High School Sick During Tryouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Varsity's main staff is probably having to work from home, or not at all. We're under a stay at home order, and I don't think they qualify as essential. (Their main office is only about a mile from my house).

Thank you. I'm doing my best to be hopeful and look ahead incase we get the "best case" scenario.

Has Varsity said anything about uniforms? What is the usual production schedule? Last year ours were ordered in mid May and delivered in late July. Is that pretty typical?
To my knowledge, they haven't said anything regarding uniform production. I just imagine this is going to push back all the early orderers, making more orders needed in a shorter amount of time. It's not uncommon for teams around here to have tryouts late Feb- early March. All of those Feb, March , April orders likely won't happen before May at this point.

Ads for past production times, I think it varies on when you place it and what uniform you order. We typically order uniforms mid-late May and receive them late July - early Aug. Skirts typically come in faster than our tops.

To my knowledge, they haven't said anything regarding uniform production. I just imagine this is going to push back all the early orderers, making more orders needed in a shorter amount of time. It's not uncommon for teams around here to have tryouts late Feb- early March. All of those Feb, March , April orders likely won't happen before May at this point.

Ad for past production times, I think it varies on when you place it and what uniform you order. We typically order uniforms mid-late May and receive them late July - early Aug. Skirts typically come in faster than our tops.
Total speculation ... but in my mind I’m thinking: (because I’m a planner like this)
I’m assuming they will have a major FLUX of orders with PO’s /payments coming in end end of May/Late June
Causing a noticeable yet manageable back up of production- but I would imagine (it would turn 6-8 weeks turn around into 8-10 Or maybe even 10-12 week turn around for some items) You also have to ask yourselves though, how soon are you going to be needing camp-wear... you also have to assume a lot of camp dates will get pushed back anyway. (Campus closures, gathering restrictions varying by states)
Also, I can’t see too many people rushing to send their kids to overnight/resort camps a week or two or even a month after this whole thing blows over. I see people barely dipping their toes back into Society When we get the general “okay”-
Hearing AT earliest a possible National return date of April 30th ...(and that isn’t even really a “full return”... it’s just (what is being proposed as “less restriction”... May/June will be super “iffy” (many schools already canceling summer school sessions, proms, graduations etc... )
I can’t see any kind of sense of normalcy returning until LATE July/Aug then MAYBE a boom of socialization in Sept/Oct (if there is evidence of general good health)
So while camp clothing and production might be pushed back, I’m assuming some camp attendance will be pushed back as well... and while some uniforms may be pushed back a bit... are we going to have a normal start to our sports seasons (have we even thought of that?!??) I can’t see our cheer competition season being too different... but uniform production would be fine for a June July order to come in for Oct-
On the subject of camps:
Varsity would be wise to ramp up their early fall education programs cause everyone is going to need it

Total speculation ... but in my mind I’m thinking: (because I’m a planner like this)
I’m assuming they will have a major FLUX of orders with PO’s /payments coming in end end of May/Late June
Causing a noticeable yet manageable back up of production- but I would imagine (it would turn 6-8 weeks turn around into 8-10 Or maybe even 10-12 week turn around for some items) You also have to ask yourselves though, how soon are you going to be needing camp-wear... you also have to assume a lot of camp dates will get pushed back anyway. (Campus closures, gathering restrictions varying by states)
Also, I can’t see too many people rushing to send their kids to overnight/resort camps a week or two or even a month after this whole thing blows over. I see people barely dipping their toes back into Society When we get the general “okay”-
Hearing AT earliest a possible National return date of April 30th ...(and that isn’t even really a “full return”... it’s just (what is being proposed as “less restriction”... May/June will be super “iffy” (many schools already canceling summer school sessions, proms, graduations etc... )
I can’t see any kind of sense of normalcy returning until LATE July/Aug then MAYBE a boom of socialization in Sept/Oct (if there is evidence of general good health)
So while camp clothing and production might be pushed back, I’m assuming some camp attendance will be pushed back as well... and while some uniforms may be pushed back a bit... are we going to have a normal start to our sports seasons (have we even thought of that?!??) I can’t see our cheer competition season being too different... but uniform production would be fine for a June July order to come in for Oct-
On the subject of camps:
Varsity would be wise to ramp up their early fall education programs cause everyone is going to need it
My vote (which I know will never happen) is that we forego the camp requirement for nationals this season. So many teams are going to have limited time/chances to go, but more than that money is going to be tight. Expensive camps, in an already expensive sport, with no time to fundraise, in a crashing economy that MAY get back to normal once its time for nationals flights & deposits.... just ease up on us and remove the unnecessary camp requirement! This upcoming season will be interesting for sure!

