Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
So here goes. . .there are lots of AWESOME ideas about improving things that gyms like about competitions, scoresheets and so on in the "Crazy ideas" thread.

IMO the SINGLE BIGGEST issue dragging Cheerleading as an industry down from the rest of the sporting world are the 500+ "nationals" competitions. Lots of discussion to be had on just this point, so I'll start off with a suggestion and see where it goes -

1. No need to limit the number of competitions. But competitions are no longer allowed to use the terms "Nationals", "State championships" etc, unless they are the one and only. The rest of the structure would break out in the following points.
2. Small competitions are considered "Invitiationals"
3. Slightly larger competitions may be called "Cups"
4. "State championships" should be supported by all the cheer companies in the interest of promoting the sport itself
5. "Regionals" would be the next level. This is where you have to start being careful, as some regions are more "cheer populated" than others. Probably have to figure out a split by number of gyms (i.e. I am sure Texas can have 2 or 3 regions)
6. At this point you can get to a true "National" competition system. Try to make it a win-win where each major cheer event producer gets a region or promotes it's "Nationals Qualifier"
7. With a proper "National" competitive system in place, the top Nationals teams and maybe a few of the top "Nationals Qualifiers" may compete at worlds.

As I was typing this out, the idea of "National Qualifiers" sounded a lot like Worlds qualifiers and I think that's the point. Worlds was created because there was not another good way to bring the true best teams to one competition. It has evolved into a truly international competition. I think it would be great to fix the nationals system and still allow for the "best of the best" to still go on to Worlds.

At any rate, that's the start of my idea. I'd be happy to hear how everyone can improve upon it.

I have been hoping and praying for a system like this for years now. The problem is, event producers want to make money, and they make money by letting 500 teams be "national champions". I say let event producers have as many national comps as they want, but I want the USASF to create their OWN version of what you just outlined above.

McLovin said:
I have been hoping and praying for a system like this for years now. The problem is, event producers want to make money, and they make money by letting 500 teams be "national champions". I say let event producers have as many national comps as they want, but I want the USASF to create their OWN version of what you just outlined above.

i agree with the first post and agree with this 100%. but with travel fees most nationals would probably be put in a warmer climate causing some teams to not even being able to go because of the bad economy, for instance the closest my gym is getting to anywhere near a warm climate is ocean city, md and virginia beach(that's only if our teams get either a first place bid or paid bid)

There's no reason the National Event couldn't be moved from location to location each year. Just like gymnastics and figure skating move their nationals to different cities year after year. And as far as traveling costs are concerned, I would imagine most parents would be willing to fork out the money to attend "nationals" if it was truly a national and the only one of it's kind. It's more prestigious if it's one of a kind and being a parent, I would be more inclined to fork out the money for the trip knowing it was such.

McLovin said:
There's no reason the National Event couldn't be moved from location to location each year. Just like gymnastics and figure skating move their nationals to different cities year after year. And as far as traveling costs are concerned, I would imagine most parents would be willing to fork out the money to attend "nationals" if it was truly a national and the only one of it's kind. It's more prestigious if it's one of a kind and being a parent, I would be more inclined to fork out the money for the trip knowing it was such.

i never really thought about it like this. good point, i pay for cheer myself and i would definetely dish out some money to go to a one of a kind nationals

This is a great idea.... in theory. Unfortunately, it will never happen. This is a business, and the competition directors are here to make money first. The term "Nationals" is thrown around constantly by these companies to lure in as many local teams as possible. The same goes for the gyms, it seems more prestigious that your program has won thousands of National Titles when your trying to attract more athletes into your program. This inevitable trend has only saturated the market with 100's of National Championship competitions.

Now some competition companies, UCA for example, only have one National Championship for All Stars, and one for High School. But do you think they are going to relinquish their event so their is only one "Nationals", not a chance. Nor is CheerSport, the largest Nationals competition, or NCA All Stars, the most prestigious All Star national competition. It diminishes their image as a brand, and every company is trying to build a brand image as the number one competition company available.

That is why we have Worlds, the last big event of the year with the best teams from around the country competing for a true National (World) Title. Plus, there is also the Nfinity Cup as well (similar scoring to Nascar) that calculates the the scores throughout the season to determine the best team in country. It's based off of the total number of teams you competed against throughout the season and how you ranked against them in each competition.

