All-Star Religion In The Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

1 Peter 3:15 says ...Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

As a Christian, I have a duty to be prepared to give an answer about why I believe in Jesus Christ, as does every other Christian. The part that some Christians forget is the last seven words of this passage. Gentleness and respect are necessary when telling others about our faith as Christians. Its too bad some Christians have "bashed" people with their faith. Telling someone they are "going to hell" is not being gentle (on top of the fact that we don't know who is going to hell, only God does). I would venture a guess that many a person has been turned away by a "well meaning Christian" who said something that was harsh rather than gentle. My heart aches for those who are turned away from God by angry, defensive Christians.

As far as praying at the gym... If it were my gym, I would make sure that the participants knew UP FRONT that I run my gym with Christian values and we will pray before/after every practice and before/after every competition. You would know that coming in and it would not be up for debate. I would ask you to respect my beliefs as the owner before you asked me to respect your beliefs as the customer. If you did not want accept my system, then you would be free to find another gym.
agree 100%..and on the bashing...I am amazed at how many "christians" deem them selves judges or speakers for Jesus....Its not my place to judge...I am called to love...:)

I am more than proud to discuss it...but it always ends back at the place where we believe what we believe and nothing changed or will...so the point is beat like a horse:deadhorse: ...and FYI...I am a red white and blue bleeding conservative....proud of it and proud to love Capitalism...that wonderful thing that has brought this very message board to life....:) ..YES? :shrug:

Well let me take the opportunity to tell you that despite our differences in opinions, I DO have A LOT of respect for someone who isn't afraid to discuss their political and/or religious beliefs proudly. I'm being dead serious. Just bc I don't happen to agree w/you doesn't mean I can't respect you for having the differences. I much more appreciate someone who is openly willing to discuss things like their political affiliation bc IMO I believe that shows pride for what you believe in. I know so many people (on both sides) who won't talk about it at all and I've never really understood that. I mean, of course there's a time and place for everything, but if you're able to articulate and stand by your beliefs, I at least have respect for you bc I know you're proud of what you believe in, instead of hiding it, which makes me feel like you're ashamed of it..if that makes sense?

Yes, but very few people can talk sex, religion, or politics without getting into a debate of who is "right". Yes, it can be done where people have discussions, not debates, but it takes two mature people who know how to converse tactfully.

But this thread was about praying before a competition right? Seems like a simple topic, if the gym is based on a particular religion, then that is probably apparent from the beginning unless the gym ownership changed after you joined. If it is not based on a particular religion and some people in the gym voice their concerns with praying before a competition, then the owners should weight their decision carefully. A prayer can be replaced with a motivational chant instead. I know some do not find it the same as a prayer, and those can pray on their own if they desire instead of making it a group activity. Regardless of how you look at it, if a coach says to gather around for a prayer, that is a group activity and makes it ackward for those with other religious beliefs. Yes, they can choose not to gather around, but then they stand out as not participating with the group which is needlessly uncomfortable for kids. Why would a TEAM exclude a few in an activity?

Well let me take the opportunity to tell you that despite our differences in opinions, I DO have A LOT of respect for someone who isn't afraid to discuss their political and/or religious beliefs proudly. I'm being dead serious. Just bc I don't happen to agree w/you doesn't mean I can't respect you for having the differences. I much more appreciate someone who is openly willing to discuss things like their political affiliation bc IMO I believe that shows pride for what you believe in. I know so many people (on both sides) who won't talk about it at all and I've never really understood that. I mean, of course there's a time and place for everything, but if you're able to articulate and stand by your beliefs, I at least have respect for you bc I know you're proud of what you believe in, instead of hiding it, which makes me feel like you're ashamed of it..if that makes sense?
perfectly.....:)

Youd be surprised on how many teens use religion to keep their parents happy and keep them thinking theyre angels. Its a shame.
Amen...no pun intended. The girls in my high school that were the most wild....they were the preacher daughters. Not. Even. Kidding. Religion is such a touchy subject though - it's like the taboo you're not even supposed to talk about in family. I'm 37 years old and only JUST got the courage to leave the Catholic church and find what works for our family (and it works great, my kids love it and that's what's important!). It's Christian.....but I promise you my mother is NOT speaking to me! I heard that whole, "you're in my house you'll follow my rules thing" when I was 18, but I'm 37, married for 15 years, have 2 amazing (cheerleader) kids and I'm finishing up my doctorate and apparently I'm still not 'grown' enough, or a disappointment because I chose "faith" over "religion." And that's right in my own family. I'm not surprised to see some of the tempers on this thread.

Amen...no pun intended. The girls in my high school that were the most wild....they were the preacher daughters. Not. Even. Kidding. Religion is such a touchy subject though - it's like the taboo you're not even supposed to talk about in family. I'm 37 years old and only JUST got the courage to leave the Catholic church and find what works for our family (and it works great, my kids love it and that's what's important!). It's Christian.....but I promise you my mother is NOT speaking to me! I heard that whole, "you're in my house you'll follow my rules thing" when I was 18, but I'm 37, married for 15 years, have 2 amazing (cheerleader) kids and I'm finishing up my doctorate and apparently I'm still not 'grown' enough, or a disappointment because I chose "faith" over "religion." And that's right in my own family. I'm not surprised to see some of the tempers on this thread.

When My dad went from a Catholic church to a Baptist last year (he was 50) his parents refused to attend his baptism because they believed he was turning his back on what his parents had chosen for him as a child. His mother, who is one of the sweetesst women in the world, got over it the next day but his father still holds it against him. Sad when people are like that, at least he still has religion in his life.

I truly feel that if an athlete wants to pray that they should. I have got to wittness first hand what religion and prayer can do for a person after my nephew fied last August. It was then that religion was brought into the lives of almost all of my relatives and without it who knows what could have happened. Seeing how it helped them through something so horrible proves to me that it can help a person in all different ways. If an athlete feels like it is going to make them feel better in any way to pray then go for it. BUT at the same time I believe it should be an individual activity because each athlete has individual needs and may have something else to pray about then the girl standing beside her.
If you have parents who dislike having a group prayer said maybe you should keep the circle and give out the group prayer to the athletes and leave it up to them to say that one or their own in silence. This still makes it a group activity but still gives them the freedom that some parents are looking for.

I was on PCM when it was Magic All Stars and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" phillipians 4:13 was painted big on the wall across from the main floor that we practiced routines on it was very cool and inspiring while doing routines or anything challenging! I am now on OC all stars and we pray before we compete! "teams that pray together stay together"

Back