Rod Floor Vs. Spring Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
So I have my round off back handspring tuck solid on the rod floor. I know it's basically the same thing as the spring floor (except world cups floors are so dead haha :p). The thing is, I can't bring myself to throw it on the floor. I did have a mental block for a while so maybe I'm just not comfortable with it yet? Or are the two surfaces really that different? I want to get put in running tumbling at the next practice and I would really appreciate if someone would help me out :)

I believe a good rod floor is going to have more spring to it then a spring floor. Rod floors are used a lot in power tumbling and some of those passes are INSANE!!!

However you mentioned that the spring floors are pretty dead, so perhaps the rod floor run is as well and there won't be a big difference.

Try it on the floor with a spot to start and then just go for it.

Good luck!!

I believe a good rod floor is going to have more spring to it then a spring floor. Rod floors are used a lot in power tumbling and some of those passes are INSANE!!!

However you mentioned that the spring floors are pretty dead, so perhaps the rod floor run is as well and there won't be a big difference.

Try it on the floor with a spot to start and then just go for it.

Good luck!!
Thank you!

Put some mats down on the rod floor to kill its power a bit... Like panel mats or circus mats some people call them

Can I ask what is a rod floor? Haha like how is it different to a regular sprung floor?

It is not a floor, but rather a strip... Underneath a carbon fibre rods stretching across the strip, they create a greater spring than a spring floor... Use correctly they can create tremendous power

It is not a floor, but rather a strip... Underneath a carbon fibre rods stretching across the strip, they create a greater spring than a spring floor... Use correctly they can create tremendous power

Thanks. So do most gyms use them as like a tumble track sort of thing?

Spring floor will feel way more comfortable tumbling on. Dont worry about your mental block. If you absolutely need it, ask for a spot from a coach.

honestly, in my opinion it's easier to tumble on the spring, especially a dead spring floor because it provides a better spring for when you have a lot of power. don't over think it, just run more and pull it. overthinking could get the best of you and give you a mental block. do it :)

Back