All-Star Prepping For The Cheerpocalypse: What Will We Do When Shtf?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Based on numerous discussions with coaches across this country,listening to parents weighing in their opinions and generally observing the direction of this industry, many are convinced that the All Star Cheer bubble is going to burst. There is no way to continually out price clients in order to give "more and more show." This is not a long term sustainable model IMO.

Whenever it bursts, typically executives at the high levels are taken care of. They will get their parachutes and bonuses. It is the low men and women on the totem pole that suffer. The everyday worker that is often the most ardent supporter. It will be the coaches that have thrown all in, that may no longer have a gym to call their own,or a team to coach. It will the choreographer that has only hollered 5,6,7,8 for a living that will be out of a job and perhaps a career.

It will be a major event, no matter if it is sudden or is the proverbial frog in a pot of boiling water (which I believe is how it will be) There will be a major realignment and all star cheer as we know it will be radically altered or not exist. We are pricing too many families right out of the sport.

What are you doing now to sustain yourself? What are you doing to prepare yourself? What are you doing in the eventuality you can no longer do what you love in this sport/activity at the same level - not because of illness but because it no longer exists as you know it to be?

Oh yes.

There will come a time when the full travel competitive all star experience will no longer be accessible to most people, and multi- location programs who make most of their money on their full year travel teams will need to diversify a little.

I honestly think that if gyms want to stay full once the "gym bubble" bursts, they need to be diversifying and focusing more on their class programs (tumbling, jumps, etc.) and limited travel/half year experiences.

Last edited:
Ok, so you don't have to give your gym name if you don't want but I'm curious to know if gyms are only focusing on All-Stars or are branching out to other things?
This is what cp's gym does:
They work with 4 higschools (rent space to them on a weekly basis and hold clinics)

We do academy tumbling classes (they don't have anything to do with Allstars and most of the kids that take them are not on a team at the gym)

Offer dance classes (adult & Children)
Parent & me classes for preschoolers

Dance Teams

8TA movement classes and camps
I hope our gym survives the Cheerpocalypse[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so you don't have to give your gym name if you don't want but I'm curious to know if gyms are only focusing on All-Stars or are branching out to other things?
This is what cp's gym does:
They work with 4 higschools (rent space to them on a weekly basis and hold clinics)

We do academy tumbling classes (they don't have anything to do with Allstars and most of the kids that take them are not on a team at the gym)

Offer dance classes (adult & Children)
Parent & me classes for preschoolers

Dance Teams

8TA movement classes and camps
I hope our gym survives the Cheerpocalypse[emoji15]

Sounds like they'll have a good chance!

Last edited:
My question to all tumbling instructors: What proportion of your lessons/ class members are all-star versus school? Will tumbling instruction survive if the cheerpocalypse happens?

We are definitely not All Star dependent. That is intentional - partly based on our local demographic and partly due to the knowledge that the current All Star market model is unsustainable long term, Besides All Stars and prep we have:

Power Tumbling - much cheaper year round cost, lower block fees, cheaper uniforms, more competitions, true National Championship where you must qualify score and placement wise to get there. Plus cheer athletes that don't make the high level team they want can cross over and perform their tumbling skills in competition and contribute on the team they are the actual best fit on cheer wise.

Gymnastics - nothing high level yet, but a good foundation set of athletes from Level 1 up thru Excel hat eventually cheer school, do all stars or power tumbling. Compete locally to keep costs affordable.

Birthday parties - can run up to 6 parties in a weekend with minimal staffing.

Tumbling Classes - these stay full Last Spring we offered close to 60 different tumbling/gymnastics classes.

School teams -we currently have 11 school teams that come for tumbling/stunting or both.

Rec teams - we rent space to rec teams to work out and offer camps if requested. This could be a major market if we chose to push it.

Will we survive? I would say yes.

We are definitely not All Star dependent. That is intentional - partly based on our local demographic and partly due to the knowledge that the current All Star market model is unsustainable long term, Besides All Stars and prep we have:

Power Tumbling - much cheaper year round cost, lower block fees, cheaper uniforms, more competitions, true National Championship where you must qualify score and placement wise to get there. Plus cheer athletes that don't make the high level team they want can cross over and perform their tumbling skills in competition and contribute on the team they are the actual best fit on cheer wise.

Gymnastics - nothing high level yet, but a good foundation set of athletes from Level 1 up thru Excel hat eventually cheer school, do all stars or power tumbling. Compete locally to keep costs affordable.

Birthday parties - can run up to 6 parties in a weekend with minimal staffing.

Tumbling Classes - these stay full Last Spring we offered close to 60 different tumbling/gymnastics classes.

School teams -we currently have 11 school teams that come for tumbling/stunting or both.

Rec teams - we rent space to rec teams to work out and offer camps if requested. This could be a major market if we chose to push it.

Will we survive? I would say yes.

Never really heard of Power Tumbling in our area but it sounds Amazing!

Never really heard of Power Tumbling in our area but it sounds Amazing!

Being a gymnastic coach by training, I love it! I can emphasize technique all day long. Parents, kids or coaches do not rush me to just get the kid the skill because they are competing in a week and if they don't have it their team will lose or they will lose their spot. Plus I make it fun for them so they enjoy that as well.

That's one big thing I wish my cp would focus on more, technique! She seems in such a rush to gets skills but as a parent I worry that she is rushing and not focusing the right technique and will end up getting hurt [emoji30] I think the pressure of being on a team and have the skills gets to her, she doesn't seem to focus on the fact that some of her skills might be janky! I'm trying to keep my eyes and ears open to see if I can find a gymnastics coach to do some privates with her. @tumbleyoda

Latest posts

Back