All-Star Should I Switch Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2017
My mum suggested I switch gyms due to some issues with the team I was placed on, and I've been thinking about it but not sure. If I'm gonna switch, I need to do it SOON because this is the perfect time (the UK season has just ended). Also my sister is starting cheer soon so we need to decide which gym would be good for her.
Anyway, I'm gonna do a comparison of each gym and it would be great if you could leave your opinions on which gym is best! I can already tell it's gonna be long so just skimread if you must.

First gym (the one I'm currently at):

-really small gym

-all advertising is word of mouth or social media (as athletes we are constantly encouraged to do this). Clearly doesn't work very well as no one in the local area really knows about this gym. in fact sometimes my gym feels like some weird secret society that I accidentally stumbled across. We're not allowed to post routines or anything on social media.

-each team does about 2 comps a year, if you're a crossover you may go to a few more. Different teams go to different size comps. We do quite well in the comps and have very creative choreo.

-it's normal for people who compete on 4 teams or more just so we can field some teams (and even then we don't have enough for everyone to be placed on the correct level). Ages are a bit mixed up as well.

-everyone knows each other and there's an emphasis on fundraising and social events. It's like everyone at the gym is part of a big family (which is partly why I'd feel terrible if I left, just like that).

-there's one head coach who does basically everything

-recently I've noticed that sometimes lessons feel like a waste of money as there is too much sitting around/messing around. but maybe that is just me being uptight, idk.

-5-10 minute drive from my house depending on traffic

-no open gym

-joined last season; I was on J1 and absolutely LOVED it. Was very comfortable, was one of the stronger athletes, it was a very 'fun' team and I made lots of friends. However wanted more of a challenge.

-already been placed on a team for this season (S3) attended a few practices. My coach said it's a big jump from level one but I can handle it. S3 is the only senior team so she doesn't really have a choice but to put me on it.

-haven't enjoyed practicing with said team because in reality I am a weak level two athlete and don't like being the worst athlete on S3. I am always nervous for practice; cheer isn't a fun activity like it used to be. No-one really talks to me because I'm an awkward age compared to everyone else. There's a lot of pressure on this team as it's the highest level in the gym. I'm not very involved in stunting because I'm smaller than all the bases and there are aready three fetus flyers (who are all on youth and junior teams) so at the moment there isn't need for a flyer.

-lower level teams (level 3 is the highest)

-smaller teams ( I like the team size as I like to get a decent amount of attention on the mat).

-less teams

-we regularly enter other divisions such as pom, jazz, hip hop, solo and duo.

-all choreo and most camps are done in-house

-no open gym or extra classes apart from tumbling.

-train in our own dedicated gym.

Second gym:

-20-30 minutes drive from me depending on route and traffic

-do lots more comps (and generally bigger ones).

-around the same price as first gym (if we're not including the cost of extra competitions)

-teams are very large. I'm used to being on a small team and getting lots of attention, so not sure how I'd get on at this gym.

-they do a showcase every year

-I have friends at this gym who say that there isn't much of an emphasis on family and loyalty; as there are many coaches and teams and not everyone really knows each other. Athletes are also not expected to do fundraising/advertising.

-they train in a leisure centre and a gymnastics gym.

-they have a pay-as-you-go open gym, which is great.

-It's no secret that the tumbling training at this gym is much better than at the one I'm at before, not sure why.

-it is the 'big name gym' in my area. Everytime I tell someone I cheer, they automatically assume I go to this gym. It has a VERY big social media presence and every season puts out glamorous advertising for tryouts.

-music and choreo remind me of american gyms.

-has over twice the amount of teams as my gym, and therefore wider variety of levels and age ranges. So I think this means that it's more likely I'd be placed on a team with a reasonable age range and appropriate level.

-Has athletes from lots of backgrounds, as people travel from pretty far to come to this gyms.

-has a worlds team (may sound irrelevant but this is very impressive considering how hard it is to get to worlds from England). They also have jr restricted 5.

-often have camps run by external coaches, and most teams get dance sections professionally choreographed.

-they don't do solos, duos, or entry into dance divisions :0

-I'd have to buy a new uni, which would be annoying since it's not a new uni year yet and those things are expensive lol.

that's all I can think of for now, but hopefully should be enough to give you an idea of the main problems with each gym. Please comment which one seems best with my situation.

Last edited:
My mum suggested I switch gyms due to some issues with the team I was placed on, and I've been thinking about it but not sure. If I'm gonna switch, I need to do it SOON because this is the perfect time (the UK season has just ended). Also my sister is starting cheer soon so we need to decide which gym would be good for her.
Anyway, I'm gonna do a comparison of each gym and it would be great if you could leave your opinions on which gym is best! I can already tell it's gonna be long so just skimread if you must.

