All-Star Positives And Negatives Of 2011 Worlds (the Event, Not Teams)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

People complained about the cost this year. That included just about all entertainment in all 4 parks, hotel, pools, all transportaiton etc. Can you imagine the cost if they have to contract out buses to/from airport, to/from entertainment, to/from hotels, etc. etc.? Have you seen the prices of hotels during NCA in Dallas?

In other words, some people will complain no matter where they are told to show up for Worlds. It is inevitable - and, I have been to Worlds, and what I saw what everyone received for their big spend, I was nowhere near impressed. The hotel was run down, dirty and terrible beds. There is no one who can say if it would be any more expensive to go to another city. And, there is nothing wrong with considering other locations like someone else suggested. Reducing the bids would be reducing the exposure, in my opinion.

I will argue against having Worlds anywhere but a large theme park like Disney. It is a family enviroment where people can ultimately feel pretty damn safe. You got to see the uproar over the dancing at the block party the past few years, can you imagine what would happen if worlds was in NYC or Vegas? Granted the Milkhouse isn't big enough for everyone, but they do have 2 decent size places to compete. I think if they rethink the scheduling a little bit then maybe things would work out better. I was actually thinking that maybe if they did the Prelims and Worlds Trials back at Indiana Jones and spaced the schedule out at the Milkhouse and Jostens then it may flow better at least one day. I know the problem with that is you had to pay to get into Indiana Jones so I'm not sure how to work that out, but if there is a way then that could be a semi good solution. Maybe if you purchase a ticket for worlds then you get admission to the Holloywood Studios, but then again people may sneak into the park that way. I don't know just a thought. But I am against changing the venue to somewhere that isn't a safe family enviroment like Disney or a large theme park like Disney.

I understand where you are coming from, but Worlds is no different than any other competition when it comes to location [conceptually]. Do you go to CheerSport Atlanta? Have you gone to COA competitions in Las Vegas? Technically, it is no different, except they are just not the Worlds competition.

I think it is different though because of all the International teams coming to compete. A lot of them use worlds not only as a competition but also a vacation because the cost to get over here is so high. If you send them to Atlanta they are paying out the butt to get here and then left with what to do? You send them to Vegas and sure there are things to do but that in the end is going to end up costing out the butt as well.

I noticed that alot of the international teams DID NOT have families with them, obviously because of the cost, I'm sure. I never knew how many internationals where at Worlds until I saw it with my own eyes this weekend. You can't judge Worlds by what you see, or the magnitude of teams, in the 1 hour special episode they put together for ESPN every year. The international population of teams was HUGE. And they looked like they enjoyed every bit of being at Disney.

I think it is different though because of all the International teams coming to compete. A lot of them use worlds not only as a competition but also a vacation because the cost to get over here is so high. If you send them to Atlanta they are paying out the butt to get here and then left with what to do? You send them to Vegas and sure there are things to do but that in the end is going to end up costing out the butt as well.

It would be interesting to know if that is why it is being held at Disney. In general, the teams coming from around the World, I personally believe, would love to see other parts of this beautiful country. It is very expensive no matter how we cut and slice it - and I am sure that USASF can negotiate volume deals with hotels, etc. in other cities.

I noticed that alot of the international teams DID NOT have families with them, obviously because of the cost, I'm sure. I never knew how many internationals where at Worlds until I saw it with my own eyes this weekend. You can't judge Worlds by what you see, or the magnitude of teams, in the 1 hour special episode they put together for ESPN every year. The international population of teams was HUGE. And they looked like they enjoyed every bit of being at Disney.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't personally Rely on observations from ESPN. In fact, I don't watch it all over on ESPN since I have either been there in person or seen it on VOD. Why not show these International teams other parts of the US? I am hard pressed to think that the International teams are showing up because they are staying at Disney - I believe they come because they want to show their skills and teams' accomplishments. Why not give other parts of the US the opportunity to earn the revenue that this competition brings?

I feel you take Worlds out of Disney, which is in with ESPN then there goes more negotiating that has to be done. I think if the USASF worked out a deal with hotels they would probably need to sign a contract like they did with Disney and be locked in for so many years.

Notice NCA events aren't at Disney and they are broadcast on FSN not ESPN, I feel Worlds would be the same.

Disney gets what Disney wants. Plain & simple. Worlds will be there for eternity.

