All-Star Prepping For The Cheerpocalypse: What Will We Do When Shtf?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is more info coming from both of you than has ever been said by Varsity. That is a sound and legal reason not to instruct tumbling. Which of course opens up more issues from someone like me who I have had several of my school athletes in those show offs and win those awards, but I digress.

So my next random thought is - if not insured for it, why even have the show offs to nominate tumblers? Just avoid it all together. I mean an athlete can can get injured doing a cartwheel just like they can a double full - even though I agree the risk is much higher for a double full. If injury and liability are the issue, just say no to tumbling altogether. No awards, no recognition at all for tumbling, no transitions, nothing. That to me would be the consistent, safe and logical choice, given the no insurance issue that you both put forward.

Please know I am not attacking you. The company position makes perfect sense - UNTIL you allow them to tumble at all.
Jumping off of that point, what do you think of the fact that certified HS cheer coaches can let kids tumble at practice, even if they are not certified to specifically teach tumbling?

Jumping off of that point, what do you think of the fact that certified HS cheer coaches can let kids tumble at practice, even if they are not certified to specifically teach tumbling?
What about the high school cheerleading coaches that aren't qualified to be a cheer coach period? and are just representatives of the team and leaving them at practices ALONE and allowing stunts and such to be taught by children because their "Adviser" doesn't know anything about cheer and hasn't even bothered to get certified. MTV's "made" had an episode where the cheer coach was seriously a volunteer English teacher or something and just sat and watched practices, but didn't actually have the qualifications to be a cheer coach.

What about the high school cheerleading coaches that aren't qualified to be a cheer coach period? and are just representatives of the team and leaving them at practices ALONE and allowing stunts and such to be taught by children because their "Adviser" doesn't know anything about cheer and hasn't even bothered to get certified. MTV's "made" had an episode where the cheer coach was seriously a volunteer English teacher or something and just sat and watched practices, but didn't actually have the qualifications to be a cheer coach.

My dance coach taught a computer class; the HS football coach taught History. In my area, most schools have teacher/coaches that volunteer and though they're paid a very small bonus, they're ultimately just the person who said they'd do it. It's up to them to seek out anything beyond that.

Many lack experience in cheer, but where I live they must be a certified teacher. Which means they have had background checks, a College degree with a major in education, training on working with students and their families, etc.

My dance coach taught a computer class; the HS football coach taught History. In my area, most schools have teacher/coaches that volunteer and though they're paid a very small bonus, they're ultimately just the person who said they'd do it. It's up to them to seek out anything beyond that.
I realize that. I have no problem with volunteers in general. Its just I believe that you should have the experience as well even if its just a handful, but with schools on a budget its a bit more understanding that they may not be able to find let alone afford those people with legit experience, but because of that I would want those volunteers to become certified in the field that they are volunteering in and stay educated on the sport. That's the least that could happen to keep an ensure safety of your students. Most volunteer coaches at schools in my area (my exact location not just NC in general) don't even bother to get certified or go to educational meetings and that scares me.

I realize that. I have no problem with volunteers in general. Its just I believe that you should have the experience as well even if its just a handful, but with schools on a budget its a bit more understanding that they may not be able to find let alone afford those people with legit experience, but because of that I would want those volunteers to become certified in the field that they are volunteering in and stay educated on the sport. That's the least that could happen to keep an ensure safety of your students. Most volunteer coaches at schools in my area (my exact location not just NC in general) don't even bother to get certified or go to educational meetings and that scares me.

If most schools required coaches to receive the actual, legit certification you are calling for; and by then enforcing it, have to pay for it; I think the amount of school teams we'd see---across the board---would plummet.

If most schools required coaches to receive the actual, legit certification you are calling for; and by then enforcing it, have to pay for it; I think the amount of school teams we'd see---across the board---would plummet.
That make sense as well. Just wishful thinking I suppose.

Many lack experience in cheer, but where I live they must be a certified teacher. Which means they have had background checks, a College degree with a major in education, training on working with students and their families, etc.

