All-Star Poof/bump/pouf Tutorial

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2011
I've come across a lot of posts where people have been saying they can't do a good poof/bump/pouf and I thought I'd ask the experts.

So, how do you get yours so fierce?

1. blow dry the hair, pull it straight up in the air with a paddle brush and mist it with a light hair spray 2. Since my hair is naturally straight, I spray it was dry shampoo to give it some texture 3. I section the top piece of my hair from the hairline right above the temples, back about 2 inches. 4. I tied back the rest of my hair out of the way 5. in small layered sections I spray my roots heavily with hair spray and tease using a teasing brush. 6. then I use a teasing comb on the whole section to push it down more and smooth the top 7. I pull the hair back tight, twist once, push forward, and secure with pins right on top of where the "part" at the back of the pouf section is.

No teasing required poof:
Straighten hair, or at least the piece you want to poof. Part out 3 inches of hair across the front (forehead) and go back about 2 inches. When you look at the base of this piece of hair it should be a rectangle. (At this point if you are putting the rest of the hair in a ponytail, you should do that now. If you wait and brush the tail of the finished poof into a pony it will go flat. Clip it out of the way or have the person hold it) Brush the hair back and put a small elastic about three inches down. Lay the hair down flat, and push it forward by the pony tail. Secure with clips. I could probably make a video of this is you'd like. Plus I'm sure there are dozens on youtube

The best poofs are not that complicated. Start with your hair all the way down. Tease and spray a little in the front behind the bangs. Grab a chunk, not just bangs or it will be a translucent poof, push it forward and use bobby pins to clip it. Thats it!

According to @Mamarazzi you need to be born in Texas to have a good poof ;) lol

I usually get my section of hair tease a little bit so it doesn't end up like a rat's nest, smooth it down so there isn't any lumps/bumps, then I tie it probably a couple inches down from the roots with a clear or a black elastic (the small ones), then lay it flat on my head, slide the part where i tied it, toward the roots (if that makes sense, slide it forward) get it a size that i like it, make sure it doesn't split from where i usually part my hair, then secure it with alot of bobby pins and then spray! Hope i helped! I know someone has posted a good poof tutorial on the boards i just cant find it but look on youtube!

my hair is very straight, silky, and long, so this method works if your hair doesnt hold styles very well.

1. take the section of your hair you want to be in the poof, and flip it forward over your face, and spray the roots
2. flip it back over, and run a brush through it, to smooth it out
3. pinch the hair (you can also add a twist, but it makes mine uneven, though it works for others), and scoot it forwards to create the poof. (the further back your pinch, the larger it will be and vice versa)
4. use TONS of bobby pins. i normally use around 10 to make sure its secrure when i tumble
5. HAIRSPRAYYYYYYYYYY

Also, when i put my hair in the ponytail, i lay on my back on my bed, with my head hanging off the edge. I have someone push my poof forward (or do it myself), then put the rubberbands around my ponytail.
this way, i have a high and perky pony tail, but my poof does not get pulled flat when im doing my ponytail.
^^ it sounds a little weird, but ive been told i have the fiercest poof/ponytail combination in the gym!

Also, when i put my hair in the ponytail, i lay on my back on my bed, with my head hanging off the edge. I have someone push my poof forward (or do it myself), then put the rubberbands around my ponytail.this way, i have a high and perky pony tail, but my poof does not get pulled flat when im doing my ponytail.
^^ it sounds a little weird, but ive been told i have the fiercest poof/ponytail combination in the gym!
Interesting! I'll have to try it sometime! :)

I just straighten my hair, then spray the part I want poofed with a bit of hairspray, then a take a little comb and tease the heck out of it. Then I brush the front out a bit, hairspray it again and pin in back :)

wow all your directions are so complicated. i pull my hair into a tight ponytail then i run my hand into my hair, close my fingers and gently pull out a poof. i'll have top post a video.

Have any of you used the Foam Hair Bump Shaper? I saw these in Ulta and wondered if they would work for cheer?

bump.jpg

Back