Proper Stance For Basing Extended Libs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 5, 2014
Hey there! One of my CPs went to a stunt clinic last weekend and had a wonderful time, however, I noticed that at Open yesterday she was basing differently in her libs. Before camp she'd main base using ' taco' grip and staying slightly to the side of the stunt; ie. shoulders squared towards the side-base. Now she's going directly under the stunt, shoulders squared to the front and looking straight up. (Her stance reminds me of a coed lib, with the exception of her hand grip which is still in taco, not front or back grip.) She says they taught her this new grip and that its easier to hit a lib for longer periods, but that movement is harder. (Cradles, switch-ups and tick tocks are now a lot less stable and very messy.)

My questions are; is this grip common and if so, is there anyway for her to maintain the power she got from the other stance without looking like she's about to get crushed by her flyer. Also, from a coaches and/or athletes point of view, which way would you find safer and more effective?

Thanks!

16027_630517326963966_182679126_n.jpg

This is my personal favorite grip. It makes the stunt sooo much sturdier. We have the base under the stunt grabbing the foot with both hands on the bottom of the foot rather than one on top & one on bottom (like a hamburger grip).
It makes it a lot easier to transition to single based stunts as well....
524552_630517313630634_95802469_n.jpg

In my experience, I think it's easier to cradle (twisting dismounts & straight) and tick tock from this positon because of the sturdy platform you get.

When we tick up we don't have the main base underneath the stunt, because as you said it's just a lot messier.

I think that since your cp has just begun using this grip, she might not just be totally comfortable with it. It's a lot different going from the side facing grip to this one. I think it will just take time to find the hang of moving comfortably!

Although this grip was my personal favorite, you just have to do what works for your stunt group :)

I hope this helps!! :)

I have main based for years, but this year I had to learn how to secondary base for our quick stunt. It was definitely weird to get used to but the way pictured above is definitely the easiest way I have found. We do ball-ups to stretch, so being right underneath of it makes a solid platform for my flyer to stand on when she hits our hands. Therefore it's a lot less likely for the flyer to "fall through" when doing release moves. It's also an easy fix/easier to save if my main base gets a bad grip since I have so much control of her foot. Lastly, it basically guarantees that your bases will be basing together instead of a mile apart.

The stunt group should just practice with it more, I think. When doing switch-ups and smush-up/ground-up release moves like that, secondary base should be quarter-turning to the front on the way up instead of after the release so she can spot the foot and get under there with ease. It made me nervous at first, but it just took practice. Have her remember to use her legs and core to hold her weight, NOT her back!! Bases should be just as tight as flyers when stunting! Different things obviously work for different stunt groups, but this seems to be the most universally affective way to secondary base in my gym.

PS: my shoulder muscles got so ripped after I started secondary basing. Proper technique will really bulk you up!!

Back