All-Star Rays Basket Toss Deduction

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 15, 2011
I like to watch the all star cheerleading because it's cool. I cheer for high school so obviously the rules are different. I was watching Worlds 2011 on ESPN the other day and the commentators noted how the stingrays didn't throw a basket during the running tumbling. I was wondering what kind of deduction that was and what you guys think about it. thanks :rays:

They didn't get an actual deduction for it. The commentators don't know what they are talking about. If anything they would have just gotten a lower score on their building.

F5 did the same thing a few years ago and it wasn't a deduction but I think it took off execution possibly.

It's not like figure skating where the judges know in advance if you missed a skill. Since they didn't actually throw anybody they can't get a deduction for something that didn't happen. I swear those announcers just make crap up...

they didnt even load into the basket. i dont think it was a deduction. im almost positive they hit deduction free.

I like to watch the all star cheerleading because it's cool. I cheer for high school so obviously the rules are different. I was watching Worlds 2011 on ESPN the other day and the commentators noted how the stingrays didn't throw a basket during the running tumbling. I was wondering what kind of deduction that was and what you guys think about it. thanks :rays:

I actually really thank you for this post. I work at Rays, and while I am not a coach on Orange I have worked with them over the years (as have lots of coaches at Rays). My biggest complaint about this past years Worlds was inaccurate information being broadcasted and confusing those trying to follow and get into the sport. I think this just reminds me (and all of us) that whatever is broadcasted needs to be accurate and correct.

I actually really thank you for this post. I work at Rays, and while I am not a coach on Orange I have worked with them over the years (as have lots of coaches at Rays). My biggest complaint about this past years Worlds was inaccurate information being broadcasted and confusing those trying to follow and get into the sport. I think this just reminds me (and all of us) that whatever is broadcasted needs to be accurate and correct.
honestly, i don't think there should even be commentators. It takes away from the music of the routine which i enjoy a lot. But you're welcome for posting it! I was pretty confused as to why it would be a deduction.

alright well thanks for clearing that up guys :)
You'll come to realize this season that we aren't really fans of the ESPN commentators. As far as I know, they don't really have strong cheer backgrounds in terms of scoresheets, choreography, and technicality.

It was for the 'benefit' (and I use that word loosely) of those who aren't familiar with the sport and therefore 'couldn't understand' as to why a team could hit deduction-free and not win. You'd think, considering some of them are gymnasts, they could explain it like the concept of 'start values' and go from there (as in just because you hit relatively deduction-free doesn't mean you win if your start-value isn't high enough). I think enough people watch gymnastics/figure skating enough to get that concept even if it isn't COMPLETELY cheer accurate. I personally think it's better than making up a deduction that doesn't exist..

I love that there is a facebook page for this. HAHAHA Just liked it!

Back