OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Does anyone know how to make bows like those made by bowsoflondon and Vegas bows? They're sewn fabric bows without any grosgrain ribbon and I've always wondered how they're made because I feel like they would be pretty floppy without a grosgrain base. I tried to attach images but it won't work for me on the app so I hope someone knows what I'm talking about

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
There's a thread about them, it may help to ask there. I was under the impression that there was still ribbon, the fabric was just sewn around it but I could be completely wrong

Does anyone know how to make bows like those made by bowsoflondon and Vegas bows? They're sewn fabric bows without any grosgrain ribbon and I've always wondered how they're made because I feel like they would be pretty floppy without a grosgrain base. I tried to attach images but it won't work for me on the app so I hope someone knows what I'm talking about

The bows are sewn properly and by someone with experience in sewing and how it works. It is not just simply stitching the fabric together an making a bow....Think about a neck tie/bow tie, it is sewn but not floppy. Thereare things such as interfacing that is used to stiffen the fabric, as well as other treatments. This is something I am considering venturing into after doing a few custom orders requesting sewn bows. The turned out beautiful and look great because they were done the right way. In order to make these bows you would have to have a sewing background and know how to use fabric. Especially when working with spandex and you also have to have a specific machine and thread......so it is a bit more complicated than it looks. I have been sewing professionally for over 30 years, so making a bow is very easy for me.

The bows are sewn properly and by someone with experience in sewing and how it works. It is not just simply stitching the fabric together an making a bow....Think about a neck tie/bow tie, it is sewn but not floppy. Thereare things such as interfacing that is used to stiffen the fabric, as well as other treatments. This is something I am considering venturing into after doing a few custom orders requesting sewn bows. The turned out beautiful and look great because they were done the right way. In order to make these bows you would have to have a sewing background and know how to use fabric. Especially when working with spandex and you also have to have a specific machine and thread......so it is a bit more complicated than it looks. I have been sewing professionally for over 30 years, so making a bow is very easy for me.
Exactly the answer I was looking for! Thank you (as always) for your greatly appreciated expertise :)

I know I just asked a question, but in my defense I was on my phone and had a hard time looking through the threads. I made up a plain bow and wore it on my wrist as a corsage to a drag show. The queens signed it (in sharpie) and kissed the fabric (with lipstick). My QUESTION is this, what can i do to preserve their signatures & lip prints on the fabric? Does anybody know of a spray or anything that will work?

Those of you who sell bows, how do you ship team orders without the bows getting squished? Do you put paper or something in the loops?

I usually just pack them neatly is a box and use tissue paper as a stuffer to keep them from moving around. So far I have had no issues. Good luck!

My Cheer Energy birthday today!
ImageUploadedByFierce Board1410454933.228542.jpg

I know I just asked a question, but in my defense I was on my phone and had a hard time looking through the threads. I made up a plain bow and wore it on my wrist as a corsage to a drag show. The queens signed it (in sharpie) and kissed the fabric (with lipstick). My QUESTION is this, what can i do to preserve their signatures & lip prints on the fabric? Does anybody know of a spray or anything that will work?

Spraying it with something like a Krylon Matte Fixative spray might work. It's a fixative that you spray artwork with to make it stick (so a charcoal drawing wont smudge). Make sure the bow is clean as well (apart from the signatures/lipstick), because the fixative will hold EVERYTHING, even dirt. After spraying, I wouldn't try to wash or clean the bow too much.
Also, these fixative sprays are very toxic. When I was an art student we used to spray it under these giant vents/fans that sucked all the air away. Just be careful when you spray, make sure you are in a well-ventilated area.

Krylon #1306 Workable Matte Fixative - BLICK art materials

Back