All-Star Positives And Negatives Of 2011 Worlds (the Event, Not Teams)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 20, 2010
Things the staff did pretty well:
-Crowd control. They learned after the first half of Saturday that they needed to do something and fast. I felt like it was more controlled this year.
-Scoring. I know this will be debatable with anyone, but I wasn't surprised with placements. It seemed pretty fair overall to me. However, I'm not a judge, nor do I cheer on a team that felt unfairly scored.

Things that need to change:
-Location: Wow! Worlds has outgrown Disney's Wide World of Sports! We need to have this event at an arena or something!!
-Date: I honestly think it's too late. Early April would be best (yes, I know competitions are still going on then, but I feel like that needs to change too). These athletes are trying to improve nonstop from May-April. That's too long.

There are lots more, but this is what's mainly on my mind. Love to hear other people's perceptions on what they thought of the event! :)

Dear worlds staff what you do to one side of the crowd you must do to the other. Don't single out the fierceboard section!

Worlds doesn't need so many teams there needs to be a limited number a bids given out and we need a new location.

And on a positive note the clothes were all so cute this year

i felt the crowd control was really bad at the milk today., we're lucky the fire marshall didnt shut it down, sat night the crowds got way too rowdy. no accomodations for disabled people to find seating. didnt like the prelim, semis on same day way too long of a day for athletes and the crowd, tempers were flaring

loved all the amazing talent

You can't have Worlds anywhere besides Disney. There are so many different teams competing including special needs and MANY international teams that do not speak or understand English.

Disney is the only place that can handle these teams comfortably, whether it be a need for a bus that can handle a wheelchair or take 3 non-english speaking teammates back to their hotel.

If you want to see your team and NOT stand outside looking at the jumbotron or be in the corner rafters, then get to the HP Fieldhouse EARLY in the morning for prelims or at 7 a.m. on Finals. Disney started running busses on Sunday at 6 a.m.

You snooze, you lose. Don't blame Disney.

You can't have Worlds anywhere besides Disney. There are so many different teams competing including special needs and MANY international teams that do not speak or understand English.

Disney is the only place that can handle these teams comfortably, whether it be a need for a bus that can handle a wheelchair or take 3 non-english speaking teammates back to their hotel.

If you want to see your team and NOT stand outside looking at the jumbotron or be in the corner rafters, then get to the HP Fieldhouse EARLY in the morning for prelims or at 7 a.m. on Finals. Disney started running busses on Sunday at 6 a.m.

Disney is not the only place with public transportation, that is wheel chair accessible, or can handle non-english speaking people. MANY othet sports have world type competitions held in the USA, all across our country, disney is not the only place where competition between anyone gets done.

Disney is not the only place with public transportation, that is wheel chair accessible, or can handle non-english speaking people. MANY othet sports have world type competitions held in the USA, all across our country, disney is not the only place where competition between anyone gets done.

Really? And family entertainment and shopping in a reality safe crime-free area that will transport thousands of people for free to and from ?

I respectfully disagree. Think of the Olympics, but on a smaller scale. Maybe USASF should consider mixing it up and have it in a new major city every year - they can coordinate hotels, shuttles to the venue(s) from each hotel, and so forth. How many really cares about going to Disney World considering they are Seniors? I am not saying it isn't fun, but if they didn't have Disney, they would find fun in any other city. Does USASF/Varsity have a deal with Disney that keeps the Worlds there? After all, what great "secured" revenue it is for Disney to have Worlds every year, and the cheer families are forced in to it because the decision is made for that location year after year.

I respectfully disagree. Think of the Olympics, but on a smaller scale. Maybe USASF should consider mixing it up and have it in a new major city every year - they can coordinate hotels, shuttles to the venue(s) from each hotel, and so forth. How many really cares about going to Disney World considering they are Seniors? I am not saying it isn't fun, but if they didn't have Disney, they would find fun in any other city. Does USASF/Varsity have a deal with Disney that keeps the Worlds there? After all, what great "secured" revenue it is for Disney to have Worlds every year, and the cheer families are forced in to it because the decision is made for that location year after year.

You can't have a bunch of under 18 year olds in an unfamiliar city. Please. It's not about the transportation it's about the activities outside of that, something to do other than go to the fieldhouse. What is there to do in Dallas for kids, especially the MANY international ones?

Beleive me, I'm not a Disney freak, so to speak. I was at Worlds, traveled all the way from NJ but didn't step foot in any of the parks (except Downtown Disney).

Perhaps in order to REDUCE the crowd, they should reduce the number of bids.

People complained about the cost this year. That included just about all entertainment in all 4 parks, hotel, pools, all transportaiton etc. Can you imagine the cost if they have to contract out buses to/from airport, to/from entertainment, to/from hotels, etc. etc.? Have you seen the prices of hotels during NCA in Dallas?

I will argue against having Worlds anywhere but a large theme park like Disney. It is a family enviroment where people can ultimately feel pretty damn safe. You got to see the uproar over the dancing at the block party the past few years, can you imagine what would happen if worlds was in NYC or Vegas? Granted the Milkhouse isn't big enough for everyone, but they do have 2 decent size places to compete. I think if they rethink the scheduling a little bit then maybe things would work out better. I was actually thinking that maybe if they did the Prelims and Worlds Trials back at Indiana Jones and spaced the schedule out at the Milkhouse and Jostens then it may flow better at least one day. I know the problem with that is you had to pay to get into Indiana Jones so I'm not sure how to work that out, but if there is a way then that could be a semi good solution. Maybe if you purchase a ticket for worlds then you get admission to the Holloywood Studios, but then again people may sneak into the park that way. I don't know just a thought. But I am against changing the venue to somewhere that isn't a safe family enviroment like Disney or a large theme park like Disney.

You can't have a bunch of under 18 year olds in an unfamiliar city. Please. It's not about the transportation it's about the activities outside of that, something to do other than go to the fieldhouse. What is there to do in Dallas for kids, especially the MANY international ones?

Beleive me, I'm not a Disney freak, so to speak. I was at Worlds, traveled all the way from NJ but didn't step foot in any of the parks (except Downtown Disney).

Perhaps in order to REDUCE the crowd, they should reduce the number of bids.

Disney is a "city" in itself and is no safer for anyone under 18 year old than another city. If a minor is under 18 at Disney, and parents allow them to run around, again, it is no safer with thousands of strangers around. I think the name Disney [because it is a "family" brand is thought of as providing safety and tons of entertainment.

Look at Cheersport Atlanta at the Georgia World Congress Center - a cheerleading competition that out performs the SEC football championship game in terms of revenue [also held in Atlanta], and you have thousands of athletes not only under 18, but all the way down to Mini age. They do just fine for 3-4 days with hotels, entertainment, and transportation.

Back