OT Should Parents Have A Say In Whether Or Not They Vaccinate Their Children?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
That sounds like selective mutism.

You're the first person other than my direct family that I've ever heard mention that! My sister had selective mutism from around the pages of 5 - 9. She's 13 now and still suffers with very high social anxiety and self esteem issues.

You're the first person other than my direct family that I've ever heard mention that! My sister had selective mutism from around the pages of 5 - 9. She's 13 now and still suffers with very high social anxiety and self esteem issues.

Really? Wow.

Really? Wow.
Yep. She didn't speak to anyone other than myself, our mom, her dad (my stepdad) and his parents for years. Not at school, not in therapy, not friends, other family members, no one. When it came time for reading tests we had to record her reading assigned material at home and turn it in to her teacher.

ITA with this. Body chemistry is so complicated and in many cases individualized, and different substances effect kids in different ways. I feel like we can go a long way toward improving overall health by paying attention to what our bodies are telling us. I don buy the idea that a diet can "cure" something like autism, but I do believe in sone cases it can help with symptom management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't implying it can cure someone with true autism or any other actual disorder. But it can go a long way in preventing some over diagnosing of autism and ADHD. For example- the parent who looks exasperated as their kid bounces off the walls outside of the movie theater, literally running back and forth bouncing off the walls, and the runs over and grabs the red soda out of their mom's hand for a quick drink before resuming the behavior (Actual story). Maybe try cutting the crap outta the kids diet. Just try it- it won't work 100% of the time but it will help more often than not.
Sorry- a sore point for me as well. Parents want control over whether or not their kids can get immunizations which effect the health of others around them, but they need to pay just as much attention too what they feed their children daily.

Yep. She didn't speak to anyone other than myself, our mom, her dad (my stepdad) and his parents for years. Not at school, not in therapy, not friends, other family members, no one. When it came time for reading tests we had to record her reading assigned material at home and turn it in to her teacher.

Oh I believe it; I guess I'm surprised that no one else has said it before. It's definitely rare, but not that rare.

That sounds like selective mutism.

Insurance companies are never a good idea.

North Carolina has a similar bill going forward too.

As long as medical exceptions are allowed I personally am for it.

It's questionable and was never evaluated, but there was no anxiety that went along with it. My parents put me into theatre classes and while I wouldn't talk to anyone I had zero issues getting up on stage and singing and reciting my lines exactly as directed. Every elementary school report card I have also has comments about my awesome skills reading aloud to the class. It was just a really weird.. quirk I had as a child.

It's questionable and was never evaluated, but there was no anxiety that went along with it. My parents put me into theatre classes and while I wouldn't talk to anyone I had zero issues getting up on stage and singing and reciting my lines exactly as directed. Every elementary school report card I have also has comments about my awesome skills reading aloud to the class. It was just a really weird.. quirk I had as a child.

My youngest child goes through the world by mimicking others. If you ask her by name to sing a song or do a dance she will go into a ball; ask her stuffed animal to sing or for her to play a character and she lights up the camera. I know what you mean about quirk---she has perfection based OCD that basically says if she can't do it perfectly she'd rather not try, but she doesn't have the anxiety or doomsay fears that go along with how OCD is stereotyped.

Back