Scared Of Trying New Skills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 10, 2012
I just started tumbling, and I have progressed very well...once I get over the fear of trying it. Like doing backbends I would just fall to my back cause I got so scared halfway through. Now I'm trying to nail my back kickover and I'm up with my feet on the bed, and I know I have the ability to kick but my mind won't let me! I get so freaked I'm going to land on my head. I sound like a baby, but I'm sure most people experienced it right? How do you get past the initial mental block?

As someone in another thread posted "fear tends to come from the unknown." In your case, you are unfamiliar with the new tumbling skills.

After practicing many, many times, and doing drills that familiarize you with the movements and positions of the skill, you will begin to develop a better sense of where you are during the skill and how to execute the movements successfully. The official term for this is the development of your proprioceptive sense and optimal neuro-muscular efficiency. It is more commonly refereed to as "muscle memory."

The best way to get develop muscle memory is to practice the movements in a safe, controlled environment. Gymnastics and cheer facilities have padded mats, as well as qualified instructors and spotters for the sole reason of helping people overcome their limitations and develop their skills. My first recommendation is to join a tumbling class or seek out a trusted coach to take private lessons with for individual attention.

At home, there are some drills and conditioning exercised that can be done safely to help develop muscled memory and body awareness. Since you asked specifically about the backbend and kick over I will give you some specific things to work on for the skill.

Practicing a bridge, and balancing in it by lifting your legs, and arms up is a great way to get body awareness for the backbend, kick-over, and back walkover. It will enhance your body control while inverted, flexibility, and strength which will help throughout all tumbling you will do. Tty walking in a bridge, and rocking back-&-forth and side-to-side.

As you become familiar with that use you can practice getting the strength and flexibility for a backbend by starting with your back to a wall, reaching back, and walking your hands down the wall to a bridge and trying to walk your hands to stand back up. Just be careful that you don't fall back and hit your head on the wall! Ouch!

Lastly, handstand skills such as the tick-tock, and front limber, can help the awareness, strength, and flexibility for kick-over skills. Also progressing by starting with your feet elevated in a bridge position can help make the learning curve a little easier.

Well I hope this all helps! Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
-Coach Matt

Matt Faherty

I just want to say you always give the best and most thought out answers. You try to be super helpful and you take time to explain things. I'm sure although some might fail to mention it I'm sure it is most appreciated. You are awesome!

Back