All-Star Prepping For The Cheerpocalypse: What Will We Do When Shtf?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It was. Just a freak injury thing. Thankfully she is healed and back to full strength with no loss of skill or motivation.

That is awesome. CP was 3 when she broke her growth plate because she was jumping up and down on our hardwood floors. That was literally all she was doing---jump, jump, jump, jump, OUCH!, trys to jump and falls.

The people at the ER looked at us like "And..." as if she jumped on something or landed on something...nope. And weirdly enough, she had shoes on.

Does anyone have any updates on that girl at Worlds? I saw that video felt so bad people kept sharing it and turning it into vine like it was supposed to be funny. That injury was awful.

Which one? At last count, there was at least a dozen or so serious, serious injuries at World's this past year. Lots of knees blown out.

In the gymnastics center I used to run I had a girl break her arm doing cartwheels in warm up lines. In cheer I have seen a girl tear ACL, MCL, Meniscus doing a standing BHS while being spotted, another break an arm doing a Back Walkover down the wedge, and had a girl who could do double fulls and specialty passes thru to double fulls break a knee cap while only doing a ROBHS (she tried to stop herself when she heard the bell ring for someone getting a new skill and pop her knee went) Regardless to the skill level of the athlete it can happen. It does't always happen on the "dreaded double full that only big/mega gyms can teach properly" (sarcasm folks) which is another reason I say that report years ago was baloney.

Injury prevention is more than be qualified to teach. It is knowing how many reps an athlete can properly handle safely before their risk of injury is raised to unsafe levels. It is in monitoring the amount of hard landings an athlete performs in practice, tumbling class. It is conditioning the body to be successful in each skill, not just a general conditioning program. It is in making them mentally aware to take the next step in progressions safely. it is in the amount of practice reps they complete safely before you ever let them them throw it for real on the floor by themselves and then in having them throw it for real on the competition floor numerous times before they ever think about competing the skill.

Many of these things are simply not practiced for many reasons. None of them good reasons IMO and all increase uncessasry risk to athletes
I wish I was near wherever you are. I have no doubts where my CP would be tumbling...

I saw somewhere that she had surgery that week, but haven't heard or seen any updates since.

but she also retweeted the video so I'm assuming it didn't bother her as much as you'd think. the cheerforce girl on the other hand, was for sure bothered.
I think it was the cheerforce girl because I remember the coach releasing a statement from the gym asking those who has shared the video to delete it because she was so bothered by it, and hated to keep being reminded of it.

That is awesome. CP was 3 when she broke her growth plate because she was jumping up and down on our hardwood floors. That was literally all she was doing---jump, jump, jump, jump, OUCH!, trys to jump and falls.

The people at the ER looked at us like "And..." as if she jumped on something or landed on something...nope. And weirdly enough, she had shoes on.

Which one? At last count, there was at least a dozen or so serious, serious injuries at World's this past year. Lots of knees blown out.
Believe it was the girl from cheer force

I think it was the cheerforce girl because I remember the coach releasing a statement from the gym asking those who has shared the video to delete it because she was so bothered by it, and hated to keep being reminded of it.
oh okay. I was talking about the girl from top notch, because that's the one who had all the videos posted (the one where a towel was thrown over her foot)

I wish I was near wherever you are. I have no doubts where my CP would be tumbling...

Aww thanks. :) I try hard to keep my ego out of it and treat each athlete like it was my daughter that I was coaching. The same care and concern I would want them to have, I give. The same push, the same quality instruction. Please feel free to inbox me and let me know what is going on with your daughter and tumbling. I will be happy to see if i can help from a distance, or swing thru when I am on one of my trips to the East Coast.

I still say the floor was messed up. There was one area that seemed more treacherous/dead that lots of kids seemed to get injured there. I was watching one routine and one athlete tumbled near that corner area but when they did the routine again he did not do the extra tumbling in that spot. I remember thinking it was a wise choice. Heck I even wondered if his coach told him not to tumble there.

In the gymnastics center I used to run I had a girl break her arm doing cartwheels in warm up lines. In cheer I have seen a girl tear ACL, MCL, Meniscus doing a standing BHS while being spotted, another break an arm doing a Back Walkover down the wedge, and had a girl who could do double fulls and specialty passes thru to double fulls break a knee cap while only doing a ROBHS (she tried to stop herself when she heard the bell ring for someone getting a new skill and pop her knee went) Regardless to the skill level of the athlete it can happen. It does't always happen on the "dreaded double full that only big/mega gyms can teach properly" (sarcasm folks) which is another reason I say that report years ago was baloney.

Injury prevention is more than be qualified to teach. It is knowing how many reps an athlete can properly handle safely before their risk of injury is raised to unsafe levels. It is in monitoring the amount of hard landings an athlete performs in practice, tumbling class. It is conditioning the body to be successful in each skill, not just a general conditioning program. It is in making them mentally aware to take the next step in progressions safely. it is in the amount of practice reps they complete safely before you ever let them them throw it for real on the floor by themselves and then in having them throw it for real on the competition floor numerous times before they ever think about competing the skill.

Many of these things are simply not practiced for many reasons. None of them good reasons IMO and all increase uncessasry risk to athletes

See also: JUMPS!

I've seen kids roll ankles and such on just garden-variety toe touches. Not even fancy combos.

Back