I think if we open it up to different cities each year two things will happen: 1. It will cost more for them to plan it. Same location each year, means many things are just redone. New locations means ep's have to re-plan EVERYTHING in an unknown city a year to two in advance. and 2. If cities change, it will only be a matter of time before international cities are given a chance. I couldn't imagine the complaints from US teams if Worlds were held in London or Tokyo. I don't understand why people complain so much about Disney. If it bothers you that much then don't go!

I respectfully disagree. Think of the Olympics, but on a smaller scale. Maybe USASF should consider mixing it up and have it in a new major city every year - they can coordinate hotels, shuttles to the venue(s) from each hotel, and so forth. How many really cares about going to Disney World considering they are Seniors? I am not saying it isn't fun, but if they didn't have Disney, they would find fun in any other city. Does USASF/Varsity have a deal with Disney that keeps the Worlds there? After all, what great "secured" revenue it is for Disney to have Worlds every year, and the cheer families are forced in to it because the decision is made for that location year after year.

I don't think the Olympics is really comparable, considering the HUGE amount of international resources available to the Olympics.

All of the things that come along with Disney are taken advantage of and probably wouldn't be consciously missed until they were gone. Think free transportation to venues, transportation to airports, a TON of activities during the day, the option of having a vacation (if you choose to make it that, kill two birds with one stone), awesome practice area at All-Star Sports, great family and kid-friendly area, a generally safe area, the fact that everyone is pretty much in the same hotel (this happens at NO other competition)...all in all, Disney offers a lot that you just can't find many other places.

I actually would think that having Worlds at Disney is a pretty attractive thing to international teams, but obviously have no first-hand experience with that.

from an "international" persons POV coming to worlds was also my holiday because it cost me a FORTUNE!!! I coach and alot of my kids have never been out of Europe, their ultimate cheer goal is to go to disney! Thats how they refer to it, not as worlds but they will get to compete in disney. Although I am older and not interested in Mickey Mouse etc it was a great experience to fly over have a bit of a holiday and then move into disney with all the teams staying there (like an olympic village idea) , I (and my mum) loved the whole package!

I don't think the Olympics is really comparable, considering the HUGE amount of international resources available to the Olympics.

All of the things that come along with Disney are taken advantage of and probably wouldn't be consciously missed until they were gone. Think free transportation to venues, transportation to airports, a TON of activities during the day, the option of having a vacation (if you choose to make it that, kill two birds with one stone), awesome practice area at All-Star Sports, great family and kid-friendly area, a generally safe area, the fact that everyone is pretty much in the same hotel (this happens at NO other competition)...all in all, Disney offers a lot that you just can't find many other places.

I actually would think that having Worlds at Disney is a pretty attractive thing to international teams, but obviously have no first-hand experience with that.

None of it is free, unless the team received a Full Paid bid. The transportation inside Disney is not really free - it is all calculated in to their bottom line and I believe it is all about perception versus reality in terms of cost. When I said Olympics I made sure to mention that it would be on a smaller scale [obviously it is]. Having said that, teams may be in the same hotel, but gyms do the same at other large competitions, and other large competitions have practice areas. If someone wants to make a vacation out of it, they can do it at any other well thought out location.

I guess my personal view on it is just that being in the same location year after year could be made more exciting by mixing it up. The planners of Worlds would be responsible for making it work at any other location, so I am sure it would be just as great as so many think it is now. But, with larger venues and different sites for those who look for a vacation at the same time.

I think if we open it up to different cities each year two things will happen: 1. It will cost more for them to plan it. Same location each year, means many things are just redone. New locations means ep's have to re-plan EVERYTHING in an unknown city a year to two in advance. and 2. If cities change, it will only be a matter of time before international cities are given a chance. I couldn't imagine the complaints from US teams if Worlds were held in London or Tokyo. I don't understand why people complain so much about Disney. If it bothers you that much then don't go!

That is actually not a bad idea - why not have it at an International location at some point? After all, it is a World's competition, right?

No, but here is the thing. In order to have a World's championship, it has to be worth it for the international competitors to go. They are spending WAY more than any of us to get to this competition. Sure, they will go if it is at Disney- that's a major added bonus. But how likely is it that they would want to go to Boston, or Indianapolis? The Disney part is a major draw to get the international competitors in there, and that is what they want.

Back