All-Star Progression

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 24, 2021
Hi All! My daughter is new to allstar (second season) and just wanted to pick your brains. Is it normal to have two practices a week but none of those practices focus on tumbling or jumps? I know the gym offers a tumbling class that's included in tuition but it seems like practice is only working on the routine and never gaining new skills or mastering ones that were just learned or even progressing further like improving jumps. Is this normal and what I should expect throughout her cheer career? I ask because that means she should be taking additional tumbling, then stretch/jump classes, etc with no time being allocated during practice. She is being left out of sections that she hasn't either mastered the skill yet or can't execute flawlessly which to me, defeats the purpose as she doesn't get to practice it during practice so when should she be working on these. I don't want this to be a 7 day a week sport and if there are already two dedicated days to practice outside of tumbling, why isn't that being taught? Just trying to make sure our gym isn't the only one that works like this and if it is normal. Thank you!

Sounds pretty normal to me. We always had 2 practices a week (maybe an extra one scheduled here and there). Those practices were only for working on the routine. Once the season started, practice was for run-throughs and upgrades. Each team had a tumbling class outside of the practice hours.

If you are given a tumbling class included in your tuition, utilize it. You are paying for it. She'll gain skills, but realize they won't be used in a routine until mastered. It's going to be up to her to work hard to get and master those skills.

It doesn't need to be a 7 day a week sport. You have a tumble class that is included. Maybe do a private once or twice a month for one on one instruction. You can make a schedule work for you. Don't stress about not getting skills in a routine. When they're ready for the routine, they'll go in. But your daughter has to do the work for that to happen.

at this time of year the regular practice times are preparing the team for competition...once choreography is done, its full on perfecting the routine.

Thank
Sounds pretty normal to me. We always had 2 practices a week (maybe an extra one scheduled here and there). Those practices were only for working on the routine. Once the season started, practice was for run-throughs and upgrades. Each team had a tumbling class outside of the practice hours.

If you are given a tumbling class included in your tuition, utilize it. You are paying for it. She'll gain skills, but realize they won't be used in a routine until mastered. It's going to be up to her to work hard to get and master those skills.

It doesn't need to be a 7 day a week sport. You have a tumble class that is included. Maybe do a private once or twice a month for one on one instruction. You can make a schedule work for you. Don't stress about not getting skills in a routine. When they're ready for the routine, they'll go in. But your daughter has to do the work for that to happen.
Thanks for the response. She is currently in tumble once a week and then does privates twice a month so sounds like we're exactly on track.

at this time of year the regular practice times are preparing the team for competition...once choreography is done, its full on perfecting the routine.
Thanks! She is only in 2 of the 5 sections that they are working on now. The coach said they are still figuring out spots but it seems she is the only one that doesn't have one in some sections. She's standing around 65% of the time not doing anything. To me that seems like a huge waste of time and money to not be doing anything during practice. I've emailed the coach but she gave a vague answer of still determining spots.

Definitely normal this far into the season. Right after tryouts until around July/August when they get choreography, they will spend time on tumbling and jumps, but once the routine is set they only focus on what and who is in the routine. CP's gym doesn't have a jumps class, so that has to be done in privates or individually. Tumbling is included for us as well, but it is hard to progress with just a tumbling class, so she does a weekly private also.

I would ask the coach if she can work on things on her own while the rest of the team is working on sections she's not in. Even if it is just stretching and doing some jump or tumbling drills, she will be more productive than just standing around. CP and a few others are not in jumps because they are doing a stunt behind the jumps, but the stunt is pretty simple and they usually practice jumps with the team if they are not actually running through the routine.

Thanks! She is only in 2 of the 5 sections that they are working on now. The coach said they are still figuring out spots but it seems she is the only one that doesn't have one in some sections. She's standing around 65% of the time not doing anything. To me that seems like a huge waste of time and money to not be doing anything during practice. I've emailed the coach but she gave a vague answer of still determining spots.
I don't know how old your kiddo is, or what level she's on, but all I'm going to say is, take a deep breath. I know it's probably frustrating seeing your child not having a role in sections of the routine. Especially since you're paying a lot for that non role. But, what you're seeing isn't necessarily the full picture. Routines evolve over the course of the entire season. Spots are never final. Maybe your daughter doesn't currently have the skills needed for the particular sections they are working on, but that doesn't mean she won't be able to get them and get a spot at some point.
I know you said this was your daughter's second season. Curious as to whether she's on the same level as last year or if she moved up. Did she have a role in all sections last year?

I don't know how old your kiddo is, or what level she's on, but all I'm going to say is, take a deep breath. I know it's probably frustrating seeing your child not having a role in sections of the routine. Especially since you're paying a lot for that non role. But, what you're seeing isn't necessarily the full picture. Routines evolve over the course of the entire season. Spots are never final. Maybe your daughter doesn't currently have the skills needed for the particular sections they are working on, but that doesn't mean she won't be able to get them and get a spot at some point.
I know you said this was your daughter's second season. Curious as to whether she's on the same level as last year or if she moved up. Did she have a role in all sections last year?
Haha...I love take a breath! Since I am new to this I'm glad there's a forum like this to help me out. She moved out of Tiny prep to mini prep 1.1 because of age. There is no mini 1 this year I've heard because of scoring changes but not sure if that is true. She was in all sections last year so this is new as well and she is 7.

I'm not very happy about progression at our gym either. The tumbling classes are way too full and they aren't teaching all skills required to go to next level. Private lessons are scarcely available and I'm not keen on paying anyways. Seems like if you regularly attend your tumbling session, it should be structured in a way that you improve and advance, but sadly that is not the case! Our team has two practices a week, one tumbling session and typically another 30-45 min suggested stunt group practice.

I'm not very happy about progression at our gym either. The tumbling classes are way too full and they aren't teaching all skills required to go to next level. Private lessons are scarcely available and I'm not keen on paying anyways. Seems like if you regularly attend your tumbling session, it should be structured in a way that you improve and advance, but sadly that is not the case! Our team has two practices a week, one tumbling session and typically another 30-45 min suggested stunt group practice.
Agreed!

Haha...I love take a breath! Since I am new to this I'm glad there's a forum like this to help me out. She moved out of Tiny prep to mini prep 1.1 because of age. There is no mini 1 this year I've heard because of scoring changes but not sure if that is true. She was in all sections last year so this is new as well and she is 7.
Breathing is def a big help! At this point in the season coaches are trying to move around people, see who has the strongest skills to help the scoresheet, see what works and what doesn't. And spots are almost never 100% set because someone could gain/lose a skill or show a strength somewhere else and need to move. As much as coaches wish we could set a routine and be done with it, that almost never works lol.

The best way for her to be utilized is to strengthen her skills. If she's not currently in jumps she can work on flexibility and technique at home to improve. If she is lacking tumbling I saw you mention she is working in a tumbling class and privates so that will help. I coach an elite mini 1 so believe me, there's a lot of moving around to do sometimes with those little ones!

Breathing is def a big help! At this point in the season coaches are trying to move around people, see who has the strongest skills to help the scoresheet, see what works and what doesn't. And spots are almost never 100% set because someone could gain/lose a skill or show a strength somewhere else and need to move. As much as coaches wish we could set a routine and be done with it, that almost never works lol.

The best way for her to be utilized is to strengthen her skills. If she's not currently in jumps she can work on flexibility and technique at home to improve. If she is lacking tumbling I saw you mention she is working in a tumbling class and privates so that will help. I coach an elite mini 1 so believe me, there's a lot of moving around to do sometimes with those little ones!
Thanks for the advice and insight!

Back