My vote (which I know will never happen) is that we forego the camp requirement for nationals this season. So many teams are going to have limited time/chances to go, but more than that money is going to be tight. Expensive camps, in an already expensive sport, with no time to fundraise, in a crashing economy that MAY get back to normal once its time for nationals flights & deposits.... just ease up on us and remove the unnecessary camp requirement! This upcoming season will be interesting for sure!
I believe USA added the credentialing to their nationals attendance requirement as well...
But I have admit, since They have Implemented that requirement -I’ve seen more routine safety consistency in Florida.
But I 100% get what you are saying. Summer is going to be rough and a huge crunch-and that’s if we get any summer at all.
That’s why I say they need to create some more cost effective fall programming. Not “clinics” but curriculum specific “weekends”.
Dance weekends (well, in CA fri-Sat but everywhere else Say/sun) for Pom teams where technique, turns, and cute Pom routines are taught with an ending mini showcase.
Stunt weekends, based on skill level- where one day can be tech, grips, leg use, spinning, inverts, co Ed
And the next day is pyramid construction and transitions, flow and visual then end with a best stunt award, best tech award and best pyramid award.
Then a Cheer or Game-Day Weekend with band chant, crowd effective sign incorporation, chants and cheers, Meg work, teach a sideline cheer dance or two. Award the best crowd leaders of the weekend, and the most spirited.

I think if they make these affordable enough and even bundle them like packages in a series all hosted at nearby schools in fall- kids will still get a camp experience at a lower price point in a less crowded environment closer to home and will get some material and education at a fraction of the cost. They can open each “weekend” with credentialing that satisfies the requirement for nationals.

Thoughts:

This next season is going to be crazy for coaches timewise.

One positive:

If you're a WE HAVE NO TIME TO SPEND 486 DAYS LEARNING THESE CHEERS type coach, this is your time to shine.

Learning cheers/chants is about to get real YOUTUBE/LEARN IT IN YOUR WORKOUT GROUP/DVD up in here.

(That was one thing I always got pushback on. I was never a big fan of "spend 2 hours a day in the summer on cheers that you really should be learning outside this time" person. I didn't mind practicing them/running the fight song/cleaning a couple in a practice/or breaking it down if it is an obvious mess, but the actual learning of all the cheers can't be the entire summer. You and your class need to make friends or watch videos.)

In AZ we have a facebook group with all the coaches and this is all we've been discussing. @CheerItFullOut is correct that USA added the credentialing requirement this year as well, and to be honest if that's still a requirement I just don't think I'll take my kids to Nationals this year. Most of my kids' parents lost their jobs, there is no way I'll be able to ask for even $150 for a two day home camp this summer when most of them are terrified of getting evicted. And this is the common sentiment for everybody who coaches, especially those at Title I and poverty stricken schools. I get that Varsity gets most of it's profits from the camps, and that they'll be hurting after everything that's getting cancelled this season, but from a coaching perspective I just can't swing it. If we don't do Nationals, we don't have to pay for camp or an expensive choreographer, and that may just be the way to go for one year. Sucks for the seniors but like, not much can be done. Maybe I'll try and take a 5 man stunt team to USA and literally just make it based off of who can afford it. Sad to basically have kids buy their way into their spots, but it's looking like that may be the way to go.

We are making some major changes...

We will create our sideline team with virtual try outs and they’ll learn cheers on their own. Camp will be optional but highly recommended for everyone, especially those that want to do comp. They will try out for comp in August.

This allows us to provide a similar experience as we normally do, but gives time for parents to decide if comp is manageable for their budgets. Right now, it seems like it’s the best we can do.

