Privates For Flying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 15, 2015
I'm starting college soon and tried out for the noncompetitive all girl team that just cheers at games and spirit events. They asked me to try out as a flyer during the start of the semester in a few weeks due to my size. My problem is I have only done high school cheer and have never been a flyer. I always side based but the school team has enough bases and I would be one of the smallest on the team. I'm also not very flexible and my tumbling is ok but the team doesn't tumble much. I'm not part of a cheer gym cuz I have only done school cheer. Are there privates available to get the basics of flying? I don't know how the private lesson would work just for flying since I don't have a stunt group. I'm not even sure if its possible to get somewhat prepared for the tryout in 2 weeks.

I really want to keep up with cheer in some way, does anyone have
any advice for my situation?

Call local all star gyms and ask. Also ask your potential teammates. Ask your coach if they can set something up. Good luck

Call local all star gyms and ask. Also ask your potential teammates. Ask your coach if they can set something up. Good luck

@Lisa Seye Thank you. My college is 8 hours away from home and they dont have all star gyms near them, I also dont know any of my teammates yet. They want me to tryout during the first weekend of school so the only time I have to prepare is before I move in which is why I'm so concerned

In addition, you can stretch and condition at home on your own.

Stretching - For the Love of Tumbling Debbie Love

Erica Lin

CEA stretching series

@incognitocheermom thank you my coach was a big fan of Debbie Love so I have been using her stretching videos already, I will try the flyer ones over the next 2 weeks! I never tried body position or things like that before so thats where my concern with flexibility is, I've heard its dangerous to practice them on your own. I dont think they'll ask for those at the tryout though, just basic stunts so hopefully its not a big deal

I can see how stunting in the air at home would not be recommended/safe. I am not a coach, but both of my CP's have practiced body positions at our home. That has always seemed safe to me.

@incognitocheermom thank you my coach was a big fan of Debbie Love so I have been using her stretching videos already, I will try the flyer ones over the next 2 weeks! I never tried body position or things like that before so thats where my concern with flexibility is, I've heard its dangerous to practice them on your own. I dont think they'll ask for those at the tryout though, just basic stunts so hopefully its not a big deal

There's no harm in doing stretches/positions at home. As long as you know your limits and have proper technique(e.g the heel stretch in front like the cea video shows). I would think they will ask you to show your body positions at try outs, as this is common for flyers, most likely on the floor though since you've never flown. But I would for sure practice the most basic positions(heel, scorp and scale) at home, and be ready to perform them on try outs!

@Belinda @incognitocheermom thank you guys for your advice. I went on facebook and messaged the team captain and she told me that they are going to ask flyers to go up to extension and do basic cradle dismount and twist cradle dismount. Ive emailed some gyms nearby but still waiting a response, but would privates help me prepare for this? Will there like be a stunt group to practcie with or just a coach? Ive never been in the air so I want to get practice being tight for the tryout

Back