All-Star Positives And Negatives Of 2011 Worlds (the Event, Not Teams)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think having Worlds at a different city/state would definitely give competitive cheerleading much more exposure.

Imagine if they held Worlds in NYC, and you were riding the subway with a whole bunch of all-star cheerleaders. Your definitely going to wonder what the hell is going on.

No, but here is the thing. In order to have a World's championship, it has to be worth it for the international competitors to go. They are spending WAY more than any of us to get to this competition. Sure, they will go if it is at Disney- that's a major added bonus. But how likely is it that they would want to go to Boston, or Indianapolis? The Disney part is a major draw to get the international competitors in there, and that is what they want.

I do see your point. However, I will tell you, being that I was born and raised in Europe, and for most who are overseas just going to America is a wonderful and huge deal [no matter where].

That is actually not a bad idea - why not have it at an International location at some point? After all, it is a World's competition, right?

Hate to keep going back and forth with you here b/c I definitely think you're making valid points!

At this point I don't think there is enough international representation for the competition to travel overseas. Considering how heavy US representation is, it makes the most sense to have it here.

Definitely know what you mean about the bottom line cost - and was actually thinking about it as I was typing - but I think people feel more at ease thinking of it as "free" and not having to worry about $$ every time they needed to get somewhere. Whether or not that's a huge factor is debatable, but something to note.

Also on the hotel thing: yeah, gyms stay together, but I imagine being there athletes surrounding you on all sides is really something else. I've competed at UCA and know that, even there, the All-Star Resorts feel pretty magical with so many teams around. I imagine Worlds would be even better. Having everyone out practicing around the hotel grounds seems very different than having teams inside an arena. Seems more of an every-weekend thing than an event, you know?

I think there are very few cities that have the appeal that Disney does. Disney is an internationally recognized attraction with an unbelievable amount of things to do. I imagine there are very few places that both attract international tourists and are a practical place for thousands of underage kids.

I do think at some point that Worlds will have to re-locate, but as of now, I think they've got a pretty good thing going on at Disney.

You all can argue this until you are blue in the face, but the fact is..it will continue to be at Disney for the next few years. It will probably extend beyond that, until someone else can come up with the logistics to accomodate so many people on the same property.

I hope it stays there until my daughter is old enough to compete! She can't wait!!!

Hate to keep going back and forth with you here b/c I definitely think you're making valid points!

At this point I don't think there is enough international representation for the competition to travel overseas. Considering how heavy US representation is, it makes the most sense to have it here.

Definitely know what you mean about the bottom line cost - and was actually thinking about it as I was typing - but I think people feel more at ease thinking of it as "free" and not having to worry about $$ every time they needed to get somewhere. Whether or not that's a huge factor is debatable, but something to note.

Also on the hotel thing: yeah, gyms stay together, but I imagine being there athletes surrounding you on all sides is really something else. I've competed at UCA and know that, even there, the All-Star Resorts feel pretty magical with so many teams around. I imagine Worlds would be even better. Having everyone out practicing around the hotel grounds seems very different than having teams inside an arena. Seems more of an every-weekend thing than an event, you know?

I think there are very few cities that have the appeal that Disney does. Disney is an internationally recognized attraction with an unbelievable amount of things to do. I imagine there are very few places that both attract international tourists and are a practical place for thousands of underage kids.

I do think at some point that Worlds will have to re-locate, but as of now, I think they've got a pretty good thing going on at Disney.

I have enjoyed your Replies, and I think going back and forth is the only way to have a productive and multi-angle approach to ideas and thoughts on subjects. It is all about ideas, thinking outside the box and weighing the pros and cons. I appreciate your point of view.

The date this year was awful. It fell during the time that a lot of college kids have finals. I had one this morning so I was unable to attend :/

However, no one can control when easter falls. Hopefully next year will be better & I can go see alllll my friends!

Wait, what happened with the fierce board section????
At times we got a little rowdy, especially during Large Senior, the big fans sat on the edge of the bleachers/green. Day one they didnt give me/us a problem, but day two, they wouldnt let us pass this yellow line because of the espn taping. People past the yellow line on the other side of the arena were okay though:rolleyes:

At times we got a little rowdy, especially during Large Senior, the big fans sat on the edge of the bleachers/green. Day one they didnt give me/us a problem, but day two, they wouldnt let us pass this yellow line because of the espn taping. People past the yellow line on the other side of the arena were okay though:rolleyes:

Utterly unacceptable. Im just gonna have to have a talk with them next year. ;)

The event is just a good bit larger than the Milkhouse. Jostens has a lot more space and flow for crowd control, but does not offer any of the pomp and circumstance of the Milkhouse.

I talked to a couple of the crowd control people and they said it was the worst event they had ever worked. It was over crowded and no one wanted to move because they all wanted to see. Everyone ignored their the crowd control people as they asked fans to move. Just would blatantly not move, and I can't say I blame the fans. Can't have a 10,000 person seating event and 15,000 people come and not expect problems. The TV's outside were to help, but no one watched those. They asked in the name of sportsmanship for all the families to move that had already had their kids compete to go outside, but the issue is there is a TON of people there JUST to watch cheer with no families. I think they underestimate the fanbase there that has no familial connection to people competing. There are legitimate fans there.

The event is just a good bit larger than the Milkhouse. Jostens has a lot more space and flow for crowd control, but does not offer any of the pomp and circumstance of the Milkhouse.

I talked to a couple of the crowd control people and they said it was the worst event they had ever worked. It was over crowded and no one wanted to move because they all wanted to see. Everyone ignored their the crowd control people as they asked fans to move. Just would blatantly not move, and I can't say I blame the fans. Can't have a 10,000 person seating event and 15,000 people come and not expect problems. The TV's outside were to help, but no one watched those. They asked in the name of sportsmanship for all the families to move that had already had their kids compete to go outside, but the issue is there is a TON of people there JUST to watch cheer with no families. I think they underestimate the fanbase there that has no familial connection to people competing. There are legitimate fans there.

And this is the issue - if cheer really wants to grow beyond the "close friends and family" crowd, they have to be able to handle these kinds of situations. As great as Disney might be from a logistical and convenience standpoint, maybe it's time to look at a major arena for Worlds. I don't buy the argument that it can't be done or that Orlando is the only place this event can be held.

You could hold this event in most major U.S. cities with 18-20,000 seat arenas and make it work without a hitch. I'm positive of that. If I had to guess, there's a financial incentive for the USASF to stay at Disney that probably overrides these other concerns. But that would only be a guess.

Back