All-Star Shoulder Instability

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hi all! In the past few years my shoulder has started to (and gotten worse) completely dislocate when I base and tumble. I have gone to the doctor and he says it's something (Multi-Directional Instability of the right shoulder) I'll grow out of and then he sends me to physical therapy. I have had bone scans, MRI's, X-rays, PT, I've tried a brace and many kinds of tape, and cortisone. Nothing seems to work to fix the popping, regular pain meds ad cortisone have helped with the pain portion. I was curious as to whether or not people have had this problem and how they dealt with it. I'm getting frustrating and wondering whether or not to continue cheering. I just love it so much it would absolutely break my heart to stop.

I had this problem too back when I cheered in college and before that as well. Stopped playing baseball because it would pop out on every throw

Do they physical therapy exercises, they seem minuscule and pointless and you probably don't do them as often as you should be doing them. I still do them occasionally now, ten years later when they are giving me problems. The little muscles that you are building up, help hold your shoulder where it should be and will give you a higher threshold before they pop out.

I'm a guy so this next part applied to me and coed stunting- with extended stunts I was more stable when I rotated my arms slightly in the direction of having my elbows more to the front, also with one arm stunts if I were to go too far over my face with the stunt my shoulder would come out, but if I lined up just to the side of my face it was ok. Find what works for you.

I eventually stopped doing round off handsprings after it popped out in the middle of a game doing that. But I was a self taught for the most part tumbler so I'm sure there were some technique issues that I could have cleaned up to fix it if I knew then what I know now.

Craziest part- when it would pop out I would be sore for a week or two but still be able to stunt fine, but it really hurt a lot to clap

So to recap- do the therapy and figure out the angle that your shoulder works best at

I had this problem too back when I cheered in college and before that as well. Stopped playing baseball because it would pop out on every throw

Do they physical therapy exercises, they seem minuscule and pointless and you probably don't do them as often as you should be doing them. I still do them occasionally now, ten years later when they are giving me problems. The little muscles that you are building up, help hold your shoulder where it should be and will give you a higher threshold before they pop out.

I'm a guy so this next part applied to me and coed stunting- with extended stunts I was more stable when I rotated my arms slightly in the direction of having my elbows more to the front, also with one arm stunts if I were to go too far over my face with the stunt my shoulder would come out, but if I lined up just to the side of my face it was ok. Find what works for you.

I eventually stopped doing round off handsprings after it popped out in the middle of a game doing that. But I was a self taught for the most part tumbler so I'm sure there were some technique issues that I could have cleaned up to fix it if I knew then what I know now.

Craziest part- when it would pop out I would be sore for a week or two but still be able to stunt fine, but it really hurt a lot to clap

So to recap- do the therapy and figure out the angle that your shoulder works best at
Thank you! I've found holding my hands differently in stunts has helped slightly and I have done physical therapy a lot! Ill just keep up with that for now I guess

I suffered from the same condition when I cheered going into 9th grade. I went through 4 months of PT and while I saw major improvement, I still wasn't pain free and was still having subluxations. I ended up having surgery to tighten my shoulder capsule and fix a partially torn rotator cuff. I started PT in August, had surgery the day after Christmas and was able to take the mat for the first and only time of the season in early April (no tumbling and was only able to base prep level stunts, otherwise I was a front spot, which sucked, but I wanted to contribute). I was able to stunt & tumble without restrictions that June. I never stopped PT once I started and continued 3-4 times a week for months (bless my parents for driving me early in the morning before school). I had my last PT that July and have maintained some of those exercises 1-2x a week for the past 12.5 years, especially when it flares up. I am indifferent about the surgery when looking back. I later found out I was hyper mobile and shouldn't have had the surgery without committing to getting my other one done. I will also eventually need to have the same shoulder re-done as I get older (sometime in my 30s and then again in my 50s) as the ligaments will eventually stretch out again.

I would highly recommend talking with your doctor about other options if your current treatment isn't helping. A second/third opinion never hurts too. I would also make sure your doctor is educated on cheer (show YouTube video on your phone). My orthopedist and PT were gymnastics fans and became cheer fans while treating me which really helped get me back cheering faster. Feel free to DM me with questions. Good luck in your recovery!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

definitely keep up with your PT! also, have you tried chiropractic? that may sound crazy to some because it's not your spine, but we are fully trained in treating extremities, as well as soft tissue techniques to clean up the muscles and get them back to their full range of motion. no drugs and there are virtually no side effects. depending on the DC you choose and their additional certs, some also do cold laser, stim, taping, AK, etc. not a guaranteed cure, but worth a shot if giving up cheer is your only other choice!

good luck! hope you're feeling better soon!

Back