One Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

KB_Legend said:
McLovin said:
There's no reason the National Event couldn't be moved from location to location each year. Just like gymnastics and figure skating move their nationals to different cities year after year. And as far as traveling costs are concerned, I would imagine most parents would be willing to fork out the money to attend "nationals" if it was truly a national and the only one of it's kind. It's more prestigious if it's one of a kind and being a parent, I would be more inclined to fork out the money for the trip knowing it was such.

I couldn't agree more ;)

:rays:

Like Button

Kingston said:
KB_Legend said:
McLovin said:
There's no reason the National Event couldn't be moved from location to location each year. Just like gymnastics and figure skating move their nationals to different cities year after year. And as far as traveling costs are concerned, I would imagine most parents would be willing to fork out the money to attend "nationals" if it was truly a national and the only one of it's kind. It's more prestigious if it's one of a kind and being a parent, I would be more inclined to fork out the money for the trip knowing it was such.

I couldn't agree more ;)

:rays:

Like Button

Double like. I think this is appropriate.
All in favor?
7341577b.gif

ACEDAD said:
I would be happy if each event producer would only hold one nationals. Many do it (eg Cheersport, UCA, NCA), but others (Jamfest especially) are ridiculous. I love a lot of what Jamfest does, but seriously?

I have no problem with someone being the Cheersport National champion and someone else being the NCA National champion.

I agree with this as well. Athletic Championships is another good example of this. Every competition they have is a National, yet it is typical to only see 3-4 states represented at these events.

I guess I always find it funny to see National champs when you have not even competed against someone in your division.

I am all for one National, my husband (the non cheer guy) always makes fun of national champs because of that.

Inspired said:
I guess I always find it funny to see National champs when you have not even competed against someone in your division.

I am all for one National, my husband (the non cheer guy) always makes fun of national champs because of that.

I have had to explain to (wide-eyed, jaws-on-the-floor) people after they see my daughter in a "National Champion" hoodie and are going crazy over her that it is really not a true National. Quite frankly it's embarrassing. I never have a good answer for these people who ask me why they call it a National. Sure, I could lie....but it's not in my nature to make something bigger than it really is to look good.

Level5Mom said:
Inspired said:

I have had to explain to (wide-eyed, jaws-on-the-floor) people after they see my daughter in a "National Champion" hoodie and are going crazy over her that it is really not a true National. Quite frankly it's embarrassing. I never have a good answer for these people who ask me why they call it a National. Sure, I could lie....but it's not in my nature to make something bigger than it really is to look good.

That is too funny as a mom, coach and now soon to be owner I am the same way!

Level5Mom said:
Inspired said:

I literally LOL-ed at this! I don't think it would be too difficult to have National requirements - say.. 500 teams enter a competition. A certain % of the states would need to be represented to have it be declared a national. A regional would be a lower percentage variability and etc. I think that having Cheersport Nationals and NCA Nationals, etc is no biggie. They are huge competitions with hundreds and hundreds of teams but when you get to the Hillbilly Podunk Nationals that has only 20 gyms represented and 15 are from the same state it gets kind of ridiculous ;)

Having been an "event producer", competitions are a lot more expensive to than you think if you want to do it right. People in the cheer world know what events are "real" and which are not. I can say I was grand champion all I want but if my team is the only one in the division, than really??? Listen, you have your National for Level 5/6 - its Worlds. And for the other levels, I would have to say its the US Finals now that Jam is in there. All Levels was an effort to jump on the money bandwagon when they saw how many teams wanted to attend a true National.

By the way, say you restrict companies from calling their events Nationals by requiring them to have a certain number of teams, well then, you may find your cost of attending the NATIONALS going way up due to the fact that those companies will now have a monopoly.

All I Want Is Cheer said:
True, it is not everyone's favorite venue. There are many other other venue's that I love to visit every year. However, name me one other venue that can handle that event at that time of year??? Dont forget.. you're talking about over 100 international teams that are flying in, some for up to a week. Plus the other 400+ national teams that are flying in. All of which will need transportation and lodging for 3-7 days.

The Dallas Convention Center and Georgia World Congress Center already host two of the largest events of the year, but are no way capable of handling the additional logistics of transportation and the influx of international teams.

(Jeopardy theme song plays along...)

Dallas and Atlanta could easily handle the event. Both have major international airports and have held events like the Superbowl, major conference basketball tournaments and Atlanta had the Olympics.

Other cities that could host include New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, and Washington DC off the top of my head.

ohkcheery said:
I literally LOL-ed at this! I don't think it would be too difficult to have National requirements - say.. 500 teams enter a competition. A certain % of the states would need to be represented to have it be declared a national. A regional would be a lower percentage variability and etc. I think that having Cheersport Nationals and NCA Nationals, etc is no biggie. They are huge competitions with hundreds and hundreds of teams but when you get to the Hillbilly Podunk Nationals that has only 20 gyms represented and 15 are from the same state it gets kind of ridiculous ;)

There aren't many events with 500 teams. Cheersport, NCA, JAMfest Super Nationals, and US Finals Virginia Beach are the only ones I can think of that have broken 500 in the past few years.

Andre said:
There aren't many events with 500 teams. Cheersport, NCA, JAMfest Super Nationals, and US Finals Virginia Beach are the only ones I can think of that have broken 500 in the past few years.

500 was a random number.. it could be any number. 50, 100, 200, whatever the total number of teams ends up being.
And a monopoly? I don't think so.. as if cheer isn't moving in that direction already, the only way that competition would be monopolized if the scales were something unattainable. Each competition company could have their own "National". The cost would not have to increase, especially if the number of teams is a high number (which for a Nationals, it should be and if there were TRUE nationals, I'd bet that the attendees would be even higher) or if the venue and competition stay the same. If you say Grand Champion or National Champion doesn't matter because those in the cheer industry know otherwise, why bother doing it in the first place?

BlueCat you wrote your opinion as to where it SHOULDN'T be but you did not name ONE VENUE as to where u think it SHOULD be and be as successful as it has been at DisneyWorld. And believe me my idea of a good time is not a Theme Park covered in blacktop when temps are in the 80's.

perfectcheermom said:
BlueCat you wrote your opinion as to where it SHOULDN'T be but you did not name ONE VENUE as to where u think it SHOULD be and be as successful as it has been at DisneyWorld. And believe me my idea of a good time is not a Theme Park covered in blacktop when temps are in the 80's.

I think he's said Dallas on one of the other threads.

Back