All-Star Scoresheets - Cheersport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Definitely not rude to ask at all! All the event producers need to do is have judges only write comments on the back and get some OCR software and scan the front of the score sheets in. Post to their website after each division is done. Problem solved.

I think the coaches should get to see them before anyone else. So like maybe like 2 hours after.

I'm watching "Dance Moms" right now and Cathy (for those of you who follow the show..) just went up to the head judge (I'm assuming) and asked to see the scores of their rival studio and he went over it score by score like it was no big deal. I wonder how much of that was just for TV and how much truth there is to that in dance.

My first choice would be to make the score breakdowns absolutely public. I would even be happy with just listing the averages of every number written down on each scoresheet. (example: show the average stunt execution score for a team, rather than each score from Judge A, Judge B, Judge C.) I do not necessarily think that comments should be public. (I find them to be incredibly generic, repetitive, and rarely helpful anyway.)

My next choice would be for only coaches/programs that have teams at the event see them. After that, I could see only making them available to coaches within that particular division. (However, this gives larger programs a significant advantage, IMO)

I plead, beg, cajole, and generally annoy event producers every time I see them because of how strongly I feel on this issue. Some are slowly coming around to the idea (Varsity), others are not.

Perhaps it would help if we gave an analogy that let them see the situation from our point of view.

Picture an event producer calling a gym owner a few days after an event, wanting to follow up with them about how their weekend went. The gym owner gives a few vague comments about how they liked most things and maybe gave a general suggestion or two about how they thought the event could be a little better.

Event producer asks: "So, can we look forward to seeing you guys next year?"
Awkward pause.
Gym owner: "No, I don't think so."
EP: "I'm sorry, do you mind telling me why not? We really enjoyed seeing your teams here this year, and you just said that you liked most of the things we did."
GO: "Well, we just like some other events better than yours."
EP: "Ok . . . we are always looking to make our events better - do you mind telling me where we are falling short? If someone else is doing something better than we are, we would like to know - maybe we can adjust what we do to improve our event."
GO: "I do mind, actually. The other event producers might be upset if we let you know why we picked them over you."
EP: "Umm . . . So, was it the price? What if we gave out better awards? Was one of our staff members rude?"
GO: "Sorry, we can't tell you that. I will tell you that it the decision was REALLY close - that should make you feel better, right? You just need to work a little harder and maybe we will come back one year."

Would the event producer be happy with how that conversation went? Would they want to know more?
Amazing!

All i have to say is who ever the panel in B5 for Small Coed Division II must have bee picked up off the street. The scores were crazy and teams that should not have been placed high were placed high. thats all im going to say cause if i say to much ill be calling out programs. but really cheersport was messed up this year.

All i have to say is who ever the panel in B5 for Small Coed Division II must have bee picked up off the street. The scores were crazy and teams that should not have been placed high were placed high. thats all im going to say cause if i say to much ill be calling out programs. but really cheersport was messed up this year.

It's easy for initial reaction to be emotional, but I find that true judging errors are not usually the case when you get a chance to see the scores themselves.

Not to say that mistakes aren't made

It's easy for initial reaction to be emotional, but I find that true judging errors are not usually the case when you get a chance to see the scores themselves.

Not to say that mistakes aren't made
i know but to have a team that had like 3 doubles drop stunts and and did tucks and layouts be .02 behinds smoke? that seems a little ludicrous.....

I've been to some events where they gave coaches a list of the high score and low score from each category in their division. You didn't know what team got high or low, but you could compare where your score fell. That was very helpful. I wish that all events did that. IMO some fans still wouldn't be happy even if they got to see every score.

I agree that coaches / AS directors / gym owners need to make score transparency a bigger complaint. It would help us all in the end even the EPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know but to have a team that had like 3 doubles drop stunts and and did tucks and layouts be .02 behinds smoke? that seems a little ludicrous.....

It's ok to disagree, but it is seldom ludicrous.

If you want to be that specific then you need to know the Day 1 scores for both--in each section of the scoresheet--numbers of each type of skills for the entire routine, numbers and levels of each type of stunt performed and whether or not each team is maxing out on each part of the scoresheet. After you know all these details and can compare what each team executed, to what level of perfection to get the score they did then you can truly compare. Before that you are only going by "they didn't look that good"

Mathematically a team can do bad on day 2 but it doesn't decrease their 50/50 averaged score enough to drop placements much or maybe not drop at all

I really think the only way it could work voluntarily is to have a computer program that would release the scores to all involved coaches in the divisions if all the coaches put int he scores.. then the results would be released. It would be an all or nothing scenario.

Back