All-Star S/o Release Discussion Re: Worlds Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let's say I am a gym owner. Why should I want this rule repealed?
Why should it be all about the gym owners? Between this thread and two others (regarding the current situation with a particular gym that cheated and got away with it and is not releasing athletes, and the illegal athletes), the athletes are getting screwed. I respect your opinion that it is only one year and one comp, but I see things far differently. My oldest CP has yet to have the opportunity to go to Worlds, and she may not ever get the opportunity, or it may come in her last year of eligibility. To have a gym owner screw her over after she has played by the rules since the age of 8 and the USASF just say "too bad - we made a rule there are no exceptions" or "the rule was made and we didn't really think about all of the what-ifs so there is nothing we can do" is unacceptable.
The USASF needs to step up and become a true governing body. I am glad to hear they are working towards mandatory membership, but so much more needs to be done. To say there are no funds to enforce the rules doesn't make sense. By requiring mandatory membership with an annual fee for each athlete, they would have the funds to enforce the rules they create ....not to mention all of the ineligible athletes there are on the floor each year....) and have an appeals process that is equitable to both gym owners and athletes. No system is perfect, but what exists now is unacceptable. I appreciate all of the work those involved with USASF have put in - this is not meant to slam anyone - but quite frankly I have seen more rules blatently broken during my all star experience with no repurcussions that with the exception of safety purposes, the rules aren't even worth having. I honestly see the system and current competitions as somewhat of a joke, and I hate saying that because my kids love what they do and I spend thousands of dollars each year and I know how hard many people have worked to evolve all-star cheer, but I don't know of any other sport whose governing body is set up this way.

Worlds isn't an open to all event as long as you have a waiver thing. First it is invite only. You have to qualify. There are teams that don't make it and you have to be performing elite level skills. It's exclusive. This rule happened to make it more exclusive.

I think people forget that Worlds is not a privilege. No one is owed worlds. You don't pay your dues and just get to go. There are no dues. It's just the cold hard truth of 'did you make it'. So if one year an athlete isn't eligible to attend an exclusive must qualify event because they didn't get a release they aren't excluded from all the allowed to attend events that everyone gets to go to. They didn't qualify for Worlds. Does it not make Worlds more exclusive?

Worlds isn't an open to all event as long as you have a waiver thing. First it is invite only. You have to qualify. There are teams that don't make it and you have to be performing elite level skills. It's exclusive. This rule happened to make it more exclusive.

I think people forget that Worlds is not a privilege. No one is owed worlds. You don't pay your dues and just get to go. There are no dues. It's just the cold hard truth of 'did you make it'. So if one year an athlete isn't eligible to attend an exclusive must qualify event because they didn't get a release they aren't excluded from all the allowed to attend events that everyone gets to go to. They didn't qualify for Worlds. Does it not make Worlds more exclusive?
Worlds is not a privilege you can just pay for I agree. It is YEARS of training and practice for a kid to finally get to a level 5. This is why it is exclusive because of the talent not the money. Even more reason your 'did you make it' reason statement does not apply. These kids DID make it and an angry gym owner said too bad.

debbie , that actually makes a lot of sense. A Gym would have to do no more than say "No waiver will be signed for a (Level 5) athlete release if they have competed with this program," in the Handbook/Agreement that I assume all parents have to sign when they register with the gym. Doesn't change the rule, but negates the need for an appeals process. Puts it in the gym's hands.
yes exactly! And parents hands knowing where they stand!

Back