Senior Level 6?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are teams that can't even consistently hit level 4 and 5 stunts so giving them the opportunity to do level 6 is a scary thought.
Not only that but you do not do level 6 stunts in school cheer until college so save it for teams with college age athletes. There are scary enough level 6 teams with adults I could imagine the things that would be tried throwing around 12 year olds.

But, that's assuming the Sr age stays at 12 for eligibility. Many think it should go up, and maybe it could for this division. I don't think it would be a stretch IF the athletes were properly trained. By very, very good coaches.
That said, I guess I don't know if it would be any different (or would add anything to the sport) than what we have now. On the positive, would there be anything good about it, as a division?

And THEN, there's always the issue that we see with those "level 5" teams--that have NO BUSINESS being level 5...or even 4 sometimes. Can you see if these same teams were allowed to be "level 6"? AH no thank you! I remember those old levels, and seeing a senior "elite" team--who should not have been in that division. I think I closed my eyes and prayed for those poor kids about 15 seconds into the routine.

I've done this watching several level 2 teams! i think this goes back to the scoresheet issue of why difficulty out-scores execution. if that issue was taken care of, we wouldn't see this so much.

I think that what will end up happening is you will have gyms that are loaded with kids who, like stated above, have been throwing doubles since before they were age ten, and then there will be everyone else. Ultimately what I would like to see is single fulls be level 5 and doubles be level 6. It would allow "everyone else" to be competitive and also allow them to keep their kids with fulls, etc.

I think that what will end up happening is you will have gyms that are loaded with kids who, like stated above, have been throwing doubles since before they were age ten, and then there will be everyone else. Ultimately what I would like to see is single fulls be level 5 and doubles be level 6. It would allow "everyone else" to be competitive and also allow them to keep their kids with fulls, etc.

But doesn't that seem pointless because now we have Senior Open 5 division? They are not allowed to double and they don't go to Worlds (keep in mind they are permitted to have kids under 12 years of age). If they made doubles level 6 would they become the main focus at worlds and level 5 would stop going since it's the same as the current SO5 division? And what about the current SO5 division? Would that division become extinct?

Just an FYI. This did exist in the past. There used to be
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and then for 2 years there was Elite.
You were allowed to do flipping baskets, and 2.5 high pyramids etc. I think it was great and I would love to see more of it.

..Correction, it is only great with the right coaches. Coaches who have never instructed this level have no business fielding a level 6 team.

Do you know where I could maybe find an old elite routine on YouTube or even Varsity's videos? I'd love to see one, it sounds interesting.

Do you know where I could maybe find an old elite routine on YouTube or even Varsity's videos? I'd love to see one, it sounds interesting.
I've been searching for a while but this was in like 04 or something. I have a video from WSF with SJS as elite, but NO idea where it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5D4v7_EIJY

This is horrible quality, but my cp came across it a few days ago.
Love the sound effects! lol

But in all seriousness Senior level 6 would be a scary idea! Coming from a person who blew a knee basing a flyer in a flipping basket I don't know that many teens would dive under the top girl that flew off the side from freaking out/pulling wrong. I've also caught baskets where girls have stopped rotating and plunge straight down at you head first. Not much in cheer scares me, but even I'll admit its scary to just watch it come and hope that you can get her and stop her. I will also say that with 2 and a half high, yes teen girls could be taught how, but like others said it does take maturity and experience knowing how to fight to save stunts and work together as an entire pyramid, not just one group. I'll also throw in that its a little intimidating your first few times being under a 2 1/2 high stunt and being the person responsible for the top girl falling back off it. It was a long time ago but I can still vividly remember my first college practice and those pyramids look a lot different from underneath when you aren't used to them!

I feel like as recent as 2006 Cheersport had a Senior level 6? I am recalling that they had it even after Worlds was created. Cheersport had the results from the last year of a Senior level 6 they offered on there website earlier this year.

Even with kids throwing doubles for 5 + year, a straight double isnt much, and we still tend to neglect forward twisting skills. There are tons of bounding skills to be mastered before we worry about double rotating. I'm still waiting for someone to do (in a standing pass) Onodi + rudi. Move outta the way one to double!

2 1/2 high pyramids look less dangerous than most level 5 pyramids IMO. When you say double backs in cheer, only thing i think of is a catastrophic injury because coaches who dont know what theyre doing, and most tumblers who would go for it probably don't have the technique.

Sr level 6 was actually allowed back in 2005..... I was lucky enough to be able to compete in that division :) but then the USASF banned it that same year. Yes that level is dangerous... but isn't every level? I think the gyms that are competing at worlds would be BETTER at competing at level 6 than MOST if not all of the Open level 6 teams and some college teams i've seen now a days. I think they should bring it back!

Level 7? It's weird to think about that, but I think if there was a level 7 the stunts would be similar to things that the Acro duo's and trios (or whatever) do. Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Level 7? It's weird to think about that, but I think if there was a level 7 the stunts would be similar to things that the Acro duo's and trios (or whatever) do. Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
I'm an acro coach as well as coaching cheer so I know what your talking about even if nobody else does :)
I would find the idea of people without a lot of training and experience trying to coach the type of acro skills I think you are suggesting terrifying though.

Back