OT Should Parents Have A Say In Whether Or Not They Vaccinate Their Children?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
That's not necessarily spectrum though---sorting is a classic OCD symptom and things that bother you also fall into sensory processing. Autism is largely a social disorder and it's comorbid with a lot of other disorders that all tend to get clumped together under the umbrella of "Autism Spectrum" when they're actually picked apart and diagnosed separately. Most people just say my child is Autistic and that ends a conversation/questions very quickly because of it's implied social context.
I get that, but as a poster just pointed out, they are all diagnosed as "on the spectrum" in the newest diagnostic manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get that, but as a poster just pointed out, they are all diagnosed as "on the spectrum" in the newest diagnostic manual.

The DSM-5 isn't that generalized but the DSM-5 changed Autism because it took in a separate disorder that was once diagnosed as Asperger's. Lining candy up and eating it one way would not warrant a spectrum diagnosis, at least, not by any reputable diagnostician. The problem I am seeing is that we, as parents, are allowing GP's and Pediatricians diagnose mental and neurological disorders that they lack real experience and knowledge of. A few courses in child psychology doesn't make you capable of diagnosing a child; we saw it with ADHD and it's backlash, Autism isn't slow behind it.

I also think that a lot of parents, in my experience, say autism but when I ask them details about how/when they were diagnosed (my youngest CP was evaluated last year) go blank. They say it without the diagnosis to back it up. Biggest pet peeve of mine is to hear someone casually say, "Well I'm OCD" like it's a joke or some socially acceptable thing to diminish...my youngest daughter is diagnosed with perfect based OCD. If they had any idea what OCD was truly like, I guarantee it wouldn't be joked about or diminished. I see Autism in that light.

Though I do agree with anyone who thinks that the autism diagnostic guidelines have gotten too big---Asperger's should have never been enveloped in.

The DSM-5 isn't that generalized but the DSM-5 changed Autism because it took in a separate disorder that was once diagnosed as Asperger's. Lining candy up and eating it one way would not warrant a spectrum diagnosis, at least, not by any reputable diagnostician. The problem I am seeing is that we, as parents, are allowing GP's and Pediatricians diagnose mental and neurological disorders that they lack real experience and knowledge of. A few courses in child psychology doesn't make you capable of diagnosing a child; we saw it with ADHD and it's backlash, Autism isn't slow behind it.

I also think that a lot of parents, in my experience, say autism but when I ask them details about how/when they were diagnosed (my youngest CP was evaluated last year) go blank. They say it without the diagnosis to back it up. Biggest pet peeve of mine is to hear someone casually say, "Well I'm OCD" like it's a joke or some socially acceptable thing to diminish...my youngest daughter is diagnosed with perfect based OCD. If they had any idea what OCD was truly like, I guarantee it wouldn't be joked about or diminished. I see Autism in that light.

Though I do agree with anyone who thinks that the autism diagnostic guidelines have gotten too big---Asperger's should have never been enveloped in.
I guess it depends on how you read it. I know in our state at least, SPD is considered a spectrum disorder for special education purposes. I think different doctors are interpreting it different ways. I do think you are correct in that doctors without training are making incorrect diagnoses, but even doctors who specialize in ASD disagree about what should be considered "on the spectrum"

I guess it depends on how you read it. I know in our state at least, SPD is considered a spectrum disorder for special education purposes. I think different doctors are interpreting it different ways. I do think you are correct in that doctors without training are making incorrect diagnoses, but even doctors who specialize in ASD disagree about what should be considered "on the spectrum"

When it comes to dealing with the schools it gets even messier. For us, my youngest daughter would have met the criteria for Asperger's under the DSM-IV, but failed to meet the criteria for ASD under the DSM-5. But, for the purpose of school is labelled YCDD Socio-Emotional. And carries a diagnosis of OCD, mimicking or masking ASD potentially ODD. She was evaluated at an actual facility that specializes in Pediatric Neuroscience and Diagnostic & Assessment and is about due for a second round of evaluations to clear up the last two parts.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that there is such an early push for early intervention that getting the label early gets services so why not get a label and then once there is improvement drop it? The issue with this is a true ASD diagnosis can be managed, it can have maintenance, but it won't be cured. Anyone who has a child who is miraculously no longer autistic was never autistic to begin with. But without that diagnosis there is no early intervention. Add into that the new school reform that upgraded the education standards and it's a perfect freaking storm.

And, fwiw, I see the DSM-6 moving in the direction of specifically breaking the diagnostic criteria into high functioning and low functioning for the purpose of diagnosing. Though I do think the DSM series has largely run it's course and the psychological community needs to move towards a better and more efficient way of diagnosing instead of attempting to label every single negative emotion with a diagnosis.

