All-Star Remembering Choreography?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2015
What is everyone's top tips to remember choreography? I have to remember about 1.30 of a Pom dance routine next week (we are learning it next week and we're close to comps).

Practice little sections at a time and piece them together. The more you do it the more your body and brain will remember and do it instinctively.

**AS Cheer is the The Hotel California of sports**

Have someone else film you right after choreography (maybe even during breaks if possible) - once from the front and once from the back. That way you can always reference the videos when you forget something.
Other than that - repetition is the key. Do the dance over and over again.

I like to do a visual run through. I normally picture myself doing things, like when I'm trying to fall asleep or taking a shower. It's weird but picturing yourself run through the motions helps you get into the mental space of the routine. It makes it easier come time to perform. In 16 years I don't think I've ever really practiced a dance outside of practice.

Lots of repetition.

Do the first 8 count. Then do first 8 count and the second 8 count. Then do the third 8 count. Then string them all together. Always go back to the beginning! Or, if there is just one certain part you are struggling on, do those counts 10 times in a row. Then connect them to the part before. Then connect to the part after. Then do it all together.

I like to do a visual run through. I normally picture myself doing things, like when I'm trying to fall asleep or taking a shower. It's weird but picturing yourself run through the motions helps you get into the mental space of the routine. It makes it easier come time to perform. In 16 years I don't think I've ever really practiced a dance outside of practice.
I did the same thing before I fell asleep, worked wonders !

Study the music and associate parts with your routine. This really helped me whenever I lost the 8 count.
Example: I know I'm supposed to do a toe touch on 3 at the same time there's a 'ding' sound effect/lyric/voiceover. When I hear it, I can get back on the count.

I do tons and tons of repetition to work the sequence into my muscle memory. I also sometimes write choreography down in my own little shorthand, with the moves alongside the relevant 8-counts or cues from the music.

Personally, I don't find it useful to have people film me. Firstly, because I hate to watch myself on video. Secondly, if the video is taken from the front then the whole thing is mirror-imaged and I end up doing the moves to the opposite side. My spatial awareness isn't good enough to overcome this.

Back