fly across the world to get to the competition lol). There are no paid bids. USASF/IASF Worlds will never be a fair playing field because it's just so expensive for international teams. Just the participation fee is crazy high - and then add flights, hotel and rental cars. Cheerleading is not a business in most countries, the cheerleading programs are non-profit. We have one chance each year to get a (non-paid) bid to Worlds. ONE CHANCE. And only two teams per category can go.

The Olympics would be even more "fair". Different locations each time, better sponsorship opportunities, only one team per country and so on.

if the levels were to run how the ICU worlds is, i would be fine that.... but have doubles though, of course i know it's hard to double on hard mat, but having doubles in running tumbling would be a great addition imo.

Then Worlds wouldn't even matter if you look at it this way.

Keep in mind every sporting federation from skiing to badminton to gymnastics all have their form of worlds every year. The only thing that will change is qualifying for an Olympic team.

ICU Worlds will always remain the same even in an Olympic year. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You took the right words right from my tounge. Is there even any connection between ICU and Varsity? Because if cheer becomes and Olympics sport I don't think Varsity has to do anything with it.

Huge connection to Varsity. Which I understand confuses things.

Jeff Webb and Karl Olsen are top brass at the ICU and of course Varsity. The sporting federation HQ is in Memphis.

Last edited:
Double post, but what I also like about ICU Worlds is that it feels more fair. And I'm not talking about scoresheet or hard floor (but that too) - I'm talking about funding. I see Team USA athletes trying to collect money to be able to do Team USA, just like the rest of us do to be able to go (even though we have to fly across the world to get to the competition lol). There are no paid bids. USASF/IASF Worlds will never be a fair playing field because it's just so expensive for international teams. Just the participation fee is crazy high - and then add flights, hotel and rental cars. Cheerleading is not a business in most countries, the cheerleading programs are non-profit. We have one chance each year to get a (non-paid) bid to Worlds. ONE CHANCE. And only two teams per category can go.

The Olympics would be even more "fair". Different locations each time, better sponsorship opportunities, only one team per country and so on.

What's different about that than ICU though? Paid bids rarely go to open teams, and certainly not level 6 teams. You still have college kids trying to raise money to go to USASF Worlds, just like you do for ICU. Those open teams also don't go to as many bid competitions as the senior teams because they can't afford to. Many only go to one event, just like your teams do. ICU is still more expensive for non-us teams than it is for Team USA, but you just said that USA doesn't dominate. So what's different? The International divisions at Worlds are there to create more of a playing field. You can't compare the senior club divisions to your international teams.

Huge connection to Varsity. Which I understand confuses things.

Jeff Webb and Karl Olsen are top brass at the ICU and of course Varsity. The sporting federation HQ is in Memphis.

The only address for ICU is a PO Box but I'm sure if they do have offices that they share space with Varsity.

Well said. Speaking solely from a business standpoint, people can agree or disagree with the choices of Varsity, however, they have risked hundreds of millions of dollars in their investments and legal over the years to get cheer to where it is. If you look at any other sport, they are following almost an identical path to get cheer the same organization and recognition. They have made money, huge money but, they have stood to lose huge money and have employed, directly and indirectly, thousands of people. If we think solely about all of the privately owned businesses from gyms to bow makers and corps such as Nike, airlines and hotels that have benefited from their financial risk it's very impressive. Mistakes happen, some businesses lose but, love 'em or hate 'em, I have a business crush on Varsity.

Let's not forget that Varsity testified that cheer (Acro & Tumbling) was not a sport and then turned around and created STUNT to try and be recognized as a sport. They didn't have their hands in A&T so testified against it and created their own version they could benefit from.

Let's not forget that Varsity testified that cheer (Acro & Tumbling) was not a sport and then turned around and created STUNT to try and be recognized as a sport. They didn't have their hands in A&T so testified against it and created their own version they could benefit from.

Look at that statement solely from a business point of view. If A & T had received sport recognition, could it have been a valid threat to Varsity? I'm not a callous person, I do feel for those that lose in business. With that said, there was a lot of thought and risk entering the arena with a corporation that has been around 40+ years with the slogan "We Are Cheerleading", and let's be realistic, "creating" an event which is essentially cheer minus the dance and jump portion. What is clear to me, is that Varsity is carefully managing the "sport" status which I personally feel is extremely wise.

Back