All-Star Prepping For The Cheerpocalypse: What Will We Do When Shtf?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm pretty sure that Olympic gymnast Victoria Komonova sprained her ankle while just walking on a mat in the gym. All those crazy hard tumbling moves and it's walking that got her. I fractured my ankle doing a cartwheel in my room when I was 11, smacked it right on the window sill. So painful, so stupid.

See also: JUMPS!

I've seen kids roll ankles and such on just garden-variety toe touches. Not even fancy combos.

A girl at my gym landed a single toe touch with her legs straight and ended up having a piece of bone chip off of her knee cap. The swelling and injury saw her have surgery twice and on crutches for a probably a year, so anything can happen even with the simplest of skills.

Do poor technique or overtraining increase one's likelihood of rolling an ankle?

I don't think it is an either or but rather a combination of issues that contribute to the injury. Anatomy and genetics play a bigger part in certain injuries (especially knees and ankles) than we care to admit. Then you add to that poor training, overuse training, negligent instruction and now it is something to be on the look out for. This is without adding in the horseplay, slip and fall, tripped and what just happened kind of scenarios.

You cant safeguard from every injury situation but you should not ignore the obvious ones - JMO.

In CPs case...anatomy played the major roll. Silly loose ligaments. Her ortho did say that girls entering puberty seem to be far more susceptible to these types of injuries also (I guess hormones?)

Our ortho said the same. Relaxin, it peaks about 14 days before ovulation and it's the same hormone that is released in child birth to loosen up the joints and ligaments. And, estrogen tends to hinder the repair of soft tissue but, I don't remember how.

Back