And, fwiw, I see the DSM-6 moving in the direction of specifically breaking the diagnostic criteria into high functioning and low functioning for the purpose of diagnosing. Though I do think the DSM series has largely run it's course and the psychological community needs to move towards a better and more efficient way of diagnosing instead of attempting to label every single negative emotion with a diagnosis.
ITA. I think that labeling just for the sake of a diagnosis in counterproductive.

ITA. I think that labeling just for the sake of a diagnosis in counterproductive.

I do too. It does give a glimpse into the ever changing society we live in though; it's hard to image that even 75 years ago these types of diagnosis' would have a child institutionalized. Now because of the lack of social stigma and the debunked theory about broken genes pools we live in a world that is more accepting. Couple that with a society that is moving towards a more individual based mentality and the DSM series will eventually explode on itself as it tries to explain everything.

DSM-IV was wonderful and written by people qualified to diagnose. DSM-V was written by insurance companies and therein lies the problem.

I hope DSM-VI does break it up, because the "spectrum" makes things too cloudy. I mentioned the M&M sorting kind of facetiously but it is a behavior that, coupled with others, could put me on the spectrum. As a child, I went through a phase of only speaking to my mother and I wouldn't make eye contact or even respond to anyone who wasn't her. I'm extremely introverted and meet all but one or two of the criteria for OCPD. If I was evaluated as a child, I no doubt would have been placed on that spectrum.. except here I am as a perfectly functioning adult. Autism isn't something you "grow out of" or that is cured by a gluten free diet. The spectrum and its criteria are far too broad. That was more my point, so I apologize if you took offense to it.

I should be "on the spectrum" too. Someone upthread mentioned sorting. I was the child sorting toys by color and size constantly. I had issues with sock seams, any lace on clothing, and a host of other things that just "bothered me" and I wouldn't wear them. I am still like that to a degree.

CP does this too-- we even had her tested. Thank God we had a doctor who does not over Dx. She is simple "hypersensitive" and we were told to cut back on artificial colors and corn syrup products. Guess what-- those "autistic symptoms" diminished.

Ok- I have stayed out of this but here is my 2 cents. So much has to do with diet and not other things such as immunizations. IMO parents need to pay more attention to what they put in their kids bodies daily. That is where more answers to some of these health issues will be found.

ETA- I understand there are rare instances where immunizations cause health issues. I am not trying to minimize those. I just think they are being blamed for a lot more than what they cause.

CP does this too-- we even had her tested. Thank God we had a doctor who does not over Dx. She is simple "hypersensitive" and we were told to cut back on artificial colors and corn syrup products. Guess what-- those "autistic symptoms" diminished.

Ok- I have stayed out of this but here is my 2 cents. So much has to do with diet and not other things such as immunizations. IMO parents need to pay more attention to what they put in their kids bodies daily. That is where more answers to some of these health issues will be found.

ETA- I understand there are rare instances where immunizations cause health issues. I am not trying to minimize those. I just think they are being blamed for a lot more than what they cause.
ITA with this. Body chemistry is so complicated and in many cases individualized, and different substances effect kids in different ways. I feel like we can go a long way toward improving overall health by paying attention to what our bodies are telling us. I don buy the idea that a diet can "cure" something like autism, but I do believe in sone cases it can help with symptom management.

When you say "baby" with measles, how old was the baby? What year was this? Are you in the US?

We've had a few here in California that were babies , there were about 60 cases recently stemming from an outbreak at Disneyland. I don't remember all the stats but we've had over a hundred (all ages)

:shimmy:

The OCD thing makes me cringe when I hear it. And when people use Bipolar, Eating Disorders, or any other serious mental health issue in the same context. It's just.........don't :banghead:

DSM-IV was wonderful and written by people qualified to diagnose. DSM-V was written by insurance companies and therein lies the problem.

I hope DSM-VI does break it up, because the "spectrum" makes things too cloudy. I mentioned the M&M sorting kind of facetiously but it is a behavior that, coupled with others, could put me on the spectrum. As a child, I went through a phase of only speaking to my mother and I wouldn't make eye contact or even respond to anyone who wasn't her. I'm extremely introverted and meet all but one or two of the criteria for OCPD. If I was evaluated as a child, I no doubt would have been placed on that spectrum.. except here I am as a perfectly functioning adult. Autism isn't something you "grow out of" or that is cured by a gluten free diet. The spectrum and its criteria are far too broad. That was more my point, so I apologize if you took offense to it.

That sounds like selective mutism.

Insurance companies are never a good idea.

North Carolina has a similar bill going forward too.

As long as medical exceptions are allowed I personally am for it.

Back