Doesn't mean they should be spotting/coaching though. A lot of the teachers at my school refuse to teach any type of gymnastics in their PE classes cos they don't feel qualified to, even though they have all of the above mentioned training. I even teach the boys PE class instead of their regular PE teacher (who has Ed and Phys-Ed degrees) cos he's not comfortable with it. He takes my basketball unit, cos I hate basketball.

My daughter's High School Cheer Coach just moved to our area. She has extensive experience Coaching and playing competitive Volleyball, but the Volleyball Coach positions were filled. So, she is now Coaching Cheer. Her first time to be involved with Cheer. I was nervous and worried, but I'm really impressed. She is doing a great job!

Doesn't mean they should be spotting/coaching though. A lot of the teachers at my school refuse to teach any type of gymnastics in their PE classes cos they don't feel qualified to, even though they have all of the above mentioned training. I even teach the boys PE class instead of their regular PE teacher (who has Ed and Phys-Ed degrees) cos he's not comfortable with it. He takes my basketball unit, cos I hate basketball.

I agree, safety should always be the priority.

My daughter's High School Cheer Coach just moved to our area. She has extensive experience Coaching and playing competitive Volleyball, but the Volleyball Coach positions were filled. So, she is now Coaching Cheer. Her first time to be involved with Cheer. I was nervous and worried, but I'm really impressed. She is doing a great job!
They'e not many out there like her. Is getting training else where? Like attending educational meetings about cheerleading? Advice from other scholastic or all star coaches? etc I would be impressed as well :)

In Iowa "MOST" cheer coaches are required to go through and get their coaching certification which includes first aid, cpr, aed, etc plus concussion management and go through your rules meeting in each season so twice a year. If you aren't a certified coach most schools for insurance/liability reasons won't let you stunt at all or won't let you stunt past a prep level. I know Iowa has fairly strict HS cheer rules but idk about other states.

That make sense as well. Just wishful thinking I suppose.

I think a lot of it, ultimately, comes down to parent responsibility. In every sport, our kids are put in the position to be hurt, for an accident to happen, for a stunt to fall, or a bat to fly the wrong way. A poor 8 year old lost his life this past week after he was struck in the head by a rogue bat in Little League---LITTLE LEAGUE!

Ultimately, I think it's important that parents learn the sport their child is in---do I need to know how to score a routine? No. But should I have a basic understanding of what a concussion looks like? Yes. Should I know the difference between a few random bruises and bumps throughout the season and being covered in head to toe bruising, scratches, and cuts all season? Yes. Should I have a basic understanding that a BHS involve popping up from your hands not your head, even if the child is only 3? Of course.

If I saw something I didn't like, or didn't feel was safe, would I say something? Yes. Would I be that mean parent that walked away from a program (not just cheer, but Little Genius does dance and I can attest to those dangers) if I felt the safety of my kids was not being considered? Absolutely.

I get not being able to attend practices if your kid is doing something in high school, because let's be honest, you're not likely invited to them---but can you still see your child's body, their injuries, the stories of practice, and when they perform? Yes. If something feels wrong, it like is and it's time to start asking questions.

I think a lot of it, ultimately, comes down to parent responsibility. In every sport, our kids are put in the position to be hurt, for an accident to happen, for a stunt to fall, or a bat to fly the wrong way. A poor 8 year old lost his life this past week after he was struck in the head by a rogue bat in Little League---LITTLE LEAGUE!

Ultimately, I think it's important that parents learn the sport their child is in---do I need to know how to score a routine? No. But should I have a basic understanding of what a concussion looks like? Yes. Should I know the difference between a few random bruises and bumps throughout the season and being covered in head to toe bruising, scratches, and cuts all season? Yes. Should I have a basic understanding that a BHS involve popping up from your hands not your head, even if the child is only 3? Of course.

If I saw something I didn't like, or didn't feel was safe, would I say something? Yes. Would I be that mean parent that walked away from a program (not just cheer, but Little Genius does dance and I can attest to those dangers) if I felt the safety of my kids was not being considered? Absolutely.

I get not being able to attend practices if your kid is doing something in high school, because let's be honest, you're not likely invited to them---but can you still see your child's body, their injuries, the stories of practice, and when they perform? Yes. If something feels wrong, it like is and it's time to start asking questions.
I agree 100% but there is still so many parents out there who don't care and its very sad.

Back