While I do agree with you that it will never happen, it saddens me because at some point people have to realize that if this sport became more prestigious in the eyes of the NON cheer world, it would bring more and more athletes to gyms, which in turn would bring more and more athletes to these companies. Just because all these 200 event producers can't have their own individual "national" doesn't mean they wouldn't continue to make a butt load of money. Our sport is so relatively small compared to most. Can you imagine how big it could become if we were "prestigious" enough to become an olympic sport? Or even big enough to be shown on our local channels a few times a year.

Absolutely, and the USASF, with help of the ICU, are taking steps to legitimize competitive cheerleading as a sport. With the efforts that are being made here in the U.S and now with over 75 countries with competitive cheer teams under some sort of regional governing body, we are closer than ever to seeing competitive cheer become a national sport (looks like 2016). That will definitely begin to open people eyes to how amazing these athletes are.

As for the comment about moving an event, such as Worlds, to different location every year... that too will probably not happen. Believe it or not, Varsity is Disney's biggest single customer. Since the USASF "works" closely with Varsity; Worlds will continue to be held at at Disney at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. However, you can't blame them. No where else in this country is a venue that can overcome the logistical nightmare of running an event of that size with teams from all over the world. They are able to accomadate everything, pick-up from the airport, busing to the events and back to the hotel rooms, plus entertainment, all while providing multiple venues for cheer and dance.

Now some would argue that CheerSport and NCA pull it off, but neither of those companies provide anything memorable for the competitors and spectators. It makes it so much easier for coaches and parents to know that everything is taken care of instead of having to schedule the airlines, busing, multiple hotels, etc. At least from my standpoint it is the easiest thing to plan for all year, maybe parents would disagree.

I don't believe that DisneyWorld is the only place in the entire US that can accommodate the event. The performance venues are simply dreadful in comparison to dozens of other locations - not the least of which is Disneyland. It is very unfortunate that a World-Class event is being held in a sub-par venue. Worlds deserves better, IMO. For less money than is flowing into Mouse-Ear's hands, all of the logistical problems (transporation, travel, etc.) could be easily handled by any number of other locations. The Milk House does not deserve Worlds. Worlds does not deserve the Milk House.

I would be happy if each event producer would only hold one nationals. Many do it (eg Cheersport, UCA, NCA), but others (Jamfest especially) are ridiculous. I love a lot of what Jamfest does, but seriously?

I have no problem with someone being the Cheersport National champion and someone else being the NCA National champion.

ACEDAD said:
I would be happy if each event producer would only hold one nationals. Many do it (eg Cheersport, UCA, NCA), but others (Jamfest especially) are ridiculous. I love a lot of what Jamfest does, but seriously?

I have no problem with someone being the Cheersport National champion and someone else being the NCA National champion.

I agree with this. Each company has their own nationals. Makes sense.

I know it's tough to convince the event producers, they make lots of money. I would hope that with representation on the USASF board they can get buy-in by acknowledging it's for the good of the sport and more importantly. . .for the athletes. In the long run, as it was pointed out, if the sport succeeds, the event producers will as well.

I don't think less people will go to an event if it is called a "Nationals" or not, parents want to see their child compete to see all the hard work. Gyms will still be happy to take home the trophy from the "Midwest Halloween Classic" or whatever new competition name you can think of.

BlueCat said:
I don't believe that DisneyWorld is the only place in the entire US that can accommodate the event. The performance venues are simply dreadful in comparison to dozens of other locations - not the least of which is Disneyland. It is very unfortunate that a World-Class event is being held in a sub-par venue. Worlds deserves better, IMO. For less money than is flowing into Mouse-Ear's hands, all of the logistical problems (transporation, travel, etc.) could be easily handled by any number of other locations. The Milk House does not deserve Worlds. Worlds does not deserve the Milk House.

I TOTALLLLY AGREE!

BlueCat said:

True, it is not everyone's favorite venue. There are many other other venue's that I love to visit every year. However, name me one other venue that can handle that event at that time of year??? Dont forget.. you're talking about over 100 international teams that are flying in, some for up to a week. Plus the other 400+ national teams that are flying in. All of which will need transportation and lodging for 3-7 days.

The Dallas Convention Center and Georgia World Congress Center already host two of the largest events of the year, but are no way capable of handling the additional logistics of transportation and the influx of international teams.

(Jeopardy theme song plays along...)

McLovin said:

I couldn't agree more ;)

:rays:

Back