First gym (the one I'm currently at):

-really small gym

-all advertising is word of mouth or social media (as athletes we are constantly encouraged to do this). Clearly doesn't work very well as no one in the local area really knows about this gym. in fact sometimes my gym feels like some weird secret society that I accidentally stumbled across. We're not allowed to post routines or anything on social media.

-each team does about 2 comps a year, if you're a crossover you may go to a few more. Different teams go to different size comps. We do quite well in the comps and have very creative choreo.

-it's normal for people who compete on 4 teams or more just so we can field some teams (and even then we don't have enough for everyone to be placed on the correct level). Ages are a bit mixed up as well.

-everyone knows each other and there's an emphasis on fundraising and social events. It's like everyone at the gym is part of a big family (which is partly why I'd feel terrible if I left, just like that).

-there's one head coach who does basically everything

-recently I've noticed that sometimes lessons feel like a waste of money as there is too much sitting around/messing around. but maybe that is just me being uptight, idk.

-5-10 minute drive from my house depending on traffic

-joined last season; I was on J1 and absolutely LOVED it. Was very comfortable, was one of the stronger athletes, it was a very 'fun' team and I made lots of friends. However wanted more of a challenge.

-already been placed on a team for this season (S3) attended a few practices. My coach said it's a big jump from level one but I can handle it. S3 is the only senior team so she doesn't really have a choice but to put me on it.

-haven't enjoyed practicing with said team because in reality I am a weak level two athlete and don't like being the worst athlete on S3. I am always nervous for practice; cheer isn't a fun activity like it used to be. No-one really talks to me because I'm an awkward age compared to everyone else. There's a lot of pressure on this team as it's the highest level in the gym. I'm not very involved in stunting because I'm smaller than all the bases and there are aready three fetus flyers (who are all on youth and junior teams) so at the moment there isn't need for a flyer.

-lower level teams (level 3 is the highest)

-smaller teams ( I like the team size as I like to get a decent amount of attention on the mat).

-less teams

-we regularly enter other divisions such as pom, jazz, hip hop, solo and duo.

-all choreo and most camps are done in-house

-no open gym or extra classes apart from tumbling.

-train in our own dedicated gym.

Second gym:

-about 30 minutes drive from me

-do lots more comps (and generally bigger ones).

-around the same price as first gym (if we're not including the cost of extra competitions)

-teams are very large. I'm used to being on a small team and getting lots of attention, so not sure how I'd get on at this gym.

-I have friends at this gym who say that there isn't much of an emphasis on family and loyalty; as there are many coaches and teams and not everyone really knows each other. Athletes are also not expected to do much fundraising?

-they train in a leisure centre and a gymnastics gym.

-It's no secret that the tumbling training at this gym is much better than at the one I'm at before, not sure why.

-it is the 'big name gym' in my area. Everytime I tell someone I cheer, they automatically assume I go to this gym. It has a very big social media presence and every season puts out glamorous advertising for tryouts.

-music and choreo remind me of american gyms.

-has over twice the amount of teams as my gym, and therefore wider variety of levels and age ranges. So I thiknthis means that it's more likely I'd be placed on a team with a reasonable age range and appropriate level.

-Has athletes from lots of backgrounds, as people travel from pretty far to come to this gyms.

-has a worlds team (may sound irrelevant but this is very impressive considering howhard it is to get to worlds from England). They also have jr restricted 5.

-often have camps run by external coaches, and most teams get dance sections professionally choreographed.

-they don't do solos, duos, or entry into dance divisions :0

-I'd have to buy a new uni, which would be annoying since it's not a new uni year yet and those things are expensive lol.

that's all I can think of for now, but hopefully should be enough to give you an idea of the main problems with each gym. Please comment which one seems best with my situation.
I think I know which gym you are talking about, and I would change because you are a paying customer and have every right to leave, and if I am correct, that is one of the best gyms in the country and is great for development as they have so many levelled teams.

Have you visited the second gym? What was the drive like? Is is really a 30 minute drive during your potential practice times? If you have to be on the road during rush hour, how much time does it add?

When looking at a new gym, I would want to watch a practice/tumbling class etc to see the interaction between the coaches and athletes, plus the interaction between the athletes. Do the athletes seem happy and relaxed? Anxious and stressed? Can you attend an open gym to see how they react to new athletes?

You need to visit both gyms and determine where you will be happy. Pick that one.

