All-Star Question About Cheersport Rule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheer4evah

Cheer Parent
Apr 20, 2011
I posted this in the newbie section first, but just realized I am now allowed to post here (yay!) and thought more people might see it here.

This is from Cheersport's website (they are referring to a level 2 team in their example)-

For Jumps, the team performs squad double toe touch back walkovers. This team would score in the Medium Range because their connected tumbling skills were Level 1. To score in the High Range, this team would have needed to connect a back handspring to their double toe touches (there must be a pause before the back handspring). CHEERSPORT allows a 4 count pause in between the jump(s) and tumbling in Levels 1, 2, and 4. The four count pause may include a set position for tumbling but may not include choreography including but not limited to a clap or motions.
Does this mean that a level 2 team that does triple toe touches into dive rolls then bhs would be illegal? It sounds like they are not allowed to do anything immediately following the jumps. Our team does their jump sequence which ends with triple toe directly into dive roll, bhs, 2 count pause, bhs. We have not had any problems at any other comps, but the way I am reading this rule it sounds like we may have a problem at nationals in Feb.

Thanks for your replies!

I posted this in the newbie section first, but just realized I am now allowed to post here (yay!) and thought more people might see it here.

This is from Cheersport's website (they are referring to a level 2 team in their example)-

For Jumps, the team performs squad double toe touch back walkovers. This team would score in the Medium Range because their connected tumbling skills were Level 1. To score in the High Range, this team would have needed to connect a back handspring to their double toe touches (there must be a pause before the back handspring). CHEERSPORT allows a 4 count pause in between the jump(s) and tumbling in Levels 1, 2, and 4. The four count pause may include a set position for tumbling but may not include choreography including but not limited to a clap or motions.
Does this mean that a level 2 team that does triple toe touches into dive rolls then bhs would be illegal? It sounds like they are not allowed to do anything immediately following the jumps. Our team does their jump sequence which ends with triple toe directly into dive roll, bhs, 2 count pause, bhs. We have not had any problems at any other comps, but the way I am reading this rule it sounds like we may have a problem at nationals in Feb.

Thanks for your replies!
I think- although don't quote me on this, that they allow the pause in order for teams to 'set' before the bhs, since you can't connect airborne skills (like bhs in level 2 or a tuck in level 4) to jumps. But if you were to do choreo in between the jump and the tumbling, it would have been broken up and wouldn't count as a 'singular' combo skill. Does that make any sense? I believe you're ok, but I'll let someone more qualified in this area help you out!'

it wouldn't be illegal.

This is purely for scoring purposes. They want you to "connect" your jumps to an at level tumbling skill and they give you up to 4 counts to do this.
The USASF doesn't allow you to directly connect your jump with your bhs in level 2. but to max out cheersport scores you have to do a jump pause bhs.

so to summarize, if you want your level 2 team to score well at cheersport do a jump land stand up then sit for your bhs

Make sure you go to your original thread. Andre answered it. He is a judge with much experience.

Update on this. CHEERSPORT sent me a PM about this.

That is in correct, it WOULD put you in the High Range. Kevin wanted to know if you would please comment in both the Newbie and Regular thread talking about this and say to call CHEERSPORT directly (1-888-Ready-Ok) or email me and I will help these coaches. My email is [email protected].

Back