College Sideline Cheer Prep

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
My CP left cheer to rehab a knee injury, and ended up taking this year off due to COVID, since I'm high risk. She was planning on trying out to be a college mascot, and did UCA Mascot camp last summer, but since then has decided on a college which has a sideline only team to support basketball (women's college, NCAA DIII), and has been thinking that it would be fun to cheer again.

So, what can she do to prep? Are there any good clinics coming up for sideline cheer? Since the high risk person in the household is now vaccinated, and she'll be able to get her first shot next week, COVID is no longer a big concern, so we could do clinics, etc, but most seem focused on competitive cheer, not sideline.

My CP left cheer to rehab a knee injury, and ended up taking this year off due to COVID, since I'm high risk. She was planning on trying out to be a college mascot, and did UCA Mascot camp last summer, but since then has decided on a college which has a sideline only team to support basketball (women's college, NCAA DIII), and has been thinking that it would be fun to cheer again.

So, what can she do to prep? Are there any good clinics coming up for sideline cheer? Since the high risk person in the household is now vaccinated, and she'll be able to get her first shot next week, COVID is no longer a big concern, so we could do clinics, etc, but most seem focused on competitive cheer, not sideline.

A lot of clinics are still virtual due to COVID, hoping things start to get back to normal soon. Most clinics are listed on social media such as Instagram, Twitter, and College Cheer Web pages.

We share free info. in this group: TX. College Cheer Clinics & Stunt Privates

Does she have a background in sideline cheer or just competition?

Some gyms will offer mock tryouts with school cheerleaders trying out for HS/MS/College. I would see if any of yours are doing them.

Performance rec and All Star.
OK, so she's starting from scratch with sideline.

I'd reach out to your local gym and see if there's a former collegiate cheerleader who could do some private sessions. Sideline is mostly about projection, sharp motions and appropriate, collegiate facial expressions. Your daughter should be able to get a good grasp of it in just a few sessions.

She can also try to locate some fight song tutorials on YouTube and spend some time learning college fight songs.

Back