In AZ we have a facebook group with all the coaches and this is all we've been discussing. @CheerItFullOut is correct that USA added the credentialing requirement this year as well, and to be honest if that's still a requirement I just don't think I'll take my kids to Nationals this year. Most of my kids' parents lost their jobs, there is no way I'll be able to ask for even $150 for a two day home camp this summer when most of them are terrified of getting evicted. And this is the common sentiment for everybody who coaches, especially those at Title I and poverty stricken schools. I get that Varsity gets most of it's profits from the camps, and that they'll be hurting after everything that's getting cancelled this season, but from a coaching perspective I just can't swing it. If we don't do Nationals, we don't have to pay for camp or an expensive choreographer, and that may just be the way to go for one year. Sucks for the seniors but like, not much can be done. Maybe I'll try and take a 5 man stunt team to USA and literally just make it based off of who can afford it. Sad to basically have kids buy their way into their spots, but it's looking like that may be the way to go.
This is the perfect time for Varsity to get creative ...I wouldn’t count Nationals out for your kids this year. You never know what modifications will be made. Your post made me so sad :(
I’m hoping and praying somehow your team gets the opportunity to have somewhat of a normal season. I wish and hope this for everyone really ...

Ads for past production times, I think it varies on when you place it and what uniform you order. We typically order uniforms mid-late May and receive them late July - early Aug. Skirts typically come in faster than our tops.
I’m just going to guess that anyone will be lucky to get their uniforms by mid August.

On the subject of camps:
I also can see everyone being wary when it comes to schools/ camps even after we get the “all clear.” I’m picturing just a bunch of home camps right before the next school year starts, in which case uniforms wouldn’t be needed till the first game. But, it seems like a school that can get their team selected by virtual tryout and have moms take exact measurements and send them in will have the best chance of having uniforms for the fall. I feel like that’s the chief reason to do virtual tryouts: uniform ordering.

We have never received anything on time for school cheer. We each paid over $200 in May 2 years ago for camp outfits that arrived in September, a month after camp. Uniforms finally were delivered halfway through last football season. This year there were a couple additional uniforms needed, ordered in June, arrived in November. The team had to use old uniforms the entire season because they must all match. Other items like tanks and jackets arrived after the season was over. Some kids never received shoes or other things they paid for. I cannot understand why anyone still uses Varsity and gives them all this power over the entire sport.

The way 20-21 is looking I feel like you're almost better off NOT ordering a new uni this year if you can get away with it and your current one isn't falling apart.

There are too many variables.

I mean, do states even know when football is going to be able to safely start practicing, let alone have games?

We have never received anything on time for school cheer. We each paid over $200 in May 2 years ago for camp outfits that arrived in September, a month after camp. Uniforms finally were delivered halfway through last football season. This year there were a couple additional uniforms needed, ordered in June, arrived in November. The team had to use old uniforms the entire season because they must all match. Other items like tanks and jackets arrived after the season was over. Some kids never received shoes or other things they paid for. I cannot understand why anyone still uses Varsity and gives them all this power over the entire sport.
Paying in May and receiving in September does not sound like a Varsity shipping time frame... or ANY cheer company for that matter. I’ve been coaching/advising 18 years and
Never have I ever ordered anything and it taken over 10 weeks- EVER, and that’s fully customized items. If you’re not getting your stuff for 5 months- you’re likely running into your coach not actually putting IN the order until everyone is paid in full, your coach is holding onto the items for some reason or you school has a REALLY long drawn out PO process...so your extra two/almost three months in “lag” is not a company process thing- it’s a collection, distribution or school process thing. I’ve even ordered something, returned and re ordered something from Varsity in a shorter time frame than 5 months....

Paying in May and receiving in September does not sound like a Varsity shipping time frame... or ANY cheer company for that matter. I’ve been coaching/advising 18 years and
Never have I ever ordered anything and it taken over 10 weeks- EVER, and that’s fully customized items. If you’re not getting your stuff for 5 months- you’re likely running into your coach not actually putting IN the order until everyone is paid in full, your coach is holding onto the items for some reason or you school has a REALLY long drawn out PO process...so your extra two/almost three months in “lag” is not a company process thing- it’s a collection, distribution or school process thing. I’ve even ordered something, returned and re ordered something from Varsity in a shorter time frame than 5 months....

I can confirm this - Varsity this past season was actually the slowest it has ever been and told me on multiple occasions "we are swamped so uniforms are taking extra time". We ordered ours July 15th and had them within two months, which was still considered a delay for them. The most likely culprit I can think of is the PO process; at my school now, POs get submitted and processed usually within two weeks, but the school I was at previously would take over a full month per PO, and sometimes they'd deny it for something super small (forgetting to put 'not to exceed' before the total) and make me start the process over again.

Back