High School Parents Not Approving

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
Hi

My mom don't want me to do cheer because she thinks I'm the G word (which I'm not) she's making me pay for everything. How do I persuade her to let me be a cheerleader?
-thanks!

Unfortunately, there are biases surrounding most sports and it sounds like your mother has one against cheer. Have you tried to calmly talk with her, explaining why you want to cheer? List all of the positive qualities of being a part of the team and all of the great things that you think you can bring to the team. Are there other boys involved in cheer in your town? If so, you may want to calmly point out that you wouldn't be the only one. You may want to show her some of the college co-ed teams game day videos that may be on Youtube. Chances are, cheer has drastically changed since she was in school and she may have preconceived ideas that are just wrong.
As for paying for it, tell her that you know it's expensive and ask if there is any way you can work off the cost since you are too young to have a "real" job. Good luck!

Unfortunately, there are biases surrounding most sports and it sounds like your mother has one against cheer. Have you tried to calmly talk with her, explaining why you want to cheer? List all of the positive qualities of being a part of the team and all of the great things that you think you can bring to the team. Are there other boys involved in cheer in your town? If so, you may want to calmly point out that you wouldn't be the only one. You may want to show her some of the college co-ed teams game day videos that may be on Youtube. Chances are, cheer has drastically changed since she was in school and she may have preconceived ideas that are just wrong.
As for paying for it, tell her that you know it's expensive and ask if there is any way you can work off the cost since you are too young to have a "real" job. Good luck!
Thanks so much! I did tell her I always wanted to be a cheerleader and there is a male cheerleader at a different high school.

I know that if my child cane to me and said "I've always wanted to X" but couldn't tell me why, I'd probably not change my mind. Think of specific reasons WHY.

It's combined of everything I love. Dancing, yelling, clapping, awesome stunts and tumbling. I love cheering on the team from the stands so I want to join a group of people who actually does that. I also want to let people be able to trust me when we are stunting and excitement when the squad master a cheer. I want to tell my mom but she won't listen probably. You guys probably know what I mean but I don't know how to say it.

It's combined of everything I love. Dancing, yelling, clapping, awesome stunts and tumbling. I love cheering on the team from the stands so I want to join a group of people who actually does that. I also want to let people be able to trust me when we are stunting and excitement when the squad master a cheer. I want to tell my mom but she won't listen probably. You guys probably know what I mean but I don't know how to say it.
You said it perfectly! Don't assume that she won't listen. You may have to have the conversation a few times, but if you can stay calm I bet she will listen.

You said it perfectly! Don't assume that she won't listen. You may have to have the conversation a few times, but if you can stay calm I bet she will listen.
My mom knows if I really want to do something I will keep bugging her about it.

In the university where I'm leaving we have gone from no boys to 5-6 boys all are straight and they do it to help them be better at football and one does it as he is a gymnast and there is no gym club.

If it helps my pArents didn't want me doing it but when I spoke to them about the different aspects and when I was home they saw how much I trained and now they are supportive

In the university where I'm leaving we have gone from no boys to 5-6 boys all are straight and they do it to help them be better at football and one does it as he is a gymnast and there is no gym club.

If it helps my pArents didn't want me doing it but when I spoke to them about the different aspects and when I was home they saw how much I trained and now they are supportive
I didn't know that I could do football and cheer at the same time.

Back