Round Off Bhs Tuck Help!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 2, 2011
I've been working on this for about a year now, and just cant seem to throw it. I know the rules about setting, and being fast with the handspring to get a good rebound for the tuck... but I just can't get over the fact that I'm throwing myself backwards in the air. I'm totally freaked out that I'm just gonna land on my head. Any tips or ideas of ways to get over the going backwards scare? Trying to have it by US Finals Virgina Beach in May. Thank you!!!

Have you done it with a spot? Have you done tuck drills etc? I find this helps with fear.
Otherwise try some of Debbie Love's tips on overcoming mental blocks :)
“Breaking Free”

Try not to put pressure on/rush yourself with getting the skill though - IMO that'll only make it worse/slow down the process!

Have you done it with a spot? Have you done tuck drills etc? I find this helps with fear.
Otherwise try some of Debbie Love's tips on overcoming mental blocks :)
“Breaking Free”

Try not to put pressure on/rush yourself with getting the skill though - IMO that'll only make it worse/slow down the process!
Its been getting spoted, and I run drills with my instructors every practice. So hopefully it'll pay off soon! Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

Its been getting spoted, and I run drills with my instructors every practice. So hopefully it'll pay off soon! Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

If you can physically do the skill/are conditioned enough for it etc, then I would say it is mainly your mind that you need to conquer to conquer the skill! When I first started learning to tumble, I got a fear into my head about BHS because a couple of times I was allowed to just chuck them but my arms weren't strong enough to lock out properly so my head would skim the floor.. it freaked me out so much I wasn't able to do them unspotted for ages! Every time I was spotted my BHS were perfect and the instructor was like "I hardly spotted you!", but then when I tried to do them by myself (even on the tumble tramp) I would just collapse like a retard haha. So it really was all in my mind :) Focus on getting your head around it following Debbie's tips and hopefully that will help! :)

No worries! Good luck!!

Try doing it out of a power hurdle. Maybe you're afraid of the power from taking steps? It worked of me, good luck!

My daughter was doing great getting spotted on Ro handspring tucks but then when they would have her try to throw it herself she would freak out and just do a tuck jump after the handspring. Her coach decided to have her do just the Ro tuck and she was able to do it the first time. Once she had the Ro tuck down pat they added the handspring back in.

My cp is going through the same thing. She threw her ROBHS tuck on the floor twice last month in practice, and was doing a great job getting it, then the season ended and she started to focus on tryouts for next season. She hasn't thrown it since that one practice, and when she gets ready to try it by herself she gets petrified! I don't know what happened. She hasn't busted hard or anything, so I don't know what triggered the fear. I don't know what to do to help her. It's so frustrating, because her coaches know she can do it. I don't know why she just won't now. :(

My cp is going through the same thing. She threw her ROBHS tuck on the floor twice last month in practice, and was doing a great job getting it, then the season ended and she started to focus on tryouts for next season. She hasn't thrown it since that one practice, and when she gets ready to try it by herself she gets petrified! I don't know what happened. She hasn't busted hard or anything, so I don't know what triggered the fear. I don't know what to do to help her. It's so frustrating, because her coaches know she can do it. I don't know why she just won't now. :(

It's not a natural thing to throw your body backwards, through the air. Her brain is telling her this isn't healthy. Once she can turn off her brain, she'll be able to do the skill. In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, "90% of the game is half mental".

It's not a natural thing to throw your body backwards, through the air. Her brain is telling her this isn't healthy. Once she can turn off her brain, she'll be able to do the skill. In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, "90% of the game is half mental".
Yeah...I keep telling her that the only think keeping her from doing it is her own brain. I'm encouraging her to believe in herself. I don't know what to do as a parent at this point, though. I guess just let it flow...

Yeah...I keep telling her that the only think keeping her from doing it is her own brain. I'm encouraging her to believe in herself. I don't know what to do as a parent at this point, though. I guess just let it flow...

Just keep encouraging her. If you can video her throwing it (even with a spot), show her that she is completely capable of doing it. It'll happen. Tucks are a gateway skill. Like a backhandspring, they take so much work to get, but once achieved, they open the door to everything else. I've seen so many kids struggle to get a tuck, and then once they get it, all of a sudden other skills come so much easier. She'll get it, it just may take some time

Just keep encouraging her. If you can video her throwing it (even with a spot), show her that she is completely capable of doing it. It'll happen. Tucks are a gateway skill. Like a backhandspring, they take so much work to get, but once achieved, they open the door to everything else. I've seen so many kids struggle to get a tuck, and then once they get it, all of a sudden other skills come so much easier. She'll get it, it just may take some time
Thanks! I'm wondering if maybe she's nervous she won't get it in time for tryouts. She has 3 weeks...

That could be it too.
Thanks for the advice! I'll just keep being her biggest supporter and hope she achieves what she has set out to do. I have to remind myself she's only 8. Most kids her age wouldn't think of even trying something like that. I'm pretty proud. I just know she has all the other skills for the next level. This is the only one she doesn't do consistently. She is a flyer and has no trouble with full downs, and she does her 2 toe touch to two standing back handsprings no problem. Oh the frustration of a cheer parent... I wish I could throw it for her...then again, the gym would have to have EMTs... LOL!

My daughter was doing great getting spotted on Ro handspring tucks but then when they would have her try to throw it herself she would freak out and just do a tuck jump after the handspring. Her coach decided to have her do just the Ro tuck and she was able to do it the first time. Once she had the Ro tuck down pat they added the handspring back in.

i had the same issue and i read this and tried it and im doing it again, thank you for posting this! it motivated me :)

Back