IMHO, Based on the info you've given, the second gym sound like it may offer you an opportunity to cheer at an appropriate level (age and skill) for you. Even if you are ready for Sr3, if you feel that you are the weakest and are constantly worried about that, it may derail your season. I've switched gyms before. Both gyms offered me different things and I did have to give up some things I liked at one gym in favour of something else at the other gym. But that doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed these aspects at the different locations

1 person in 4 teams is way too much! God forbid she's hurt then that affects 4 teams. As others have said, visit the other gym before u decide.

I would definitely look at the other gym, but be prepared to be placed back on level 1. If you are a weak level 2 and it's a gym with a lot of athletes, that's the most likely placement, and will allow you to perfect level 2 skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think about switching to the other gym Maybe observe a practice or tumbling lesson. From your post it sounds like that gym has stronger coaching (so you will improve more) and will have a more appropriate team. Like you said Its never any fun to be the weakest athlete on a team it can turn cheerleading into something stressful. I think if that gym has a level one or two team that would be the best place for you. Plus is they have more higher level teams and stronger tumbling coaching there will be room for you to advance and the tools to do so

Many things you described at your current gym vs the other gym is similar to our situation. But what stood out to me the most was this

If you aren't enjoying it or you are stressed because you aren't the same skill level, that is not good. My daughter was stressing just before evals and it wasn't fun anymore. She was trying to get her next level skills back (she is going through a block) and the stress was too much. The night before evals were to start, she decided she needed to take a brake from all-stars this season. Once she made that decision, the relief was immediate. She has been tumbling at a new gym and she is now finding her joy in it again.

My point is, you need to be happy and comfortable with where you are. Being on a higher skill level team when you, as you said, are barely the next level down won't make for a fun season. If you have the potential of being on a more skill appropriate team at the new gym, that would be my choice.

Many things you described at your current gym vs the other gym is similar to our situation. But what stood out to me the most was this

If you aren't enjoying it or you are stressed because you aren't the same skill level, that is not good. My daughter was stressing just before evals and it wasn't fun anymore. She was trying to get her next level skills back (she is going through a block) and the stress was too much. The night before evals were to start, she decided she needed to take a brake from all-stars this season. Once she made that decision, the relief was immediate. She has been tumbling at a new gym and she is now finding her joy in it again.

My point is, you need to be happy and comfortable with where you are. Being on a higher skill level team when you, as you said, are barely the next level down won't make for a fun season. If you have the potential of being on a more skill appropriate team at the new gym, that would be my choice.

I totally agree with you. I never thought I would say this, but I would rather move down a level and max out completely. Sadly, I'm not the kind of person that can jump straight to level 3 and succeed- at least not without strong coaching.

I've been told that If I don't 'progress at the pace required', I'll be removed from the team (and there's no other team for me to go on). But at the moment I feel like I'm being neglected rather than helped by my coach. So how can I 'progress at the pace required'?

If I was receiving excellent tumbling and stunting training, then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

Last edited:
@glitterbows_pointedtoes, After reading your posts and messages from other posters, I am never going to tell someone to switch gyms, but I think if you need to ask this question that should be a strong indication of what you should do...

I will advise you to sit down and make a pros/cons list and what exactly you want from a gym and whether it is possible to achieve these things at your present gym... If you are able to progress, than stay and if not, switch gyms...
PS: It is possible you just outgrown your present gym and need to move to improve on your skills or remain stagnant...

From my experience quite similar to yours switch gyms it's extremely hard especially when it's like family BUT if that gym doesn't fit your skills it's not worth it I did that for one season and severely struggled the next season and almost quite the sport I live for because the situation was that stressful and gym 1 has lots of signs of a struggling gym I had to end up driving 30-45 minutes (traffic depending) to my current gym it's was the best decision I'm happy there my skills have been so improved in ONE season (barley level 3 now I'm borderline level 5 this is huge for me because I've had to work extremely hard at tumbling) also I was on the team/level I should have been and made great friendships and we placed well at comps over it was more organized and professional!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I can work out who the second gym are and I would say, if you want to be on a level appropriate team, do extremely well at comps and get extra training opportunities like open gyms and camps then I would completely go for the switch. They are such a well respected and successful programme, you've really got nothing to lose in my opinion. Yes, you would probably be on a lower level team but you'll probably find you progress well due to the coaching and training.

Also, if your sister is younger than you/a beginner then I would say that gym is a great place for her to start and then progress well through the levels.

They also have gorgeous uniforms and bows so that's a plus ;)

Back