All-Star Religion In The Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 8, 2010
I know that this thread is posted at an awkward time since everyones so excited about the upcoming season, but lately at my gym ive been noticing a few moms upset about prayer at practice. I know religion is a tricky issue,especially if the gym is secular and does not claim to be christian in any way. but whats too much? is prayer out of the question at practice? Its not like they're sitting in a circle doing devotionals... is this offensive or are some moms just being difficult?

We always prayed an Our Father before competition and it was never an issue that I know of. I was a part of a secular gym, but my coaches/owners had come from coaching a Catholic school and it was just part of their ritual. I actually never noticed it might be out of the ordinary until I was out of high school.

I tend to like religion to be separate from things like school or team sports since there are so many different religious beliefs out there, but it doesn't really bother me if it happens. I think that if the parents have a problem with it then they should speak with the coach and owner to let them know they do not want their child to participate. No one is forcing the athletes to pray so if their parents or themself do not wish to pray they can walk away.

I think it would bother me if it was something that seemed like everyone had to do or they'd be the outsider. Even if it's not required, if you are the only one not doing it, things might get very uncomfortable.

It's basically tradition that our gym owner says a prayer with the teams at our big competitions, and we've never had a parent complain or say anything.

I would only have an issue if it seems like you HAVE to do it. I personally think, if you want to pray before a competition, that is your business, you can do it separate from the team. Even when people don't mean to, certain religious practices come off as people pushing their beliefs on others, and I think people should be avoiding that at all costs.

I would not like it they were praying at every practice. I do not think that a secular gym should impose their religion on the girls. Many people are not christian and do not believe in "God". I also think that if you were the only child abstaining from the prayer, you would feel awkward and out of place. If this is a practice at a gym, I think they should fully inform parents before they sign their kids up.

I think it would bother me if it was something that seemed like everyone had to do or they'd be the outsider. Even if it's not required, if you are the only one not doing it, things might get very uncomfortable.
lets not forget..as sometimes people do that the kids who want to pray have just as much right to do so as the ones who are offended by it....I get tired of things being taken away by the few to the dismay of the many....why is everyone so sensitive? IMO

We pray at the end of every practice and before competitions...but part of our gyms mission is the build a healthy relationships/athleticism in a godly environment...our prayers are simple, thank you god for bringing us all here/keeping us all safe/giving us this opportunity. So nothing super religious at all! But we also have lots of athletes that attend church, so they don't mind that prayers!

lets not forget..as sometimes people do that the kids who want to pray have just as much right to do so as the ones who are offended by it....I get tired of things being taken away by the few to the dismay of the many....why is everyone so sensitive? IMO

Praying individually is different then an organized prayer with the entire team that makes some feel uncomfortable.

I agree with you, I just don't think prayer should be a universal thing in such a public setting. Prayer can occur, on one athlete's, or a group of athlete's time before practice, or after, but as a team, I don't think it should happen unless the gym is one whose foundation is built on religion, or a team is built on religious views, etc.
With that said, I think religion in a place like a gym is not necessarily a bad thing. Kids are going through a stage of deciding their feelings about religion, and sharing that experience with others their age who are also going through similar physical and emotional struggles of growing up is good, and a bit of an education about religion to these athletes is not a bad thing, I just really hope it doesn't get to a point where a non-religious person, or person of another religion, is forced to pray with the majority. Personally, being that I am not religious, I don't feel disrespected when others want to pray, but I do feel disrespectful if I pretend like I want to. Sure it is the polite thing to do at someone's dinner table, to hear them say grace and say "amen" afterwards, but I feel like I am disrespecting their religion and don't partake in it, just as they do not partake in activities I do that they are uncomfortable with.
To sum up this over worded post, I can understand introducing religion into this team setting, but the second it becomes mandatory, or athletes feel pressured to do it, or it appears that religious views are being pushed on an athlete, I think it should stop.

A very very very long time ago, my team used to do a team prayer and I'll admit...it made me a little comfortable. I was raised Jewish and even though I never considered myself very observant of my religion, I was never 100% comfortable standing in a circle praying to "Jesus my savior" with my team...but then it would have been even more uncomfortable if I separated myself and went and stood in a corner and watched while everyone else did.

If it's hurting the dynamic of your team, you should try and make a compromise by meeting at a happy medium between the desires of both parties involved. Religion is a touchy issue, both by inclusion and exclusion. Would it be possible to have non-denominational prayer?

honestly every team i have been on has always said a quick little prayer before we compete just for a little teensy weensy bit of good luck coming from a church background i see no harm in this as none of the athletes are forced to pray the coaches just have us all huddle up hold hands arms around shoulders what ever and they say a quick blessing, its more for moral support then anything, i find people are beginning to get extremely sensitive towards Christianity itself as they feel people are trying to beat them over the heads with different beliefs then what they were taught or raised in i just find it strange that when it comes to other religions people are more open to them if that makes sense :s ?
ill explain it another way if it doesnt when i lived in California my little sister went to school one day and came home telling us that they were no longer allowed to sing Christmas carols at school as they are to much of a reference to Christianity they were however be singing traditional Hanukkah, Kwanza and other religious songs instead, now i have nothing against this as i think it is fantastic kids are being opened up to different cultures its just why turn one religion away if your going to open up and be open to others?

IMO the kids who want to pray have as much right to do so as the kids who do not want to. It would bother me if there's an issue caused by the kids who don't want to or feel uncomfortable not doing it. Obviously there are some areas of our country where a prayer is a part of the norm. We do have kids that will go off to the side and say a prayer before they perform, but I have never been a part of an organization that said a team prayer.

Back